As a pro-PA guy: I would like to offically take Steve Nash up on his offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Well it's a lot easier to have an anti-cap stance when everyone's rolling in dough. They're in two completely different situations. If I were the NHLPA I wouldn't trust the NBAPA to have my best interests in mind, especially since if anything hockey is a hindrance to them getting even more money.

jcab2000

Mar 3, 2004
Raleigh, NC
go kim johnsson said:
This isn't a rant, this is a rational though, i would like some constructive feedback on

A few days ago, Steve Nash said the NHLPA and the NBAPA could team up if the NBAPA is locked out

NHLPA and NBAPA vs. all the owners. The owners want to play hardball, I'm all up for it. Let's bring more people into this because the ones that are in it aren't getting it done. Half the owners in the NBA own NHL teams, if not the arenas, if not all 3. Hell is going to freeze over before arena owners let their arenas sit dark. if Steve Nash is serious about what he said about the NHLPA and the NBAPA teaming up, this could potentially be the worst decision of some of these owners lives to let the season be cancelled.

What happens if this does happen? The NHLPA has nothing to lose if they team up with the NBAPA, and Steve Nash claims that they don't have anything they want, so they can afford to wait as long as they want to get something, and can use the NHL's lockout as leverage to get back onto the court first.

It's really a sadistic but well-thought and creative plan.

Maybe the NHLPA could get Teamsters to picket with them in front of arenas. Maybe we'll see Chris Pronger picketing in front of a Walmart.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
CarlRacki said:
So, if I'm to understand, you're suggesting the NBAPA would subjugate its own best interests for that of the NHLPA? Uhhh .... OK. Very likely.

if, being the key word there.

The NBAPA could use the NHLPA for good or for bad. They're telling the NHLPA not to fall into the same boat the NBAPA did. I don't call that trying to sabotage their efforts. I am saying they are running a better business than the NHL is, so it might be beneficial to listen to what they have to say.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
I'm failing to see the motivation here. The NBA players are all going to decide to give up a year's salary, just to be union brothers?

Not gonna happen.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
go kim johnsson said:
Which is why they'll be out for blood this time around. They know what they gave up and they will want to get something back.
And not a lick smarter for it. Stern is a whole different animal than Bettman and the NBA players... you think the NHL rank and file has an image problem?!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hasbro said:
And not a lick smarter for it. Stern is a whole different animal than Bettman and the NBA players... you think the NHL rank and file has an image problem?!

Stern is a lot better animal though. He is not stupid. He raised the NBA from the doldrums of having their finals games on tape delay. He has done a lot of good for his sport.

Jaysfanatic*

Steve Nash.....I used to be proud of this guy, but, he said the NBA shouldn't have a cap whatsoever, cause they're not being paid fairly.......umm, 11 million per season is what you're getting, shut up you son of a *****.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
Devilsfanatic said:
Steve Nash.....I used to be proud of this guy, but, he said the NBA shouldn't have a cap whatsoever, cause they're not being paid fairly.......umm, 11 million per season is what you're getting, shut up you son of a *****.

Don't forget, he probably has a dog to feed

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
go kim johnsson said:
This isn't a rant, this is a rational though, i would like some constructive feedback on

A few days ago, Steve Nash said the NHLPA and the NBAPA could team up if the NBAPA is locked out

NHLPA and NBAPA vs. all the owners. The owners want to play hardball, I'm all up for it. Let's bring more people into this because the ones that are in it aren't getting it done. Half the owners in the NBA own NHL teams, if not the arenas, if not all 3. Hell is going to freeze over before arena owners let their arenas sit dark. if Steve Nash is serious about what he said about the NHLPA and the NBAPA teaming up, this could potentially be the worst decision of some of these owners lives to let the season be cancelled.

What happens if this does happen? The NHLPA has nothing to lose if they team up with the NBAPA, and Steve Nash claims that they don't have anything they want, so they can afford to wait as long as they want to get something, and can use the NHL's lockout as leverage to get back onto the court first.

I would think that the NLRB would have an issue with this as these 2 groups would be forming a sort of monopoly and would seem to go against anti-trust laws. Maybe not exactly as written, but if the owners aren't supposed to collude with each other, why should the players be allowed to circumvent the laws to gain an advantage.

Maybe I'm not explaining this opinion clearly enough, but that is the best I can do.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Devilsfanatic said:

Yup. Great guy that Nash. How come all these people are so creepy?

Mountain Dude

Why exactly would the NHL owners collapse even if that happened?

"Oh yeah, well they've got the NBAPA on their side, I guess as a smart business man I should just start taking loses so that the arenas will open up."

Cully9

Oct 15, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
Which is why they'll be out for blood this time around. They know what they gave up and they will want to get something back.

I seem to recall an NBA player agent telling ESPN's Chad Ford a couple of months ago that his clients wouldn't last a month in a work stoppage because of their outrageous spending habits (all while the guys are supposely readying for the possibility of a work stoppage). Don't be so sure the inmates are really ready to take it to the owners on that front.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
Stern is a lot better animal though. He is not stupid. He raised the NBA from the doldrums of having their finals games on tape delay. He has done a lot of good for his sport.

It didn't hurt to have Magic, Bird and Jordan coming into the league at the start of his tenure. No to mention Nike's explosion onto the scene. Nike has created more NBA superstars than David Stern and all his marketing people combined.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Cully9 said:
I seem to recall an NBA player agent telling ESPN's Chad Ford a couple of months ago that his clients wouldn't last a month in a work stoppage because of their outrageous spending habits (all while the guys are supposely readying for the possibility of a work stoppage). Don't be so sure the inmates are really ready to take it to the owners on that front.

Insert child support joke here.

CoolburnIsGone

Splatman Phanutier said:
Well, what would happen is... no NBA and no NHL.

Hey, why not just get the NFL in on it too? Triple tag team!!!
What's the saying that I'm looking for...oh yeah, "be careful what you wish for cause you just might get it." There's probably a few NFL players that aren't too thrilled with their CBA (particularly the non-guarnateed contracts part of it). And I'm sure the baseball union is following things closely (particularly since Fehr and Goodenow are acquaintances). Forget the triple tag team...it just may be a four way dance!!

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
If all the player unions joined in they just might create a backlash that kills all the professional sports at once. I mean really could it get any more ridiculous? I'm starting to truly see what fans of collegiate sports are talking about.

PK*

If I was the owner of both an NHL team and NBA team and the players unions decided to team up, I'd say "Screw this" and just close both franchises. Imagine every team does that. Who's screwed now ?

Phanuthier*

Coolburn said:
What's the saying that I'm looking for...oh yeah, "be careful what you wish for cause you just might get it." There's probably a few NFL players that aren't too thrilled with their CBA (particularly the non-guarnateed contracts part of it). And I'm sure the baseball union is following things closely (particularly since Fehr and Goodenow are acquaintances). Forget the triple tag team...it just may be a four way dance!!
I say bring it. The last time those NFL dolts thought it would be a good time to strike, their union got crushed when they realized there were schmo's who could do just as decent of a job as they could.

I'd love to see all 3 unions (well 2, really, since the NFL's is almost all but crushed) march around the arena holding protest signs while the 3 leagues go to replacement players. Personally, I think these prima donna's wouldn't make it.

I'll be honest, I'd love to see the league kick back and crush the union. The NHL probably won't get a chance to do this again, so they better make the best of it.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
go kim johnsson said:

It's a brilliant plan. The problem is you posted it on a board full of children

Lets take the Leafs for instance. Same owner, same building as the Raptors. The people who bought the corporate boxes are going to be very unhappy spending 250,000 a year to have the right to watch the backstreet boys reunite. Most bands actually would not book concerts in a building that has 2 strikes (lockouts) going on at same time. So in fact you have handcuffed the owners into not gaining revenue period from their investments in the buildings until both are solved.

The bad part is the victims who work for the building most likely will be layed off totally. They are in fact a casualty of war.

And lets get one thing straight, this IS a war now. The players so far have lost more than the owners. In a few months the owners will have lost more than the players when the value of the teams go down by 35%. Then they are on even footing again

An alliance of the 2 associations is more than a good idea. It's something that will probally happen. Just like the owners are together the players will be together too.

No matter what happens I really hope noone expects to see NHL hockey for at least another year. The players now have lost too much not to make the owners lose big time too.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
go kim johnsson said:
Damn right, so you'd be dragging a better negotiator in on this while tying yourself to a weaker union.

dedalus

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
NataSatan666 said:
An alliance of the 2 associations is more than a good idea. It's something that will probally happen. Just like the owners are together the players will be together too.
Like the proposal that the players should form their own league, this is pie in the sky. There's a reason it's been uttered by "some guy" in the NBA and no one of importance in either Association's brass.

NataSatan666 said:
(1.) The players so far have lost more than the owners. In a few months the owners will have lost more than the players when the value of the teams go down by 35%. Then they are on even footing again .... (2.) The players now have lost too much not to make the owners lose big time too.
I hope you see the contradiction of your own position. If you assert that the owners will have lost the same amount as the players by mid-summer, you cannot logically claim that the players will have more resolve because they've lost "too much."

If their losses are equal as you claim in your first statement, BOTH have lost "too much" and therefore both should have, by your own reasoning, equal resolve.

Here's the thing, the players might very well want to make the owners pay, but do they have the means? Do they even have the desire to "make the owners lose big time too"? I suspect that on this last point, you're projecting your own malice onto the players.

Last edited:

Phanuthier*

Lets take the Leafs for instance. Same owner, same building as the Raptors.
Name me all the organizations that have NHL owners also owning NBA teams. Go ahead, please.

Most bands actually would not book concerts in a building that has 2 strikes (lockouts) going on at same time.
And why?

So in fact you have handcuffed the owners into not gaining revenue period from their investments in the buildings until both are solved.
So how about replacement players?

And lets get one thing straight, this IS a war now. The players so far have lost more than the owners.
So since these players have lost more then the owners because they weren't playing, they should sit out even longer? And join forces with more nimrods who have a career lifespan of less then a dozen years? Brillant plan.

An alliance of the 2 associations is more than a good idea. It's something that will probally happen.
Once again, replacement playerse. Again, I would love to see this happen. Really. Crush the NBAPA and NHLPA all together and get pro-sports back on track.

The lifespan of a pro-athlete is very short. 3-4 years for a NFL player, 6-7 for a NHL player, NBA who knows, but if these dolts decide to strike together... well that would just be comical to see them run each other down into the ground. Twenty bucks says that if that ever happens, the leagues would go to repalcement players and you'll be seeing Bryan McCabe at your local Safeway asking you "Paper or plastic?"

The players now have lost too much not to make the owners lose big time too.
Yeah, the players arn't losing anything. Just likely 25% of their life income. And riding the beat up grayhounds in the UHL, taking 14 hour bus trips. And likely coming back only to have salaries linked to revenue, placing the cap at, oh... 20 million. Brillant plan. You should run for NHLPA president.

Phanuthier*

dedalus said:
Aahh ... and how do you know he ISN'T the NHLPA president, eh? :eek:
Hmm... not that would make alot of sense, now wouldn't it?

He can't possibly be that... uhh... actually, I'd better not say it. I don't want to get banned here. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad