Speculation: ASB State of the Blackhawks thread

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
The Wirtz family has mostly cornered the market on liquor distribution in the Midwest. Rocky has plenty of dough.
the question was never if he could afford to do this, the topic is does he want to waste money on stupid decision of his employee.....

and since when does an owner wants to keep losing money ??

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
the question was never if he could afford to do this, the topic is does he want to waste money on stupid decision of his employee.....

It's part of business as an NHL powerhouse.
Toronto did it, the Rangers did it. The Hawks are in that class in the NHL.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
that is if he would accept that ltir........ but then again, Rocky doesn't have endless pockets and that will be another contract/salary that will still count against the team .... each yr until the season starts.

source.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Pez68

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
each season the players will need to be available then after the 1st game they go on the ltir.

and rockey pockets, unless you are part of the FO that deals with the profit and lost, no one if rocky has no problems......

see your smart arse answer is answered.

Rockey Pockets, is that Wirtz' nickname?

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

What are you talking about????

Rocky Wirtz losing money? Lmao.

You realize most bigger contracts are insured, right? So if the player is hurt, the Hawks don't pay all of it??? Insurance pays.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
They can LTIR him, so he won't count against the cap, and we literally didn't trade anything to get him.

Oh he counts against the cap, they have to be cap compliant before the season starts and he is included in that formula and that is why Hossa was traded... Come on this is simple stuff I don’t have to explain it to you. The team now either loses assets to get rid of his and Shaw’s contracts or they start the season 8M handicapped and another 7M in Seabrook whether he plays or not, that’s $15M for the next 3 years. That’s great cap management right there.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
What are you talking about????

Rocky Wirtz losing money? Lmao.

You realize most bigger contracts are insured, right? So if the player is hurt, the Hawks don't pay all of it??? Insurance pays.
the profit and lost isn't the only why they the Bhawks can lose money. it is not going deep in the playoff if they even make the playoff.

btw i will admit i did forget about the ins company.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Oh he counts against the cap, they have to be cap compliant before the season starts and he is included in that formula and that is why Hossa was traded... Come on this is simple stuff I don’t have to explain it to you. The team now either loses assets to get rid of his and Shaw’s contracts or they start the season 8M handicapped and another 7M in Seabrook whether he plays or not, that’s $15M for the next 3 years. That’s great cap management right there.
Is that why Toronto put guys on LTIR before the season started? I think you don't understand how it works.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Is that why Toronto put guys on LTIR before the season started? I think you don't understand how it works.

I think you don’t understand how it works buddy. The injured guys count against the cap but once the season starts you can put them on LTIR and use that cap, why on earth would they have traded Hossa then? lol

Reactions: LDF

tgh

Dec 19, 2019
1) Bowman Job approval rating? 9/10
2) Colliton Job approval rating? 5/10
3) Buy, Sell, or Hold at the TDL as of the ASB? None
4) Do you sell Gustafsson no matter what? Yes, unfortunately
5) Trade Crawford? Yes
6) If one of the following players has to be sacrificed this summer, who do you choose?
Kubalik
Strome
Lehner

Reactions: d rake

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I think you don’t understand how it works buddy. The injured guys count against the cap but once the season starts you can put them on LTIR and use that cap, why on earth would they have traded Hossa then? lol
You can put them on LTIR before the season starts, but you can't accrue cap space as the season goes on like you can if you do it after the season starts. They traded Hossa to give them more flexibility with in season moves.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
You can put them on LTIR before the season starts, but you can't accrue cap space as the season goes on like you can if you do it after the season starts. They traded Hossa to give them more flexibility with in season moves.

Correct. The only thing it impacts is the flexibility in season.

Can LTIR be used in the off-season?

Yes, LTIR can be used in the off-season while the 10% off-season cushion is active. LTIR in the off-season is calculated using the basic equation outlined above, which permits a team to exceed the off-season salary cap. To use off-season LTIR the team must provide doctors proof that the player in question will continue to be injured at the beginning of the regular season for 10 NHL games and 24 calendar days.

At the start of the season the teams LTIR relief & ACSL is recalculated when the 10% cushion is removed.
Basic Equation Example

The league upper limit is $69M. A team has an averaged club salary of $68M and a player with a 35+ contract with an AAV of $5M ($3M cap hit and $2M in performance bonuses) becomes injured and the team places him on LTIR. The LTIR relief pools are calculated as follows:
  1. AAV of LTIR player is $5M
  2. Cap space = $69M - $68M = $1M
  3. ACSL = $69M - $1M = $68M
  4. LTIR relief:
    1. Base salary relief pool: $3M
    2. Performance bonus pool: $2M
Once the team operates above $68M, they have $3M in salary relief, and $2M in performance bonus relief pools.

To add to this example, if the team were to recall a player from the AHL with a cap hit of $950k, the ACSL would be maximized, allowing the team to further exceed the league upper limit:
  1. AAV of LTIR player is $5M
  2. Cap space = $69M - $68.95M = $0.05M
  3. ACSL = $69M - $0.05M = $68.95M
  4. LTIR relief: $3M
    1. Base salary relief pool: $3M
    2. Performance bonus pool: $2M
For this reason, when a player is activated onto LTIR, one day recalls are relatively common as they can be used to maximize the ACSL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowch

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007

They COUNT AGAINST THE CAP at season start, meaning the team HAS to start the season 8M in deficit...

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
They COUNT AGAINST THE CAP at season start, meaning the team HAS to start the season 8M in deficit...
Nope. There is an off-season LTIR which they are put on, They don't start in any deficit, they just can't add players throughout the season unless they put guys who started the season on the 23 man roster on LTIR.

All you have to do is look at the Maple Leafs this season. They had Clarkson, Horton, + a few others all on off-season LTIR. Don't take my word for it, look at a real life example.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Nope. There is an off-season LTIR which they are put on, They don't start in any deficit, they just can't add players throughout the season unless they put guys who started the season on the 23 man roster on LTIR.

All you have to do is look at the Maple Leafs this season. They had Clarkson, Horton, + a few others all on off-season LTIR. Don't take my word for it, look at a real life example.

Unless rules changed recently thats how it has always been and I have seen many here repeat that exact thing year after year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad