Aside from Crosby, which player has highest skill in league?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
#1 is obviously Crosby for skill. No other player can do this

But after that who else? And don't just say McDavid. Speed isn't everything. There are some slow guys that have super elite skill. Would like to hear some opinions.

That thread title...

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
I

Is speed a skill? I don't think he has as good puck skills as a Kane or Malkin. But he's so damn fast and smart, which i don't view as skill.

Maybe try and make the moves, possess the vision and have the puck on a string whilst travelling at that speed. Perhaps that will enable you to view skill in a whole new light!

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
For those saying McDavid, what is McDavid's highest skill goal in junior?

This is Crosby's

Most boring in hockey. Heck, is probably not even hockey.

I vomit inside everytime I see some parents posting a video of their age X kid doing that and that shootout move when you pick up the puck on your blade and wave it like a f***in magic wand.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Whenever people say this, I can't really figure out what kind of skill it is that Malkin possess that would give him a better toolbox.

What are you referring to exactly? Crosby does so many more things than Malkin, all at an elite level, that I can't really figure out how someone could make that argument.

Malkin at his peak is on par with the average Crosby. Peak Crosby is unlike anyone else in this league right now.

Malkin is alot more skilled than Crosby. Pure puck Skills, Malkin has the best skill in the league

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
It's weird, he has an obsession with Crosby. At times he criticizes him like in the thread you mention, and then a few days later he praises him. The only constant is: he talks about Crosby all the time.
I think he IS Crosby....

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Malkin is alot more skilled than Crosby. Pure puck Skills, Malkin has the best skill in the league

That's just bullocks. If he was "a lot more skilled", he'd produce more, end of story.

Crosby's game is more multi-faceted than any other star in this league, and that's what makes him Sidney Crosby. A lot more "puck skills"? Like what?

People associate skills with fancy dangles way too much. What about edge work? Puck protection? Hand-eye coordination/tipping in pucks? Playmaking? Heck, even taking face-offs?

The only thing Malkin has over Crosby is his slap-shot/one-timer. It pretty much ends there.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
That's just bullocks. If he was "a lot more skilled", he'd produce more, end of story.

Crosby's game is more multi-faceted than any other star in this league, and that's what makes him Sidney Crosby. A lot more "puck skills"? Like what?

People associate skills with fancy dangles way too much. What about edge work? Puck protection? Hand-eye coordination/tipping in pucks? Playmaking? Heck, even taking face-offs?

The only thing Malkin has over Crosby is his slap-shot/one-timer. It pretty much ends there.

Nah. Sid is just a harder worker and a Smarter player. Malkin doesn't grind along the boards like Sid, thats not skill imo.

Malkin 1 on 1 is beating that player most the time.

Sid 1 on 1 is probably dumping the puck in the corner, because he knows he can't beat players 1 on 1.

Like Kovalev, he's probably one of the most skilled players Ever(also more skilled than Sid). But you wouldn't say he's one of the best ever.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Nah. Sid is just a harder worker and a Smarter player. Malkin doesn't grind along the boards like Sid, thats not skill imo.

Malkin 1 on 1 is beating that player most the time.

Sid 1 on 1 is probably dumping the puck in the corner, because he knows he can't beat players 1 on 1.

Like Kovalev, he's probably one of the most skilled players Ever(also more skilled than Sid). But you wouldn't say he's one of the best ever.

Crosby has beaten players one on one on a consistent basis over his entire career...

He plays a more hard nosed game in general, I agree about that. But puck dumping over carrying the puck? I'm not sure we've been watching the same guy.

As for Kovalev being more skilled... Again, what are we talking about here? Because to me it really sounds like you're limiting yourself to dangles here. You can't just explain the difference in production between a guy like Crosby and Kovalev bringing up their effort level. That's just lazy. At some point there's just not much tangible data to back up your claim.

Reactions: authentic

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

That is a ridiculous comment. It's not just about skill. You need high hockey IQ as well. You need to think the game at a high level as well. See ice at an elite level. also if you are skill your compete level might not be as high.

One example is the shootout. Good shootout scorers usually have a lot of skill but if you notice the best shootout scorers. There not top players in the league because it take morw than skill to produce at a high level

For the record when Malkin is healthy in 08 09 12. He produce just as much as Crosby

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
That is a ridiculous comment. It's not just about skill. You need high hockey IQ as well. You need to think the game at a high level as well. See ice at an elite level. also if you are skill your compete level might not be as high.

One example is the shootout. Good shootout scorers usually have a lot of skill but if you notice the best shootout scorers. There not top players in the league because it take morw than skill to produce at a high level

For the record when Malkin is healthy in 08 09 12. He produce just as much as Crosby

So Rob Schremp is one of the most skilled players ever?

C'mon. Again, as is often the case with these threads, a lot of people are missing the big picture and focus on hands and dangles above all else.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
I did not read the whole thread but the darkhorse name that poped up in my head is Milano. Huge skill.

The guy is still rough but when he has the puck, to me, skill wise he feels like Karlsson.

Time will tel if he can bring it to the NHL speed/level but he definitely has unbelievable skill.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Crosby has beaten players one on one on a consistent basis over his entire career...

He plays a more hard nosed game in general, I agree about that. But puck dumping over carrying the puck? I'm not sure we've been watching the same guy.

As for Kovalev being more skilled... Again, what are we talking about here? Because to me it really sounds like you're limiting yourself to dangles here. You can't just explain the difference in production between a guy like Crosby and Kovalev bringing up their effort level. That's just lazy. At some point there's just not much tangible data to back up your claim.

Well. Yes Prime Sid is beating players 1 on 1. Not anymore. He doesn't have the speed.

Neither does Malkin, but he's much bigger and has better puck skills. He's like Mario on 1on1s. He makes it look Effortless.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
Some that come to mind in terms of pure skill and talent are: P. Kane, Ehlers, Nylander, Marner, Matthews, Guadreau, Mackinnon, Drouin, Aho, Ryan, Giroux, Forsberg, Seguin, Debrincat, McDavid, Keller, Domi, Malkin, Panarin, Stone, Barzal, Patrnak, Point, Skinner.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
So Rob Schremp is one of the most skilled players ever?

C'mon. Again, as is often the case with these threads, a lot of people are missing the big picture and focus on hands and dangles above all else.

No but he was really talented. For whatever reason he couldn't translate his game to the nhl. So back to my point it takes more than skill to produce more in the nhl.

So tell us. What big picture are you talking about?

I think maybe you have a different definition of the word skill.

boyko10

44-11-9
Apr 27, 2017
Some that come to mind in terms of pure skill and talent are: P. Kane, Ehlers, Nylander, Marner, Matthews, Guadreau, Mackinnon, Drouin, Aho, Ryan, Giroux, Forsberg, Seguin, Debrincat, McDavid, Keller, Domi, Malkin, Panarin, Stone, Barzal, Patrnak, Point, Skinner.

I'd put Granlund over just about all of them :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad