"As a reward we sign your brother" examples

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Can you name some examples, when teams decided to sign brothers or other family members of their stars?

Something like Jonathan and David Toews. One of them big star, the other one only so-so player. The question is, why they sign him? was something like "contract bonus" for Jonathan?

In the history we can find another examples. Alain Lemieux played 1 game for Pittsburgh Penguins in 1986/1987.

Keith Gretzky, the brother on Wayne Gretzky, was signed as a scout for Phoenix Coyotes. Accidentally, it was right after the Great One was signed as a head coach.

Marian Gaborik has also a brother. His name is Branislav Gaborik. He was also a scout for Minnesota Wild. Suddenly, when Marian left this team, Branislav was cut from the scouting staff.

Something similar in Ottawa Senators with Marian and his dad Frantisek Hossa. Ok, he was the head coach for Slovak national team. But as i heard, he had absolutely no clue, how to write scouting reports. Especially in English. Not so big surprise, after Marian left Ottawa, his dad also.

Horvath Broncos

Aug 21, 2013
Kimmo's brother Jussi Timonen was signed by Philly and also played handful of games in NHL although he was nothing special even in the FEL.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
It was thought by many that the Islanders acquired Jean Potvin late in the '73 season because they were planning on taking his brother Denis with the first pick in the draft, and wanted to ensure that Denis signed with them instead of going to the WHA.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Morgan Clark drafted 171 overall in 2008 by the Canucks.

Son of Ian Clark the goaltending coach.

Ian Clark was canned and I believe Morgan was not signed or re-signed.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
This thread is made for the Devils. After Scott Niedermayer left the Devils to play with his brother Rob in Anaheim, Lou has signed about any Devils player brother/family member that can skate and hold a stick:

- Zach Parise and his brother Jordan
- Brian Gionta and his brother Stephen, who is having a solid career as a 4th liner with NJD
- Jay Pandolfo, his brother Mike and cousin Mark
- David Clarkson and his brother Doug
- Travis Zajac and his brothers Darcy and Kelly
- Marty Brodeur and his son Anthony

Probably forgetting some more. Most of the guys never had an NHL contract and were at best ECHL players.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Pavel Bure's father Vladimir was a fitness coach with Vancouver from 1994–98, and then later on with the Devils. And in Pavel's last season with the Panthers the team brought in brother Valeri. Not a lot of magic happened between the two though as both were right wingers.

Also Staal's in Carolina.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Kimmo's brother Jussi Timonen was signed by Philly and also played handful of games in NHL although he was nothing special even in the FEL.

Actually, Jussi was here before Kimmo. Jussi was drafted by us, played 14 games in 06-07, and traded to Dallas the next year (Kimmo's first year here). They never played a game together.

Horvath Broncos

Aug 21, 2013
Actually, Jussi was here before Kimmo. Jussi was drafted by us, played 14 games in 06-07, and traded to Dallas the next year (Kimmo's first year here). They never played a game together.

i stand corrected. so it was reward for Jussi to sign his brother i guess.:sarcasm:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Flyers draft Nick Luuko, son of Peter Luuko who was CEO of Comcast Spectacor. The company that owns the Flyers.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
The Flames organization was loaded with Sutters at the height of Daryl Sutter's reign. Scouts, coaches, developmental guys, and a prospect (Brett Sutter). I bet it wasn't a very good workplace for anyone else

Mike Martin

Nov 1, 2013
I think it was 1983 when the Blackhawks signed Jeff Larmer. He was the younger brother of Blackhawks star Steve Larmer.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Stastny brothers.
Peter went to Quebec mainly because Anton was drafted there. Was there even an odd chance that Marian will go to different team?
Not sure how much influence was used in Paul's case - Colorado is successor of Quebec. But there is no leaf falling without a wind.

But Stastny family was not the one and only Slovak family in NHL in the eighties...
Peter Ihnacak had made some noise with his 66 points rookie season in 1983 and voilá..!
Miroslav Ihnacak starts his NHL career in Toronto too. What a surprise :)

More recent example.. Kenny Jonsson and Jorgen Jonsson.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Teemu Numminen was drafted by Winnipeg Jets. Just realized that he is now working as Sabres scout.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Rico and Drew Fata might have played a few games together during the 2003 and 2005 preseason. Drew was drafted by the Pens in 2001, Rico was traded to the Pens in 2003. Drew never played a regular season game with the Penguins.

Rico was waived by the Pens on January 6, 2006. Drew was not offered a contract by the Pens after the 2005-06 season. Maybe not a case of "as a reward, we'll sign your brother", but a bit of a coincidence that one brother is waived and the other is not even qualified on an AHL contract.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
It was thought by many that the Islanders acquired Jean Potvin late in the '73 season because they were planning on taking his brother Denis with the first pick in the draft, and wanted to ensure that Denis signed with them instead of going to the WHA.

Yes this is very true. The two brothers were very close & so the Isles signed him believing it would tip the balance in getting Denis' name on a contract as well, which it did obviously. Jean however as your likely aware was traded a few seasons later to Cleveland (Center Wayne Merrick heading to Long Island) where he struggled, then to Minnesota and eventually winding up in the minors. The Islanders then reacquired Jean (79/80 or thereabouts) where he was used sparingly, sometimes skating in the pre-game warm-ups only to be a healthy scratch. Rather than working the games on the ice, sent to the broadcast booth doing color commentary.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Daniel Sedin would've dropped out of the top-10 (I recall the consensus at the time) if Burke hadn't hoodwinked a deal to draft the brothers together.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Daniel Sedin would've dropped out of the top-10 (I recall the consensus at the time) if Burke hadn't hoodwinked a deal to draft the brothers together.

I'm pretty sure Daniel was a candidate to go 1st (didn't either Tampa or Atlanta want him?). Then there was a fiasco about them not reporting if they weren't picked by the same team.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Then there was a fiasco about them not reporting if they weren't picked by the same team.

I would have liked to see that happen.
laugh.gif
Lindros style. I don't really buy it though. What would have been the alternative? Stay with Modo forever? Sedins would have reported to different teams. And I don't think any of them would have fallen out of the top 10, especially not in a weak year like 1999.

Beastdog75

C'mon Dougie, swat him he's a fly!
Dec 18, 2005
Brick, NJ
This thread is made for the Devils. After Scott Niedermayer left the Devils to play with his brother Rob in Anaheim, Lou has signed about any Devils player brother/family member that can skate and hold a stick:

- Zach Parise and his brother Jordan
- Brian Gionta and his brother Stephen, who is having a solid career as a 4th liner with NJD
- Jay Pandolfo, his brother Mike and cousin Mark
- David Clarkson and his brother Doug
- Travis Zajac and his brothers Darcy and Kelly
- Marty Brodeur and his son Anthony

Probably forgetting some more. Most of the guys never had an NHL contract and were at best ECHL players.

A couple of years back the Devils also invited Peter McMullen Jr (John's grandson) and Rem Vanderbeek (Jeff's son) to training camp. Neither were serious prospects, but I distinctly recall reading an article somewhere interviewing both and Peter came across as a very humble organization-type guy while Vanderbeek seemed like he had a sense of entitlement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad