Speculation: ASB State of the Blackhawks thread

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I ask everyone the following questions, because I can't create a poll for all of them:
1) Bowman Job approval rating?
2) Colliton Job approval rating?
3) Buy, Sell, or Hold at the TDL as of the ASB?
4) Do you sell Gustafsson no matter what?
5) Trade Crawford?
6) If one of the following players has to be sacrificed this summer, who do you choose?
Kubalik
Strome
Lehner

EDIT: Since this was confusing to some, consider Bowman and Colliton's job performance solely from the 2019 draft and the beginning of this season to present day respectively.

Also as an addendum:
If someone needs to be sacrificed to keep all 3 of Lehner/Strome/Kubalik, who do you sacrifice and how?

Last edited:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
for me,

ref #1 fired, he has done more damage than good esp with letting this yr hawks team go without intervening. rating - 4.5

#2 JC job is safe however the question is what was the problem before...... only the team, JC and the FO knows. rating - 5.0 even

#3. both buy and sell. smartly. ratings i do not know.

#4. sell Gus as this is part of my #3 answer. keep Saad.depends on rtn

#4.5. sign Lehner to a extension.

#5. now trade CC and bring up a body.

in the summer, venture into the unknown waters and trade Strome + ......

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I ask everyone the following questions, because I can't create a poll for all of them:
5) Trade Crawford?

If one of the following players has to be sacrificed this summer, who do you choose?
Kubalik
Strome
Lehner

1) Bowman Job approval rating? 7/10 (would be higher if he didn't make the Joki for Nylander trade)
2) Colliton Job approval rating? 6/10 (this is up at least two points over the last few weeks, and can keep climbing)
3) Buy, Sell, or Hold at the TDL as of the ASB? Hold
4) Do you sell Gustafsson no matter what? No, not no matter what
5) Trade Crawford? Unsure

If one of the following players has to be sacrificed this summer, who do you choose?
Kubalik
Strome (cc: @Kevin Musto)
Lehner

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
1) 7/10
2) 6/10
3) Hold still until the trade deadline. Set things up for both sides.
4 & 5) Sell if they admit their out
6) Don't lose any of the 3

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
7/10. Would be 9/10 if he traded the 2nd and 3rd for Nylander instead of Shaw, and kept Jokiharju
6/10. Mixed bag.
Hold. Too early to make the call.
Yes. If the Hawks continue to play well, I'd move him for a young-ish D that is caught in a numbers game. Brandon Montour would be my target in a 3 way deal.
5) Trade Crawford?
As of right now, no. Talk to me in 2 weeks.

Kubalik
Strome
Lehner

Goalies are easier to find than 60-70 point centers with point per game upside and 30+ goal power forwards.

Last edited:

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
I'll assume you're taking about the 19-20 season and not the past.

Bowman: 8/10. I wss initially disappointed in the Dach pick, i had my heart set on Turcotte or Byram... But I've warmed up. Probably should've stayed in the CHL, but he's been good. Dach will be a stud. SB Added a lot of depth to areas of need. Sucks that injuries have sidelined a lot of them. Great extension for Cat.

Colliton: 6/10. A lot is still unknown about whether he has control over the room and if he's legit good at being the main bench boss. I like where we're trending, but I'll need to see a playoff berth for me to raise the score. I do like his commitment to giving ice time to young guys who have shown they deserve it.

As of now, hold. But i would lean towards buy. We're in the playoff hunt and i think selling would be a huge demoralizer. We're in a great position to listen for offers that are too good to pass up.

No. I think before i was very much so in favor of trading Gus, but only because at the time, we weren't really sniffing the playoffs and weren't trending up. Gus is an easy guy to shelter to extract just offense from him. We'll need him if we make the playoffs.

I wouldn't trade Crawford regardless. He's an UFA at year end and if we make their playoffs, his presence would be huge. If we don't, he can at least finish out the season with the boys. I do hope we re sign Lehner in favor of Crow, but i will be sad to see him go.

Sacrifice Strome. I hope we don't. Kubalik is a better two way forward and Lehner is a necessity IMO.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
Colliton's not going anywhere this year, would make Bowman look worse.
Hawks should be sellers with an eye on the future. Trade Crawford if possible. Gus still can't play D.

Reactions: LDF

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Not when they're top 10 in the league
In a perfect world, the Hawks find a way to keep all 3. I wonder if they continue playing well they can trade Saad for a similar style player on an expiring contract plus an asset. I don't want them to end up with another Sharp situation so I hope they'd be proactive.

Something like Saad for Hoffman+Heponiemi as an idea. They give a prospect for the extra year of Saad.

Answer to my addendum: Maatta via trade if possible or buyout.

Maatta might be a sneaky trade piece at the deadline if they're buying where they trade him for an expiring contract but similar player.

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
In a perfect world, the Hawks find a way to keep all 3. I wonder if they continue playing well they can trade Saad for a similar style player on an expiring contract plus an asset. I don't want them to end up with another Sharp situation so I hope they'd be proactive.

Something like Saad for Hoffman+Heponiemi as an idea. They give a prospect for the extra year of Saad.

Answer to my addendum: Maatta via trade if possible or buyout.

Maatta might be a sneaky trade piece at the deadline if they're buying where they trade him for an expiring contract but similar player.
I think Saad is gone. May not happen at the deadline depending on where the team is at, but I could definitely see it happening at the draft.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I think Saad is gone. May not happen at the deadline depending on where the team is at, but I could definitely see it happening at the draft.
if at the TDL, if the Bhawks are out, i think they would trade Saad and roll the dice.

Cowch

Jan 24, 2019
Gonna reply before I read others opinions.

1) Bowman Job approval rating? He really had a great offseason, and other than Smith making our PKs more difficult, every guy he signed has been great. We all knew Shaw and de Haan were injury risk guys, so I cant fault him for that. Add to it that it SEEMS he made the right choice with 3OA. My only gripe is the team record, which he has some control over I suppose. 8.5/ 10

2) Colliton Job approval rating? This has been a rough season overall for him and with the rumblings of players "buying-in" it sounds like theres been some power-struggle. The team is trending in the right direction, but frustrations are still present. He's done a darn good job of managing the goalies, and shakes up the lines pretty regularly to see what works. I can't really justify giving him anything more, given the teams record, than a 6.5/10

3) Buy, Sell, or Hold at the TDL as of the ASB? I'm intrigued by the idea of using that extra LTIR money to go for it, but I just dont know what moves could be made. Either buy or hold, but not sell unless they completely fall apart before the TDL.

4) Do you sell Gustafsson no matter what? This would probably be the first guy I trade if they are, but no. He's been solid, but clearly has been replaced in his offensive role from last year by Boqvist.

5) Trade Crawford? No. He comes off the books at the end of the year and (unless he asks to go) shouldn't be traded away.

6) If one of the following players has to be sacrificed this summer, who do you choose?
Kubalik has helped roll back the clock on Toews, and Lehner is my favorite guy in the league. Guess that leaves me choosing Strome, though I'd be sad to have the Otters broken up again.

Last edited:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
what gets me is this, if the FO can not use the LTIR and benefit from this gift this yr....... then they are completely incompetent.

Reactions: Cowch

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
what gets me is this, if the FO can not use the LTIR and benefit from this gift this yr....... then they are completely incompetent.
If we use up all that cap space, it'll be because we get a big cap hit player or we get a few small cap players.

I think if it's an offer you can't say no to, then go for it. I feel like, using that cap space just to not waste it, it might do more harm than good.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Cowch

Jan 24, 2019
If we use up all that cap space, it'll be because we get a big cap hit player or we get a few small cap players.

I think if it's an offer you can't say no to, then go for it. I feel like, using that cap space just to not waste it, it might do more harm than good.
Right, it's a huge opportunity, but what big name guy is coming off the books at the end of the year and wouldn't cost any of the top prospects? I assume the list is very short, if any at all.

Which is why I think they may pick up some lesser expiring contracts, but then it begs the question of what area could be improved by any of these guys? As much as players bug us here on HFHawks, it's hard to imagine much more than a marginal upgrade over our bottom 3 or bottom pairing. It's why (even with this huge opportinity) just rolling with the current roster might actually be the best idea.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

i can see your point, but it all depends on the player...... right now, the team can trade for a short time player whose team need cap space.

magnificent

Jul 6, 2016
1) 5/10. Tactics of bringing in some questionable players (Strome, De Haan, Nylander, Shaw) and hoping that they'll be good with us were so risky and don't fully work, as I see.

2) 5/10. If a guy like Gallant is interested in coaching this team today, I would give him such opportunity, but I don't see the whole picture. Maybe players fell in love with JC finally. They were playing like a play-off team last 2 weeks. At least, they were close to this comparison.

3) Sell and buy

4) Yes. Can't fool myself anymore. If serious, it depends on what return they could get.

5) Yes. I get the idea that if they're a playoff team, it would be better to have 2 good goalies, but it's still time for rebuilding, so getting something for him would be nice.

6) Kubalik has an elite shot, can do a lot. Not ready to give up on him. And resigning Lehner is important for us.
If our generational third liner wants more than 4.5m, it's him.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Bowman - 9, assuming 2019 - present

JC - 7

TDL - assuming we are in a playoff push. Keep Gus, if De Haan hadnt gotten injured I would have liked to sell Gus, but would rather have Gus in than Gilbert as a full timer.

Crow - hold on to him

If one of those 3 have to go it should be Strome.

Reactions: d rake

Elvis P

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Hawks fan here. Trade Kane, Keith, and Toews for young players and draft picks. Sign and draft young players in the off season and become a perennial playoff team with some cap room again.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Gonna reply before I read others opinions.

1) Bowman Job approval rating? He really had a great offseason, and other than Smith making our PKs more difficult, every guy he signed has been great. We all knew Shaw and de Haan were injury risk guys, so I cant fault him for that. Add to it that it SEEMS he made the right choice with 3OA. My only gripe is the team record, which he has some control over I suppose. 8.5/ 10

2) Colliton Job approval rating? This has been a rough season overall for him and with the rumblings of players "buying-in" it sounds like theres been some power-struggle. The team is trending in the right direction, but frustrations are still present. He's done a darn good job of managing the goalies, and shakes up the lines pretty regularly to see what works. I can't really justify giving him anything more, given the teams record, than a 6.5/10

3) Buy, Sell, or Hold at the TDL as of the ASB? I'm intrigued by the idea of using that extra LTIR money to go for it, but I just dont know what moves could be made. Either buy or hold, but not sell unless they completely fall apart before the TDL.

4) Do you sell Gustafsson no matter what? This would probably be the first guy I trade if they are, but no. He's been solid, but clearly has been replaced in his offensive role from last year by Boqvist.

5) Trade Crawford? No. He comes off the books at the end of the year and (unless he asks to go) shouldn't be traded away.

Kubalik has helped roll back the clock on Toews, and Lehner is my favorite guy in the league. Guess that leaves me choosing Strome, though I'd be sad to have the Otters broken up again.

Wait so if we all knew they were injury prone how can you not fault him for bringing them in? That makes zero sense, shouldn’t he be held more accountable in that case since he’s bringing guys that are signed for a few years that can go down and we are stuck with their dead cap? Thus needing assets to trade them? I fail to understand the logic in that statement unless it’s sarcasm of some sort?

Cowch

Jan 24, 2019
Wait so if we all knew they were injury prone how can you not fault him for bringing them in? That makes zero sense, shouldn’t he be held more accountable in that case since he’s bringing guys that are signed for a few years that can go down and we are stuck with their dead cap? Thus needing assets to trade them? I fail to understand the logic in that statement unless it’s sarcasm of some sort?
Bowman was swinging for the fences with cheap acquisitions in Shaw and de Haan, but injury risks were attached to both players. Sometimes the price a GM pays for a guy who's been hurt a handful of times really pays off, and sometimes it doesn't. I'm summarizing that I can't blame Bowman for at least putting in the effort to create almost an entire defense and wing depth out of nothing and then a couple of guys going down. You can't just blame Bowman for everything, man. Every team in the league has guys who may be considered injury risks, it's just part of sports, not the GMs fault.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Bowman was swinging for the fences with cheap acquisitions in Shaw and de Haan, but injury risks were attached to both players. Sometimes the price a GM pays for a guy who's been hurt a handful of times really pays off, and sometimes it doesn't. I'm summarizing that I can't blame Bowman for at least putting in the effort to create almost an entire defense and wing depth out of nothing and then a couple of guys going down. You can't just blame Bowman for everything, man. Every team in the league has guys who may be considered injury risks, it's just part of sports, not the GMs fault.

You can completely blame him for this, a good GM doesn’t go and get injured players, he makes calculated moves and brings in not only effective players but very durable players because when playoffs come around you need a bunch of iron men not a flimsy injury prone players. I can’t blame Stan for everything but I can certainly blame him for this. I can see after a bit on here they have you convinced to love Bowman as well, “8.5” lol

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Bowman - 8/10 since Q was removed. Would be a 10/10 if he got William Nylander for Jokiharju instead of Alex.

Colliton - 7/10 - They look like a team thats turned the corner. For a team with a lot of turnover and no NHL goalies for most of last year I think he's done a decent job. He's shown a willingness to adapt his system and thats a quality of a good coach. Lets get Ian Mitchell in the mix and see what this team looks like a year from now with a real top 4 again.

TDL - I would hold for now and then consider a depth move or two, ideally for a kid like Sikura so he can get another chance but we give up a piece that would likely not be here beyond this year anyway

Gus - Hold for now, consider him an internal acquisition if we let him go to UFA. Also think he could be a guy they bring back on a 2-3 year deal at an AAV far lower than he would've received last summer.

Crawford - definitely hold; he's a hedge against losing Lehner to injury or free agency and he's still a pretty good player. If Lehner walks I think Stan can lock up Crawford on a 2 year deal at the same or slightly lower AAV. That's a nice plan B.

If I had to lose a player it would be Strome. He's already been removed from center and could potentially stay at wing. He also would command the most dollars between him and Kubalik and also has the highest likelihood to return a top 4 LHD of similar age/status. Kubalik will probably ink a bridge deal for under 4m and he brings a 2 way game that we need more of not less...I suspect Kubalik would be a more effective player in playoff hockey than Strome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad