As a pro-PA guy: I would like to offically take Steve Nash up on his offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
gkj brings up a great point. I, myself, am also pro-PA, and this is the best thing both PAs could do. You can say the NHLPA is a sinking ship all you want, but remember that the NBA extended their CBA another year to avoid something like this. This is the NBA's, and probably the NHL's worst fear. There'd be a whole lot of empty arenas. Football's on once a week, and then once February hits, even that goes. Nothing but the NLL, college basketball and Arena Football on weekends.

Don't think NBA players are that dumb not to know what the NHL is. Nash is the only one to voice his concerns, but surely alot of NBA players know about the NHL's situation. Alot of them understand the damage they can do to not only these two companies, but to the entire sports world by doing this. I'm sure Nash didn't make those comments and then the next day when his Suns teammates were talking to him about it they didn't say "so what's this NHL you're talking about?". They know, and Steve Nash also likely didn't go out and make these comments if he didn't know of others who felt the same way.

Bettman should realize that if this happens, it's not going to get any better for them. The NBA players, as overpaid as they are, are just as opposed to a cap as the NHL guys are, among other things. There's strength in numbers, and by combining two of the four major professional leagues in NA, it may be more than the NHL and NBA can handle.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
Hercules Rockefeller said:
Bettman should realize that if this happens, it's not going to get any better for them. The NBA players, as overpaid as they are, are just as opposed to a cap as the NHL guys are, among other things. There's strength in numbers, and by combining two of the four major professional leagues in NA, it may be more than the NHL and NBA can handle.

NBA players dont have another place to make Money. NBA Players live a lifestyle only a select few NHLers can compare too.

Unlike NHL players, NBA players have and make money on sponsorship deals. Those deals are dependent upon them PLAYING and SHOWING OFF their equipment. Are you telling me sponsors will keep paying people who ARENT PLAYING.

"Hi, Im Lebron James, Im on strike right now, even though my first year i signed a quadrouple billion dollar Contract. Buy My Product so I can feed my Dog"

the NBA players will _NOT_ strike. They will resign/sign a new CBA, rank and file, because they are making money hand over fist. And the majority of them CANNOT and do not have the ability to make ANY money elseware. there is no leagues over seas that can pay them millions. there is no Lower leagues in the US and Camada where they can make money, and keep living their lavish Lifestyle, while not moving somewhere.

Are you telling me you can see Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash Uprooting their families to play for $200 a week in Turkey? Hell most of those counties have talents that are On par if not better than the rank and file members of the NBA.

not to mention its awfully hard to keep your significant other happy while your playing for 1/100th of what you made when you started dating.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
X8oD said:
NBA players dont have another place to make Money. NBA Players live a lifestyle only a select few NHLers can compare too.

Unlike NHL players, NBA players have and make money on sponsorship deals. Those deals are dependent upon them PLAYING and SHOWING OFF their equipment. Are you telling me sponsors will keep paying people who ARENT PLAYING.

"Hi, Im Lebron James, Im on strike right now, even though my first year i signed a quadrouple billion dollar Contract. Buy My Product so I can feed my Dog"

the NBA players will _NOT_ strike. They will resign/sign a new CBA, rank and file, because they are making money hand over fist. And the majority of them CANNOT and do not have the ability to make ANY money elseware. there is no leagues over seas that can pay them millions. there is no Lower leagues in the US and Camada where they can make money, and keep living their lavish Lifestyle, while not moving somewhere.

Are you telling me you can see Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash Uprooting their families to play for $200 a week in Turkey? Hell most of those counties have talents that are On par if not better than the rank and file members of the NBA.

not to mention its awfully hard to keep your significant other happy while your playing for 1/100th of what you made when you started dating.

Very true, but where did baseball players go when they were on strike? Because I was like 5 at the time, I wouldn't know, and maybe there were other leagues, but these guys might feel a strike is better. They know both of these leagues can't handle both of them not playing. They'll lose money, but most of these guys are loaded anyway. The NBA wouldn't let their players be locked out more than a year, so if that's the sacrifice, then they just might make it.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
X8oD said:

What will those poor old NBAers do without their bling-bling. :dunno:

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Don't think NBA players are that dumb not to know what the NHL is. Nash is the only one to voice his concerns, but surely alot of NBA players know about the NHL's situation.

I'm sure they are aware. And I'm 100% sure that the lesson they're taking from this is "Playing chicken with billionaires is STUPID! Those ice dudes just flushed *a billion and a half dollars* down the tubes! *WE* sure as hell aren't going to get ourselves into a situation like that.

Fight the good fight, get the best deal you can, not jump off the cliff."

Phanuthier*

gkj brings up a great point. I, myself, am also pro-PA, and this is the best thing both PAs could do. You can say the NHLPA is a sinking ship all you want, but remember that the NBA extended their CBA another year to avoid something like this. This is the NBA's, and probably the NHL's worst fear. There'd be a whole lot of empty arenas. Football's on once a week, and then once February hits, even that goes.
So what exactly stops the league from getting replacement players?

And do you honestly think Kobe Bryant will give up his god-knows-much-he-makes-a-year to "fight the good fight" with Chris Clark?

Phanuthier*

me2 said:
What will those poor old NBAers do without their bling-bling. :dunno:
Oh, they'll have their bling bling. They'll just get to buy less bling bling when they align with the NHL and their 4th line checkers.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
NataSatan666 said:
It's a brilliant plan. The problem is you posted it on a board full of children

Lets take the Leafs for instance. Same owner, same building as the Raptors. The people who bought the corporate boxes are going to be very unhappy spending 250,000 a year to have the right to watch the backstreet boys reunite. Most bands actually would not book concerts in a building that has 2 strikes (lockouts) going on at same time. So in fact you have handcuffed the owners into not gaining revenue period from their investments in the buildings until both are solved.

The bad part is the victims who work for the building most likely will be layed off totally. They are in fact a casualty of war.

And lets get one thing straight, this IS a war now. The players so far have lost more than the owners. In a few months the owners will have lost more than the players when the value of the teams go down by 35%. Then they are on even footing again

An alliance of the 2 associations is more than a good idea. It's something that will probally happen. Just like the owners are together the players will be together too.

No matter what happens I really hope noone expects to see NHL hockey for at least another year. The players now have lost too much not to make the owners lose big time too.

Seriously what are the BNational BlingBling Assoc players going to do, give 50% of the wages to the NHL to prop them up during the NHLs lockout? Yeah right.

If came down to it the NBA would like just extend the CBA deal for one year, then wait until NHLPA cracks and folds. The NBA then points the players in the direction of the corpse of the NHLPA credibility and ask "You want a piece of that or you want another 5lb of gold chains around your neck and gold plated Hummer?".

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
NataSatan666 said:
It's a brilliant plan. The problem is you posted it on a board full of children

I fully agree with you, there are too many kids like you and GKJ around.

What the hell do you think happens when NHLPA teams up with NBAPA?? What happens when NHL takes their case to NLRB, will NHLPA look like it's 'negotiating in good faith'?? No.

Dream on pal. You and GKJ are living in a fantasy world, you have no idea how the negotiating process goes. You're also so full of pro-PA bias that you can't think straight even if you wanted to.

Phanuthier*

Pepper said:
I fully agree with you, there are too many kids like you and GKJ around.

What the hell do you think happens when NHLPA teams up with NBAPA?? What happens when NHL takes their case to NLRB, will NHLPA look like it's 'negotiating in good faith'?? No.

Dream on pal. You and GKJ are living in a fantasy world, you have no idea how the negotiating process goes. You're also so full of pro-PA bias that you can't think straight even if you wanted to.
Well I do think him and gkj have a point, but I personally think its suicide, especially for the NBA when both leagues go to replacment players.

That and I can't really see Jarome Williams or whomever give up their $10-15 million a year to stand side-by-side Steve Begin to fight those evil evil owners.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Splatman Phanutier said:
Well I do think him and gkj have a point, but I personally think its suicide, especially for the NBA when both leagues go to replacment players.

That and I can't really see Jarome Williams or whomever give up their $10-15 million a year to stand side-by-side Steve Begin to fight those evil evil owners.

Why on earth does NBAPA want to side with NHLPA?? Bettman already has the PA by the balls, he has divided them and will force them to take a even worse deal than the $42M hard cap.

No way, NBAPA doesn't want anything to do with NHLPA because it will only hurt their cause. Owners have proved that they are not kidding here and NBAPA doesn't want to find that out the hard way like NHLPA did.

gerbilanium

Oct 17, 2003
I don't know about you but striking out against an owner who has given you 30 million dollars looks a little ungrateful.. But it's all about fairness. I guess.

Phanuthier*

Pepper said:
Why on earth does NBAPA want to side with NHLPA?? Bettman already has the PA by the balls, he has divided them and will force them to take a even worse deal than the $42M hard cap.

No way, NBAPA doesn't want anything to do with NHLPA because it will only hurt their cause. Owners have proved that they are not kidding here and NBAPA doesn't want to find that out the hard way like NHLPA did.
The only reason would be to get the cap out of their game, but that would be a suicide trip.

PS: I really don't think you realize we're arguing on the same side here...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Dude said:
Why exactly would the NHL owners collapse even if that happened?

"Oh yeah, well they've got the NBAPA on their side, I guess as a smart business man I should just start taking loses so that the arenas will open up."

Half of the owners own a team in both leagues, most of them are the big money owners who make money from one if not both. They're not just going to let their arenas sit empty, they're going to have something to say now.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
Half of the owners own a team in both leagues, most of them are the big money owners who make money from one if not both. They're not just going to let their arenas sit empty, they're going to have something to say now.

Actually only 8 owners on teams in both leagues.
Rangers/Knicks- Cabelvision
Maple Leafs/Raptos – MLSE
Flyers/76ers - Comcast-Spectacor
Devils/Nets – Chambers/Katz
Avalanche/Nuggets – Kroenke
Thrashers/Hawks – New Owner (Formely Time Warner)
Ligthning/Pistons - Davison
Capitals/Wizards - Leonsis/MCI

There are more teams that share the building but when the Mavs play that doesn't effect Hicks' bottomline and vis-a-versa. Most of these owners are billionaires who have other business interests, so I'm expecting that they will be able to hold out longer then ahtletes with a finite career.

NHL Owners: http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2003/1208/094tab.html
NBA Owners: http://www.forbes.com/home/forbes/2004/0216/064tab.html

Last edited:

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
go kim johnsson said:

There are more than 20 owners who couldn't give a flying **** about NBA's CBA. You're really living in a fantasy world.

Btw Splatman, I know we're on the same side, I was replying to these few kids who think they have it all figured out.

GodZillaAteMyZamboni

Jan 18, 2003
Visit site
Finnigan said:
Actaully only 6 owners on teams in both leagues.
Caps/Wizards (44%)/MCI Center (44%) - Leonsis

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Finnigan said:
Actually only 6 owners on teams in both leagues.

There are more teams that share the building but when the Mavs play that doesn't effect Hicks' bottomline and vis-a-versa. Most of these owners are billionaires who have other business interests, so I'm expecting that they will be able to hold out longer then ahtletes with a finite career.

NHL Owners: http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2003/1208/094tab.html
NBA Owners: http://www.forbes.com/home/forbes/2004/0216/064tab.html

Bill Davison also owns the Detroit Pistons and Tampa Bay Lightning.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Pepper said:
There are more than 20 owners who couldn't give a flying **** about NBA's CBA. You're really living in a fantasy world.

Does it make you feel better that you need to result to personal attacks to make your point? If you think I'm in the fantasy world, I'd like to see the hole in the ground you call the real world.

Go back and read, there are more NBA owners who own the arenas as well. Staples Center has 3 tennants in the 2 sports. They're not going to sit there and be okay with 2 lockouts at the same time.

Please make rational and educated comments next time you want to say I'm in a fantasy world.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
Does it make you feel better that you need to result to personal attacks to make your point? If you think I'm in the fantasy world, I'd like to see the hole in the ground you call the real world.

Go back and read, there are more NBA owners who own the arenas as well. Staples Center has 3 tennants in the 2 sports. They're not going to sit there and be okay with 2 lockouts at the same time.

Please make rational and educated comments next time you want to say I'm in a fantasy world.

I'm not making personal attacks, I'm simply replying to your extremely biased and shortsighted (not to mention overwhelmingly numerous) posts which are loaded with blind pro-PA bias.

Somebody needs to wake you up. The point is that atleast half of teams have nothing to do with NBA and therefore they can tell them to piss off.

Oh and you still haven't answered why do you expect NBAPA to ally itself with NHLPA when it's so obvious that NHLPA is going down and lose the war against owners? I think NBAPA wants to keep as much distance to NHLPA as possible to avoid similar fate. NHLPA has zero bargaining power, they can't help NBAPA's cause.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Pepper said:
Oh and you still haven't answered why do you expect NBAPA to ally itself with NHLPA when it's so obvious that NHLPA is going down and lose the war against owners? I think NBAPA wants to keep as much distance to NHLPA as possible to avoid similar fate. NHLPA has zero bargaining power, they can't help NBAPA's cause.

If you want to make that inference, the NBAPA has already lost once. I guess they have nothing to lose then.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Just curious when does the NBA cba expire and are the owneres going to lock the players out to get a better cap more like the one the NHL is trying to get. Could be interesting if both of these guys are locked out at the same time.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
richardn said:
Just curious when does the NBA cba expire and are the owneres going to lock the players out to get a better cap more like the one the NHL is trying to get. Could be interesting if both of these guys are locked out at the same time.

The NBA's CBA expires after this season.

The players are not happy with the certain situation and on the other side the owners want to tie up the loopholes left from the last agreement ($2M exception is one of them)

A work stoppage is expected.

rwilson99

go kim johnsson said:

Is there a link to your fantasy world? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad