As a Ducks fan, what should I make of these 2 missed calls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
While I agree with you, many Oiler fans were mocked relentlessly around here for their views on the officiating. Views very similar to the ones currently expressed by some ducks fans.
They're also hockey fans who continue to watch the playoffs after the Oilers were eliminated and have every right to comment on how things have gone in this series.
While I believe the round 2 loss was the Oilers' to own, for others, the irony of the ducks fan base starting threads like this has to be pretty funny.

I'll say that I'm not a fan of this thread. It's not really my place to question whether it belongs or not, but I prefer to keep this stuff in the GDT's. I won't deny that I complained when Rinne played the puck, and an obvious call was missed. And that was it. :dunno:

To each their own. I'm not upset the officials missed some calls. I'm peeved the Ducks didn't push harder to get the win, especially in front of their own fans. Missed calls happen. I've even seen a questionable call end up being the game winner, in an elimination game that saw my team lose. That **** happens. Let's be honest about something though, this isn't really simple commentary. Not all the time. Constantly saying that Anaheim shouldn't be playing, or that Edmonton got screwed has nothing to do with the current series. That isn't commentary on the current series. It's bitter resentment that one team moved on and another didn't.

Edit: Case in point, the post above mine. And that's pretty mild.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Every team gets screwed by bad calls no team is immune. If reffing was perfect who the hell knows what would of happened. With reffing being so bad fans from every team complains no specific teams fans should be trashed for complaining only thing that should be trashed is the bad referees.

Bang on.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

I'm actually curious if the league sees it.

I can't imagine it would be easy to address, but maybe putting some things under the microscope, and still not being consistent about it is a bad approach.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
I'll say that I'm not a fan of this thread. It's not really my place to question whether it belongs or not, but I prefer to keep this stuff in the GDT's. I won't deny that I complained when Rinne played the puck, and an obvious call was missed. And that was it. :dunno:

To each their own. I'm not upset the officials missed some calls. I'm peeved the Ducks didn't push harder to get the win, especially in front of their own fans. Missed calls happen. I've even seen a questionable call end up being the game winner, in an elimination game that saw my team lose. That **** happens. Let's be honest about something though, this isn't really simple commentary. Not all the time. Constantly saying that Anaheim shouldn't be playing, or that Edmonton got screwed has nothing to do with the current series. That isn't commentary on the current series. It's bitter resentment that one team moved on and another didn't.

Edit: Case in point, the post above mine. And that's pretty mild.

I didn't like some calls in round 2 but the Oilers certainly had opportunity to win and didn't. Furthermore, there's no way to know how things play out if those calls go the other way.
I don't like the "Ducks shouldn't be here" stuff either. Ducks won. They were better.
I do think the comments have some relevance in that this is a thread that seems to insinuate the officials are out to get the Ducks, while Oil fans were mocked for the same view.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I didn't like some calls in round 2 but the Oilers certainly had opportunity to win and didn't. Furthermore, there's no way to know how things play out if those calls go the other way.
I don't like the "Ducks shouldn't be here" stuff either. Ducks won. They were better.
I do think the comments have some relevance in that this is a thread that seems to insinuate the officials are out to get the Ducks, while Oil fans were mocked for the same view.

Wasn't a fan of the mocking then either. For whatever that's worth.

I guess I don't like excuses. :laugh:

Fingers crossed that Anaheim can focus and play some hockey tomorrow night. Despite what some think, I feel they are a better team when aren't running around being stupid. They're a pretty damn good team, and they can play with anyone(IMO). They just get frustrated and emotional, and that's usually about the time Anaheim fans know the game is lost. I don't even think it's scored related. When Anaheim was down 2-0 against Edmonton, and then 3-0, I actually felt pretty good just because the Ducks kept playing. Ditto in Game 7, after Theodore made that really poor decision that helped Edmonton get up 1-0 early. That's the team I want to see.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Every team gets screwed by bad calls no team is immune. If reffing was perfect who the hell knows what would of happened. With reffing being so bad fans from every team complains no specific teams fans should be trashed for complaining only thing that should be trashed is the bad referees.

The fact every fan base complains about reffing is irrelevant. This is not unique to hockey. Go on any NBA or NFL board and you'll read the same thing.
The bottom line is that reffing is difficult. Hockey's probably one of the hardest because of the speed of the game.
The fact that every NHL fan base complains about it just tells you that as fans we need a scape goat. I'm as bad as anyone else for that. Why do fans pick out the reffing? Why don't they blame the losses on a poor power play, the stars not scoring. Or why not just give the other team credit for playing well.
I think it's probably human nature to take it out on the refs.
Having said that, is there room for improvement? Absolutely. But there will always be these type of threads. Its human nature to focus on the calls that go against your team and not the breaks you get. The refs are the most convenient target rather than the players themselves.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Wasn't a fan of the mocking then either. For whatever that's worth.

I guess I don't like excuses. :laugh:

Fingers crossed that Anaheim can focus and play some hockey tomorrow night. Despite what some think, I feel they are a better team when aren't running around being stupid. They're a pretty damn good team, and they can play with anyone(IMO). They just get frustrated and emotional, and that's usually about the time Anaheim fans know the game is lost. I don't even think it's scored related. When Anaheim was down 2-0 against Edmonton, and then 3-0, I actually felt pretty good just because the Ducks kept playing. Ditto in Game 7, after Theodore made that really poor decision that helped Edmonton get up 1-0 early. That's the team I want to see.

I'm sure they'll be good in game 6.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
They are missed calls.

Not threadworthy

But the notion that the ducks are favored should RIP.

Next time Manson has to fake a seizure like Neal and Forsberg to get the call

Forsberg dove like a seal on that one, but Manson gifted him the chance. They both should have gone to the box.

The Ducks play on the edge, have for years, and have not suffered unduly for it in these playoffs. They had a half-dozen chances to ice the game last night. The OP, Ducks fan or not, should recognize that.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
The fact every fan base complains about reffing is irrelevant. This is not unique to hockey. Go on any NBA or NFL board and you'll read the same thing.
The bottom line is that reffing is difficult. Hockey's probably one of the hardest because of the speed of the game.
The fact that every NHL fan base complains about it just tells you that as fans we need a scape goat. I'm as bad as anyone else for that. Why do fans pick out the reffing? Why don't they blame the losses on a poor power play, the stars not scoring. Or why not just give the other team credit for playing well.
I think it's probably human nature to take it out on the refs.
Having said that, is there room for improvement? Absolutely. But there will always be these type of threads. Its human nature to focus on the calls that go against your team and not the breaks you get. The refs are the most convenient target rather than the players themselves.

That is because referees in all sports make so many bad calls. Referees in all sports need to be better and held accountable for bad refereeing but they don't seem to be.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
No it wasn't. It was lower than or equal to the hieght of the crossbar.

If we were talking about a high stick on a goal, that might be relevant. On a player, that isn't the measurement, and there are only two exceptions.

1) On the follow through of a shot.

2) At the face-off dot, when a player is bent way over.

Neither exception applies here. It was a high stick. It was an obvious high stick. It was missed. **** happens, what can you do, but it was a high stick.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
If we were talking about a high stick on a goal, that might be relevant. On a player, that isn't the measurement, and there are only two exceptions.

1) On the follow through of a shot.

2) At the face-off dot, when a player is bent way over.

Neither exception applies here. It was a high stick. It was an obvious high stick. It was missed. **** happens, what can you do, but it was a high stick.

Check the rule, it has to be above the normal hieght of the players shoulders.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Check the rule, it has to be above the normal hieght of the players shoulders.

You may want to watch the replay again. It was above his shoulders. At no point does the rule say it needs to be above the player's standing shoulder height.

And on top of that, there are years of precedent that support this as a call. Decades. You need to have control of your stick. I listed the two exceptions. This wasn't one of them.

It was a high stick. You're arguing from the wrong side of this one.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
You may want to watch the replay again. It was above his shoulders. At no point does the rule say it needs to be above the player's standing shoulder height.

And on top of that, there are years of precedent that support this as a call. Decades. You need to have control of your stick. I listed the two exceptions. This wasn't one of them.

It was a high stick. You're arguing from the wrong side of this one.

On my phone so I can't quote the rule. But it has to be above the hieght of the opponents shoulders. The high stick was clearly below the hieght of the crossbar, which is obviously lower than the hieght of the shoulders.

I'll try quoting but it looks messed up....

6H0ig.1h-Hstiigchk-isntgic-kAin“ghi-gAh s“htiicgkh” sisticokn”eiswohnicehwishicahrriisedcaarbrioevdeatbhoevehetihgehtheight
of theofptphoenoepnpt’osnsehnot’usldsehrosu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad