As younger GM's start replacing the old guard will we see offer sheets being used again?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It is ridiculous GMs will get destroyed if they use offer sheets when it is completely permitted in NHL rules. The NHL would be better off in regards to getting media attention in the summer like the NBA does if it actually was used.
Bobby Clarke got ridiculed for giving an offer sheet to Kesler. Why? And why did Burke launch a media campaign against Lowe over it?
I hope the younger Gms do it. It will take 1 GM to be that trailblazer to do it.

You realize that when you offer sheet you are paying max or max plus for the contract. That you are paying assets. That you are making an enemy of the one gm and telling the others to be wary of working with you.

It adds up to a bad deal

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Meh, more like trying to pick up a girl that some work acquaintance already called dibs on.

So, some female that a co worker has called dibs on(drafted) has also been developed and has become a core part of that co worker's life? Or...am I getting that wrong?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Had Burke signed Phil Kessel to a 5y 5.4m offer sheet it would have cost the Leafs a 1st, 2nd & 3rd round pick. Instead, he traded two 1sts and one 2nd for him, then signed him to a 5y 5.4m contract.

Cutting off his nose to spite his face.
Or more accurately, you don't understand the situation.
Burke wanted the player, an offer sheet would have guaranteed he wouldn't get the player.

Offer Sheets aren't used because they make little sense. That won't change no matter the age of the GM's.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I don't think we'll see more offer sheets until they change the OS rules. Offer sheets don't really make much sense right now for any mid/high-tier player because you'd have to give up so so much. if you're talking about a lower tier player then you're not likely getting to the position where an offer sheet is necessary because they're going to be easier to negotiate with anyway.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Itll take 10 years. If either Chayka of Dubas offersheeted a player this summer, the old boys clubs would collectively shit their pants and then act in unison to retaliate against this. The OBC is so bad for the NHL. Its the dumbest mentality and group think amongst the GMs

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Offer Sheets aren't used because they make little sense. That won't change no matter the age of the GM's.

Offersheets make a ton of sense in the right circumstances. That is why they are prevalent in the NBA. If you can acquire a U25 core player at the expense of a few draft picks, thats a very good thing.

The by product of driving up younger players salaries is just an added benefit as those players will finally be paid what they bring to the team. As team scoring is starting to see a major shift to plauer 27 and younger, these players should start getting paid more and more

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
There are two categories: high compensation offer sheets, and e.g. second round compensation offer sheets.

I think high-compensation offer sheets - the sorts of plays that may be made for big-name RFA's - are unlikely to happen. Why? Because either (a) the compensation will be overpayment, or (b) the team who holds the rights will simply match. In short, the offer sheet system is there as a safeguard to protect high-profile RFA's from getting railroaded.

The question that bugs me is why 2nd-round compensation offer sheets (4M AAV and less) don't get used. The Grubauer situation is an example. Well, let's consider it.

Suppose Grubauer decides that he's not going to sign with whomever holds his rights, but wants to take it into his own hands to solicit offer sheets despite getting traded to a team who wants to make him a starter. In that circumstance, he would be labeled a "bad guy", etc. Nobody would offer him anything. He'd be compared to Yashin.

So, all the RFA offer sheet scenario does is ensure that the Caps trade Grubauer, not that the player gets any say where he plays.

This is a structural situation. The age of the GM doesn't matter. GMs understand that signing RFA's who aren't being railroaded depresses the value of all unsigned RFAs.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Picks are more valuable than they used to be. Teams don't want to give them up unless its really worth it.

It used to be that you could offer sheet someone from a small market team and easily get him. That changed when Nashville matched the Flyers offer sheet for Weber. Small market teams will now actually pay to keep their players.

EclecticDarkness

Nov 5, 2013
Maryland
The teams that can afford to offer sheet players are often teams that are in at least a soft rebuild, so losing picks is counterintuitive to that goal, especially since it would usually take an egregious overpayment to coax a player from a contender to a non contender. Couple that with effectively removing a trade partner for at least a season or two and it’s high risk/low reward to even attempt it in a salary cap based league.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
i view offer sheets as great moves. why not apply pressure to cap strapped teams. if you know they are going to match throw the offer out. Cap space is one of the great assets NHL GM's have and its beneficial to your team for other GM's not to have any.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I know that there are a lot of reasons for GM's not to do offer sheets and these "unwritten rules" among GM's not to do them. However since they are apart of the CBA there is nothing illegal about using them. So shouldn't the NHL get rid of them completely when everyone says how bad they are?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Itll take 10 years. If either Chayka of Dubas offersheeted a player this summer, the old boys clubs would collectively **** their pants and then act in unison to retaliate against this. The OBC is so bad for the NHL. Its the dumbest mentality and group think amongst the GMs

These guys are less likely to use offersheets than the old boys club. They know if the contact is that bad enough it won't be matched then it is that bad they wouldn't want it anyway.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I know that there are a lot of reasons for GM's not to do offer sheets and these "unwritten rules" among GM's not to do them. However since they are apart of the CBA there is nothing illegal about using them. So shouldn't the NHL get rid of them completely when everyone says how bad they are?
They serve a roll even when not used. The threat of an offersheets lubricates the wheels.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Could someone who complains about the lack of offersheet provide me with a list of offersheets offered but not signed by the player in the last 10 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad