As a Ducks fan, what should I make of these 2 missed calls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
:laugh:

I've watched both for years and even though the NHL has been pretty bad this year, the IIHF is so much worse that I can only assume you have not watched IIHF events in your life or you are trolling.

Just this year, how about a linesman telling a player to F-off and when the player protested he couldnt be treated that way he was given a 10 min misconduct.

or a a team told not to come out onto the ice and then given a penalty for not coming out.

There has been seriously more bad calls in single games than an entire playoff series.....and not just bad calls but just as many missed calls.

If IIHF refs were involved in NHL playoff games, there may be riots after games and numerous stoppages with garbage being thrown on the ice. The NHL game is way too fast for those scrubs.

I think you have somehow missed how terrible the officiating in the NHL has become.

35 years watching both iihf and nhl. I honestly couldn't tell which is worse anymore.

Nhl keeps getting worse and iihf seems you be getting better imo.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
Anaheim had more than enough chances to win that game, it's not on the refs.

Give the preds some credit for pulling that one off.Gutsy effort by them, and a rather weak effort from a few of our stars.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
How did it probably affect the outcome of a close game.
Assuming that the penalty was called and the Ducks PP is at 20% then at best it gave the Ducks a one in five chance of scoring. Then assuming Nashville got 2 goals that's a tie game and the Ducks have a 50/50 chance of winning. So maybe there's a 10% chance or so it affected the game.
Missing a penalty is not like missing a goal. A goal has a much more direct impact on the game.

Missing the high stick did have a direct effect on the game. Even assuming the Ducks don't score on that PP. If they make the double minor call on Forsberg the cross check never happens which leads to a PP and Nashville's first goal.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
Missing the high stick did have a direct effect on the game. Even assuming the Ducks don't score on that PP. If they make the double minor call on Forsberg the cross check never happens which leads to a PP and Nashville's first goal.

Calls get missed, man. That was a stupid penalty for Manson to take either way.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I was responding to the post on the trapezoid missed call.
Refs missed calls both ways, imo.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Calls get missed, man. That was a stupid penalty for Manson to take either way.

I understand that and I've been completely upfront that the Ducks lost this game by failing to perform, not the refs. I was merely pointing out that sequence with Manson and Forsberg did have a direct result on a goal that was scored and thus an effect on the outcome of the game.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I tell you what, let's review this series and I'll tally up the calls that the Ducks got away with and you tally up the ones that the Predators got away with.

We'll compare lists.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
How did it probably affect the outcome of a close game.
Assuming that the penalty was called and the Ducks PP is at 20% then at best it gave the Ducks a one in five chance of scoring. Then assuming Nashville got 2 goals that's a tie game and the Ducks have a 50/50 chance of winning. So maybe there's a 10% chance or so it affected the game.
Missing a penalty is not like the refs missing a goal. A goal has a much more direct impact on the game.

Preds scored a goal on the PP that Manson's stupid retaliation for the high-stick that didn't get called.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
I understand that and I've been completely upfront that the Ducks lost this game by failing to perform, not the refs. I was merely pointing out that sequence with Manson and Forsberg did have a direct result on a goal that was scored and thus an effect on the outcome of the game.

fair enough

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
How come your analysis doesn't mention the missed elbowing call (Manson on Jarnkrok) in the clip that you posted?

As for the missed high stick, I don't know how the follow through rule applies. Forsberg was making a play for the puck, and it looks like his stick deflected up off of Manson's stick. Does that count as a follow through, or do you actually need to make contact with the puck?

60.1 High-sticking - A “high stick†is one which is carried above the height
of the opponent’s shoulders. Players must be in control and responsible for their stick. However, a player is permitted accidental contact on an opponent if the act is committed as a normal windup or follow through of a shooting motion, or accidental contact on the opposing center who is bent over during the course of a face-off. A wild swing at a bouncing puck would not be considered a normalwindup or follow through and any contact to an opponent above theheight of the shoulders shall be penalized accordingly.

You have to have control of the puck and actually shoot it. They'll usually let it go if you're in control and passing the puck as well. This is a Wild swing and a miss at a puck he didn't have control of, so it's a missed double minor.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
What to make of it? Blown calls all over the place in these playoffs and im not just complaining about my team. Reffing has been atrocious

There instances when a blown call may have influenced the game or the series:

- a player clearly tripped up and taken out out of play leading to the other team going up the ice out manned or on clear breakaway.

- a player suffered a serious injury as result of an intentional illegal hit thus unable to return to the game or series.

- goals scored near or inside the blue paint as result of an intentional illegal stick check or hit causing the defender or goalie unable to do their job

- goals scored but should not have been counted but missed by ref (offside, intentional kick, high stick, icing that should clearly been called).

The video reviews and challenges if done properly and clear rule definitions should take care of a lot of the problems above.

However missed calls happen because refs does not always see what is going on the ice especially at the speed the game is going and not every play can be challenged and reviewed. If a ref can't see a play they will not call it even if there appear to be evidence that the infractions incurred. A coach or captain can talk to the ref or ask for an explanation or request a review or challenge but get on the bad side of refs can only make things worse at times.

Please also be reminded that not every PP (even 5 on 3) will result in goal scored. Special team and goalie performance under pressure and luck (goal posts, cross bar, broken sticks, weir bounces) can all played into the outcome. Do not forget that not all goals are scored on PP. A game is never over until the last buzzer. No lead is ever safe unless it is a huge one.

All a team can do is playing hard, sacrifice, have great focus and try to make the best puck decisions on ice and this requires each single player to commit for each shift. Players can't get too emotional and dwell on mistake by a ref, own or a teammate. There is no time for that in the playoff.

Last edited:

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
who gives a **** about the refs. the game happened and its over lol

i have noticed that other fans hate the ducks rn mostly edm fans. seems like the ducks went to all their houses and personally spit on their faces lmao get over it. season is over for yall its nice out. breath

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I'm not going to complain about officiating. I'll leave that to others. Missed calls happen. Were they missed calls? Yes, absolutely they were. That was a double minor high stick, and a goaltender committing an obvious infraction. Human error is part of the game.

I agree with those who say that maybe there's been a bit more error than we should be seeing, but that applies to every team right now. Good teams fight through that and find ways to win. Anaheim didn't do that last night. That's on them. Moving on...

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
The Preds scored because Manson took a stupid retaliatory penalty. That's on him, not the ref. Instead of whining about officials you should look at the team and ask why they've taken more idiotic, mindless and frustration penalties than any other team remaining. Don't blame the refs when your team can't handle the pressure.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Wouldn't it just be better to agree
My team lost, the refs are biased and in the bag for the other team

My team won....you guys need to stop whining about the refs, there is no conspiracy

Therefore
NHL refs are just not good, and the league is worse for it

DuckDude

Mar 16, 2017
Wouldn't it just be better to agree
My team lost, the refs are biased and in the bag for the other team

My team won....you guys need to stop whining about the refs, there is no conspiracy

Therefore
NHL refs are just not good, and the league is worse for it

Well if you read my post I never claimed there to be a conspiracy. I know the refs are just incompetent. But I was merely pointing out that we dont receive special treatment such as this bizarre hf narrative would suggest. Anyone complaining about that can stop now after watching last nights game.

I also said the Ducks losing was their own fault, not discredting Nashville at all.

danaluvsthekings

May 1, 2004

I tend to look at something like that where, even if something should have been called, you can't go and retaliate for it. Especially in the playoffs. Manson is a good young player, but it's a lesson that needs to be learned.

Perfect example is game 6 in the 2012 finals. The Devils thought a penalty should have been called on Stoll for boarding right before Scuderi was smashed face first into the boards giving the Kings a major pp. Should Stoll's hit have been called? Probably. Should Bernier have reacted the way he did after the missed call and hit Scuderi? Nope. Bernier put himself in the position to have the refs make the call. Don't retaliate and put yourself in the spot to give the refs a chance to call it. If you want payback, take a number and get it later.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
I tend to look at something like that where, even if something should have been called, you can't go and retaliate for it. Especially in the playoffs. Manson is a good young player, but it's a lesson that needs to be learned.

Perfect example is game 6 in the 2012 finals. The Devils thought a penalty should have been called on Stoll for boarding right before Scuderi was smashed face first into the boards giving the Kings a major pp. Should Stoll's hit have been called? Probably. Should Bernier have reacted the way he did after the missed call and hit Scuderi? Nope. Bernier put himself in the position to have the refs make the call. Don't retaliate and put yourself in the spot to give the refs a chance to call it. If you want payback, take a number and get it later.

I'm not in any way justifying what Manson did. He deserved the penalty 100%. I'm saying it literally never even has the chance to happen if the double minor gets called on Forsberg to begin with.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
A couple of missed calls and the salt is flying.....

Ducks have definitely got the better end of the officiating throughout the playoffs.

Their entire game plan is built around the Refs not wanting to all everything.

If they lose game 6 on a missed call that would be some great irony.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
When you look at the number of missed calls and the number of uncalled injuries, I can't comprehend a situation where the NHL doesn't at least REVIEW these things with the officials.

New to the NHL? :laugh: It's entirely possible they won't say a word about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad