"As a reward we sign your brother" examples

May 17, 2009
Maine
Reg Bentley played 3 games for the Hawks after he was signed at the urging of brothers Doug and Max

Rene Joliat played on game for the Habs while his brother Aurele was playing for them.

Thomas Coulter played two games for the Hawks while his brother Art was playing for them

Bobby Boucher played one game for the Habs while brother Billy was on their roster.

Doctor Coffin

This may hurt a bit...
May 23, 2013
I think it was 1983 when the Blackhawks signed Jeff Larmer. He was the younger brother of Blackhawks star Steve Larmer.

Actually, they traded Tim Higgins to the Devils for Jeff Larmer in the 1983-84 season, the year after Steve Larmer had won the Calder trophy.

DraftNerd

Jun 30, 2011
Omaha, NE
Definitely not a reward but the Blackhawks signed Terry Broadhurst out of UNO following his junior year then spent a 7th round draft pick on Alex Broadhurst who was committed to UNO but signed with London.

Not a reward but not too often I get to talk about Nebraska Omaha hockey.

Doctor Coffin

This may hurt a bit...
May 23, 2013
This would be a complete opposite of the situations presented in this thread, but it's somewhat interesting to note that the Blackhawks drafted the son of their (at the time) biggest rival's general manager, Marty Nanne, in 1986.

IMLACHnME

Dec 27, 2013
GTA
What about the Mahovlich brothers?

Both the Wings and the Habs brought the two brothers together. Was there - perhaps - some expectation that both Frank and Peter would play better if they were on the same team?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Both the Wings and the Habs brought the two brothers together. Was there - perhaps - some expectation that both Frank and Peter would play better if they were on the same team?

Interesting question & may have been a factor but I dont think the over-riding factor as Frank was a Star in his own right, Pete up & down in the Red Wings organization since being drafted by them in 63. In fact he was thinking of quitting hockey until a trade took him to Montreal. Pollock was intrigued by his size (6'5" & 230lbs, the biggest player in the NHL for some time) & sent him to Nova Scotia for more training & seasoning. He really thereafter came in to his own helping Montreal to 4 Cups starting in 71, playing with Lafleur & Shutt & so on before being traded again to Pittsburgh (where he was a fan favorite). Frank meanwhile had bolted to the WHA so although their paths criss crossed & briefly connected I think more happenstance than by design..... Peter as well almost the complete opposite of the tightly wound Frank. Real prankster with an off the wall sense of humor. Would light peoples newspapers on fire when they were reading them n'whatnot....

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
In 2012, Boston drafted defenseman Matthew Benning in the 6th round. His Uncle is Boston's assistant GM Jim Benning.

Speaking of relatives, Mark Howe was good enough a prospect to make the 1972 US olympic hockey team and scored over 100 points for the memorial cup winning Toronto Marlies in 1973.

Marty Howe also played on that Toronto squad. Does anyone know if Marty was considered that strong a prospect or did he ride the Howe gravy train to the WHA?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
In 2012, Boston drafted defenseman Matthew Benning in the 6th round. His Uncle is Boston's assistant GM Jim Benning.

Speaking of relatives, Mark Howe was good enough a prospect to make the 1972 US olympic hockey team and scored over 100 points for the memorial cup winning Toronto Marlies in 1973.

Marty Howe also played on that Toronto squad. Does anyone know if Marty was considered that strong a prospect or did he ride the Howe gravy train to the WHA?

Well my understanding of it is that Marty didnt even take up hockey seriously until a sophmore in High School, his sport Football originally (linebacker). However, he made the Toronto Marlies which was no small feat back then as there were plenty of talented Defencemen around vying for a roster spot with that legendary club.

He missed part of the 71-72 season in which they won the Memorial Cup with mono then as you know signed early with his brother & eventually Dad Gordie as underagers with the WHA. Montreal Drafted him in 74 (51st overall) but obviously never did play for them. Played forward at times, but better known as a reliable Defenceman. I think partially excellent player, won a Memorial Cup, & partially marquee name which is why Houston Drafted him & Mark early like that. 3rd brother Murray went on to become a Doctor.

....one other Howe, Gordies brother Vic, did suffer from the Howe name to some degree. Not overly talented but signed none the less by the Rangers because of his pedigree where he only played 33 games (also a RW) spending most of his time in the minors. No matter what he did, wasnt Gordie, shadow somewhat cast over him as a result.

Mad Habber

Jul 5, 2006
From what I remember, the Habs drafted Petr Svoboda in 1984. 2 years later they drafted his older brother Karel just to bring him over to N America so Petr wouldn't be so lonely. Petr was drafted as an 18 year old from the old Czeckoslovakia. Karel, then 26, played one season in Sherbrooke in the AHL then was off to Germany.

The Habs also traded for Jocelyn Lemieux to play with brother Claude. Jocelyn only played 1 game with the Habs.

Mark Hunter was drafted not to join a brother on the Habs but to counter brother Dale on the Nordiques. Older brother Dave was a Montreal draft pick but never played for them.

The Habs also drafted Patrick Lebeau when they saw what his undrafted, but signed as a free agent brother did for them in the AHL. 70 goals 64 assists as a rookie.

Doctor Coffin

This may hurt a bit...
May 23, 2013
The Habs also traded for Jocelyn Lemieux to play with brother Claude. Jocelyn only played 1 game with the Habs.

One game in 1988-89, but he did suit up for 34 Montreal games in 1989-90 before Mike Keenan traded for him early in January, 1990.

Mad Habber

Jul 5, 2006
One game in 1988-89, but he did suit up for 34 Montreal games in 1989-90 before Mike Keenan traded for him early in January, 1990.

Did that from memory, and I couldn't remember him playing more than that one game. But now that you mention it. He did come back the next season and play on the 4th line before getting traded to Chicago.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
oilers did something and then thought they had screwed up and got the player they wanted

this is a story that changes depending on who is telling it

oilers do the following trade

1994-Mar-21 Todd Marhant is traded from New York Rangers to Edmonton Oilers for Craig MacTavish

when Marchant showed up with the oilers someone made an observation that he was 3 to 4 inches shorter and twenty pounds lighter then the scouting report they had. Todd had a brother who was 6'2 and 205 pounds. It was suggested that the oilers were looking at Terry's bio and stats when they were talking trade with the Rangers.

Oilers drafted Terry in the 1994 draft

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
Didn't Rob Niedermayer get a nice contract from the Ducks simply so they could sign his brother? I remember there was some speculation.

Well the Ducks traded for him in 2003. The Devils also wanted to trade for him before or at that point because of the same thing with Scott.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
In what was IMO one of the classiest moves I have ever seen, the Tampa Bay Lightning drafted David Carle the younger brother of Matt Carle in the 7th round of the 2008 draft.

What makes this such a class act move was prior to the draft it was known the David could no longer play hockey due to health complications which was a shame because the kid had some talent.

The Lightning used their 7th round pick on a player that they knew would never be able to play the game again. We have seen numerous players become NHLers from the 7th round so I do not take that move lightly as they simply did not have to do that.

To continue on classy moves, the University of Denver also honored his scholarship and had him be one of their coaches for his 4 years of collegiate hockey.

Stuff like this never gets talked enough about, but this is the good side of sports that you rarely hear about. Class act Tampa Bay and University of Denver for helping make this kids dreams come true despite him never being able to play the game again. :handclap: :handclap:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
In what was IMO one of the classiest moves I have ever seen, the Tampa Bay Lightning drafted David Carle the younger brother of Matt Carle in the 7th round of the 2008 draft.

What makes this such a class act move was prior to the draft it was known the David could no longer play hockey due to health complications which was a shame because the kid had some talent.

The Lightning used their 7th round pick on a player that they knew would never be able to play the game again. We have seen numerous players become NHLers from the 7th round so I do not take that move lightly as they simply did not have to do that.

To continue on classy moves, the University of Denver also honored his scholarship and had him be one of their coaches for his 4 years of collegiate hockey.

Stuff like this never gets talked enough about, but this is the good side of sports that you rarely hear about. Class act Tampa Bay and University of Denver for helping make this kids dreams come true despite him never being able to play the game again. :handclap: :handclap:

Any source for this?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
How was it with Kory Kocur?

He was drafted in 1988 by Red Wings in 1th round (17).

Acording to Eliteprospects, he is the cousin from Joey Kocur and Barry Melrose.
Both of them were already members of the Red Wings franchise (Belrose in AHL).

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
How was it with Kory Kocur?

He was drafted in 1988 by Red Wings in 1th round (17).

Acording to Eliteprospects, he is the cousin from Joey Kocur and Barry Melrose.
Both of them were already members of the Red Wings franchise (Belrose in AHL).

Some scouting reports had Kocer ranked high--but was a very rough diamond in the rough who some thought could have turned into a good second liner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad