As a pro-PA guy: I would like to offically take Steve Nash up on his offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This isn't a rant, this is a rational though, i would like some constructive feedback on

A few days ago, Steve Nash said the NHLPA and the NBAPA could team up if the NBAPA is locked out

NHLPA and NBAPA vs. all the owners. The owners want to play hardball, I'm all up for it. Let's bring more people into this because the ones that are in it aren't getting it done. Half the owners in the NBA own NHL teams, if not the arenas, if not all 3. Hell is going to freeze over before arena owners let their arenas sit dark. if Steve Nash is serious about what he said about the NHLPA and the NBAPA teaming up, this could potentially be the worst decision of some of these owners lives to let the season be cancelled.

What happens if this does happen? The NHLPA has nothing to lose if they team up with the NBAPA, and Steve Nash claims that they don't have anything they want, so they can afford to wait as long as they want to get something, and can use the NHL's lockout as leverage to get back onto the court first.

It's really a sadistic but well-thought and creative plan.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Won't work when the NHL declares an impasse.

And it'll be worse when the NBA declares an impasse as well as the talent-level of non-NBA players in the world is very high.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
You might want to look at the NBA's tragicomical performence in their last work stoppage before making that offer. Fettering yourself to a coarpse.

Phanuthier*

go kim johnsson said:
What happens if this does happen?
Well, what would happen is... no NBA and no NHL.

Hey, why not just get the NFL in on it too? Triple tag team!!!

rwilson99

go kim johnsson said:
This isn't a rant, this is a rational though, i would like some constructive feedback on

A few days ago, Steve Nash said the NHLPA and the NBAPA could team up if the NBAPA is locked out

NHLPA and NBAPA vs. all the owners. The owners want to play hardball, I'm all up for it. Let's bring more people into this because the ones that are in it aren't getting it done. Half the owners in the NBA own NHL teams, if not the arenas, if not all 3. Hell is going to freeze over before arena owners let their arenas sit dark. if Steve Nash is serious about what he said about the NHLPA and the NBAPA teaming up, this could potentially be the worst decision of some of these owners lives to let the season be cancelled.

What happens if this does happen? The NHLPA has nothing to lose if they team up with the NBAPA, and Steve Nash claims that they don't have anything they want, so they can afford to wait as long as they want to get something, and can use the NHL's lockout as leverage to get back onto the court first.

What do you think of Article 7 of Goodnow's Cap offer... which would have guaranteed bankruptcies with a salary floor at 46% of league revenues, and a Hard cap of 101% of league revenues in the event of a 24% reduction in revenues for 05-06?????

What do you think of your leader now? Well it seems you like sadistic, well thought creative plans.

Steve Nash is an idiot.
:mad:

Phanuthier*

Anthony said:
um

how exactly would they 'team up'
Maybe you'll see Steve Nash and Joe Sakic hold up strike signs and march in front of their respective statdiums?

myrocketsgotcracked

go kim johnsson said:

great, nhl owners had a bad deal before, so instead of negotiating with them we'll bring in their other investment as a threat and try to scare them into signing a bad deal again. if they were getting screwed before, they are now, and instead of it being one asset, now they can get screwed with 2 different assets. yay!

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Steve Nash is probably one of the only NBA'ers that even cares about hockey. Most likely, the players will view the NHL situation (if they think of it at all) as "we don't want that happening to us", be happy with what they have, and get a new deal without missing games. Regardless of what Nash may say, NBA players are going to look after themselves. If the NHLPA was a powerful entity like the MLBPA or NFLPA, maybe they would think about it. Having the support of the NHLPA would lend nothing to the NBAPA.

The NBA is a huge money-maker for a lot of people and the pressure would be immense if a lockout ever took place. Unfortunately for us, Hockey doesn't sell here in the USA and there is hardly any external pressure for a deal, hence the long drawn-out process and cancellation. For this reason I highly doubt the NBA misses any games.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
go kim johnsson said:

The tumbleweed blows by....

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Jovanovski = Norris said:
Won't work when the NHL declares an impasse.

They can declare it all they want. The NLRB won't grant it.

The NBAPA can use the NHLPA as leverage. They draw better business than the NHL. If they're both out then the arenas are dark, the NBAPA could pull the NHLPA with them. Half of owners who own a team in both leagues will be under major durress picking one or the other. They could take the NHLPA where they will most likely get a better deal, or give into higher demands from the better product. Take your pick.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hasbro said:
You might want to look at the NBA's tragicomical performence in their last work stoppage before making that offer. Fettering yourself to a coarpse.

Agreed, the NBAPA folded like an accordian last time.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
John Flyers Fan said:
Agreed, the NBAPA folded like an accordian last time.

Which is why they'll be out for blood this time around. They know what they gave up and they will want to get something back.

This could also become a race to see who gets a deal done first. Either way, someone is folding big time again. There are even more chips on the table now.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Fishhead said:
Steve Nash is probably one of the only NBA'ers that even cares about hockey. Most likely, the players will view the NHL situation (if they think of it at all) as "we don't want that happening to us", be happy with what they have, and get a new deal without missing games. Regardless of what Nash may say, NBA players are going to look after themselves. If the NHLPA was a powerful entity like the MLBPA or NFLPA, maybe they would think about it. Having the support of the NHLPA would lend nothing to the NBAPA.

The NBA is a huge money-maker for a lot of people and the pressure would be immense if a lockout ever took place. Unfortunately for us, Hockey doesn't sell here in the USA and there is hardly any external pressure for a deal, hence the long drawn-out process and cancellation. For this reason I highly doubt the NBA misses any games.

He cares diddly squat about Hockey. When he played for the Mavericks he was interviewed and asked if goes to many Stars games and his answer was -- not a one.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
go kim johnsson said:

What a stupid idea. Steve Nash is a dunce. As other have said, why would the NBAPA tie themselves to the sinking ship that is the NHLPA.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
go kim johnsson said:

The NBAPA can use the NHLPA as leverage. They draw better business than the NHL. If they're both out then the arenas are dark, the NBAPA could pull the NHLPA with them. Half of owners who own a team in both leagues will be under major durress picking one or the other. They could take the NHLPA where they will most likely get a better deal, or give into higher demands from the better product. Take your pick.

However, I don't think the NBA will declare an impasse.
Though NBA players are some of the most classless individuals in the media, they, collectively aren't as stupid as the NHLPA and won't let an ego lose more than one billion dollars in revenues for them. Besides, why would the owners cave? Most NHL like the Canucks, Oilers, Senators, etc don't have an active basketball team and they aren't dying.

And what if the owners try to break this union of the union? What if, hypothetically, they offer the NBAPA a great deal contingent upon the fact that they must break the alliance with the NHLPA? Would the NBPA really give a rat's behind about it's lesser brother?

The NHL players should get their heads out of their asses. They can be proud and try to fight this to the end but if this lockout is about money, the lost season is a sunk cost. Why not try to salvage the next season? That should be 100% of their priority.

rwilson99

go kim johnsson said:
They can declare it all they want. The NLRB won't grant it..

I'm sure the NLRB will love the press conference where their actions during the 94 MLB strike are directly linked to the explosion in steroid abuse in the game.

I'm also sure the current president will sit by and allow that mistake to be repeated. (sarcasm)

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:

I don't know the legalities of it, but it sounds like an unfair labor practice to me. Maybe it isn't
:dunno: but if that's the case, it should be.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Icey said:
He cares diddly squat about Hockey. When he played for the Mavericks he was interviewed and asked if goes to many Stars games and his answer was -- not a one.

My point exactly. And Steve grew up in Canada - if he cares more than most, imagine what the other ones think about it. When asked about teaming with the NHLPA most players would respond with "who?"

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hoek said:
Traitor.

Leave punkball to the punks.

It may be punkball, but it generates much more revenue. I might listen to what some of these guys have to say.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
It may be punkball, but it generates much more revenue. I might listen to what some of these guys have to say.

So, if I'm to understand, you're suggesting the NBAPA would subjugate its own best interests for that of the NHLPA? Uhhh .... OK. Very likely.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Hoek said:
Traitor.

Leave punkball to the punks.

Intersting point.

To be honest, I am not trying to make a racial generalization here but this is reality (at least imo) -

Basketball players and hockey players are two different breed of athletes. Basketball players are more vivacious and outgoing. They tend to be less-abiding to authority and are vocal in the media. Even though hockey players are rougher in the hockey rinks, they are usually classy individuals in the community and oblige by most social standards. Also, hockey players seem to be better "team-players" whether in an union setting or a community.

Because of this, the NHLPA was able to get by so long with a seemingly united support from all hockey players. However, I don't think the NBAPA will be as cooperative when the going gets tough. Its' members will publically denounce the union if they believe they are getting shafted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad