As a Ducks fan, what should I make of these 2 missed calls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
On my phone so I can't quote the rule. But it has to be above the hieght of the opponents shoulders. The high stick was clearly below the hieght of the crossbar, which is obviously lower than the hieght of the shoulders.

I'll try quoting but it looks messed up....

6H0ig.1h-Hstiigchk-isntgic-kAin“ghi-gAh s“htiicgkh†sisticoknâ€eiswohnicehwishicahrriisedcaarbrioevdeatbhoevehetihgehtheight
of theofptphoenoepnpt’osnsehnot’usldsehrosu.

...I just addressed this.

You're wrong.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
The refs suck nothing new.

Better question. Why didn't Getzlaf and Kesler take advantage of Nashville's depleted depth down the middle?

This right here. We can whine and moan about the reffing all we want but the reality still hurts: we lost to a team that had Calle ****ing Jarnkrok as their 1st line center. That should have been matchup heaven for us. But we just didn't show up.

EDIT: And thank you OP for opening up the floodgates for everyone to start whining about the reffing we've received on the way here....

lawrence

May 19, 2012
First one is a missed high stick on Manson.

With around 2:30 left in the 2nd period, the Ducks had a 1-0 lead and both teams were at even strength. Manson receives a very obvious high stick to the face, which results in blood from his mouth. Around ten seconds later, he cross checks Forsberg in retaliation for the high stick, which results in a 2 minute penalty and leads to the Preds getting the tying goal before the 2nd intermission.

Later on in the game, while the score was I believe 2-1 Preds if I remember correctly, Rinne plays the puck illegally and the call is missed, no penalty on the play. This was late in the game with the Ducks having no momentum whatsoever, and could have potentially swung things in their favor.

Now im not saying we lost a game or a series because of the refs. I dont go into threads whining about refs and claiming conspiracy. I fully admit the Ducks losing Game 5 was a total embarrassment considering the Preds depleted lineup and not having their top 2 centers. But with that being said theres a lot of talk about the Ducks receiving favorable treatment from the refs and I think its completely false. In a pivotal Game 5 with potentially our season on the line, the refs dont call a very obvious high stick which resulted in blood, an easy 4 minute powerplay. Instead they call a retaliation penalty from the same guy who just got high sticked. This had devastating effects on the game and potentially the season, had the right call been made the Ducks are probably going to Nashville up 3-2. These are my thoughts on it and I would just like to get some other opinions as well. I fully expect to hear things like "well the Ducks goon it up so they get what they deserve." Which is fine, anyone is entitled to believe what they want. For a quick reference here are the two calls that I am referring to.

Missed high stick

https://streamable.com/xt6xi

Rinne playing the puck

DAUD1xZUQAA-Pmn.jpg

as a ducks fan you need to be grateful your team is situated in California. The breaks you guys been getting is something Canadian fans will only dream of. If your team were the Quebec Ducks, consider it a much harder road to were they are right now.

Manson receives a very obvious high stick to the face

Manson is a marked man at this point by the refs. He probably won't get away with stuff nor have things in favor of him anymore due to his reckless ways of playing the game. this happened to Vancouver with Burrows and Kesler. They were unable to draw calls wether you guys call it a dive or a legit penalty. They were just marked now why is really beyond anyones guess.

Later on in the game, while the score was I believe 2-1 Preds if I remember correctly, Rinne plays the puck illegally and the call is missed,

the Ducks players and coaching sure has heck wasn't complaining. why would you? no one knew that rule, haha. consider it karma at this point.

Buffalo Preds

Jun 18, 2013
Buffalo, NY
I thought Forsberg definitely hit Manson with a high stick, and should have got the t̶w̶o̶ four minutes, but looking at it again, it's not so clear. Manson is bent over at the waist, and his head is well below shoulder height. And Forsberg is clearly making a play on a bouncing puck to try to backhand it to Jarnkrok, so the contact with Manson (whose head is basically hip-high) is from a follow-through. A good no-call.

Seems like a clear blown call on Rinne playing the puck, though.

Pwj4Lq8.jpg

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I thought Forsberg definitely hit Manson with a high stick, and should have got the t̶w̶o̶ four minutes, but looking at it again, it's not so clear Manson is bent over at the waist, and his head is well below shoulder height. And Forsberg is clearly making a play on a bouncing puck to try to backhand it to Jarnkrok, so the contact with Manson (whose head is basically hip-high) is from a follow-through. A good no-call.

Seems like a clear blown call on Rinne playing the puck, though.

60.1 High-sticking- A “high stick” is one which is carried above the height of the opponent’s shoulders. Players must be in control and responsible for their stick. However, a player is permitted accidental contact on an opponent if the act is committed as a normal windup or follow through of a shooting motion, or accidental contact on the opposing center who is bent over during the course of a face-off. A wild swing at a bouncing puck would not be considered a normal windup or follow through and any contact to an opponent above the height of the shoulders shall be penalized accordingly.

Take note of the bolded and it's obviously a missed call. Forsrberg's stick is above Manson's shoulders (doesn't matter that he's bent over). And swinging at a bouncing puck doesn't excuse the act. Clearly makes no difference now, but let's at least get the facts straight.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Go ahead and isolate every moment of the game and find a hundred different calls that should have been made in favor of the Ducks.

It doesn't change the fact that your team is the dirtiest, cheapest team left in the playoffs. By a fairly wide margin. And I am ambivalent about who I want to win that series.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Take note of the bolded and it's obviously a missed call. Forsrberg's stick is above Manson's shoulders (doesn't matter that he's bent over). And swinging at a bouncing puck doesn't excuse the act. Clearly makes no difference now, but let's at least get the facts straight.

Well, if you REALLY want to get the facts straight, his stick is not above Manson's shoulders, it is above one shoulder, not both. :sarcasm:

Sydney Cosby

Apr 13, 2016
First one is a missed high stick on Manson.

With around 2:30 left in the 2nd period, the Ducks had a 1-0 lead and both teams were at even strength. Manson receives a very obvious high stick to the face, which results in blood from his mouth. Around ten seconds later, he cross checks Forsberg in retaliation for the high stick, which results in a 2 minute penalty and leads to the Preds getting the tying goal before the 2nd intermission.

Later on in the game, while the score was I believe 2-1 Preds if I remember correctly, Rinne plays the puck illegally and the call is missed, no penalty on the play. This was late in the game with the Ducks having no momentum whatsoever, and could have potentially swung things in their favor.

Now im not saying we lost a game or a series because of the refs. I dont go into threads whining about refs and claiming conspiracy. I fully admit the Ducks losing Game 5 was a total embarrassment considering the Preds depleted lineup and not having their top 2 centers. But with that being said theres a lot of talk about the Ducks receiving favorable treatment from the refs and I think its completely false. In a pivotal Game 5 with potentially our season on the line, the refs dont call a very obvious high stick which resulted in blood, an easy 4 minute powerplay. Instead they call a retaliation penalty from the same guy who just got high sticked. This had devastating effects on the game and potentially the season, had the right call been made the Ducks are probably going to Nashville up 3-2. These are my thoughts on it and I would just like to get some other opinions as well. I fully expect to hear things like "well the Ducks goon it up so they get what they deserve." Which is fine, anyone is entitled to believe what they want. For a quick reference here are the two calls that I am referring to.

Missed high stick

https://streamable.com/xt6xi

Rinne playing the puck

DAUD1xZUQAA-Pmn.jpg
What should you do?
You should not whine and instead use the energy to do something positive in your life or a random stranger's life

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Correct You are responsible for your stick at all times. It was a missed call one of many in this series

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

You're clearly misinterpreting this.

"The height of the opponent's shoulders".

If you're 6 feet tall and you bend over at the waist, that does not suddenly make you 4 feet tall.

Now if the rule stated "the height of the opponent's shoulders, regardless of his position at the time of contact", then perhaps you'd have a point.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Only losers complain about calls. Winners overcome. Look no further than the Ducks and Oilers fans in this thread.

There are bad/missed calls every game.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
You're clearly misinterpreting this.

"The height of the opponent's shoulders".

If you're 6 feet tall and you bend over at the waist, that does not suddenly make you 4 feet tall.

Now if the rule stated "the height of the opponent's shoulders, regardless of his position at the time of contact", then perhaps you'd have a point.

The rule makes no mention that "the height of the opponent's shoulders" is in relation to said player standing upright.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
As a follow-through, high-sticking does not apply. Forsberg was trying to backhand a bouncing puck to Jarnkrok, and hit Manson on the follow-through.

:facepalm: You need to read the rule again.

It's a missed call. It's over and done with. But the attempts to justify it as a legal play are all kinds of ridiculous.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
As a follow-through, high-sticking does not apply. Forsberg was trying to backhand a bouncing puck to Jarnkrok, and hit Manson on the follow-through.

The rule, posted and bolded just a few posts up, explicitly states that a Wild swing at a bouncing puck is NOT considered a follow-through exemption.

Jul 22, 2012
Missed calls happen. Get over it. Just like Manson should have, rather than cross checking someone in the side of the head in retaliation like a neanderthal.

I literally just spit out my drink. :laugh:

Oilers fans - Never change.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
If it wasn't for Kesler keeping Talbot's five hole open with his hand the Ducks would be golfing right now. The dreadful officiating has been unfortunately one of the top stories of this playoffs. Nobody even knows what a penalty is anymore. The league needs to get the problem solved because it's the most annoying thing about the game without any doubt.

Oilers shouldn't have collapsed in game 5 and choked away the game and a 2-0 series lead

They choked away 2/3rds of their lead. Kesler's unsportsmanlike goalie interference did the rest. If the right call was made, the Oilers preserve that lead, win the game, and win the series.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad