Player Discussion Artturi Lehkonen

Status
Not open for further replies.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
At the same age Plekanec got 29 in 67, granted it was his first season, but on the other hand had time to develop in the A, which Lek did in the big league instead.

People are way too critical of Artturi

I think it's part of the 'extremes' some Habs fans dwell in.

Never really saw a 'pure' top-6 player in him, mostly a middle-6 or a great 3rd liner.

And, why should it be a bad thing ?

Granted we've needed top-6 players for a while now, but every teams needs 2nd tier 2-way players like him, and we shouldn't expect all our prospects to develop into top-6 players, especially when it never was their upside to begin with.

If he can be a low-cost, 2-way winger who's very good defensively, provide some offense AND mesh well with the team spirit, I'm all for it.

Reactions: Fixxer and Runner77

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I think it's part of the 'extremes' some Habs fans dwell in.

Never really saw a 'pure' top-6 player in him, mostly a middle-6 or a great 3rd liner.

And, why should it be a bad thing ?

Granted we've needed top-6 players for a while now, but every teams needs 2nd tier 2-way players like him, and we shouldn't expect all our prospects to develop into top-6 players, especially when it never was their upside to begin with.

If he can be a low-cost, 2-way winger who's very good defensively, provide some offense AND mesh well with the team spirit, I'm all for it.

I still think he has more room to grow than simply a good two way middle sixer, but we'll see.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I'm really liking the way Lehkonen plays the game right now. He's fast, responsible defensively, doesn't take shifts off, makes good passes, wins puck battles and races, creates turnovers for his linemates, has gotten a bit stronger on his skates and is a bit harder to knock off the puck as a result. If he continues improving and playing the exact way he has the last 10-20 games he'll eventually pile up the points offensively.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
I'm really liking the way Lehkonen plays the game right now. He's fast, responsible defensively, doesn't take shifts off, makes good passes, wins puck battles and races, creates turnovers for his linemates, has gotten a bit stronger on his skates and is a bit harder to knock off the puck as a result. If he continues improving and playing the exact way he has the last 10-20 games he'll eventually pile up the points offensively.
He's our new Eller (kind of) and that's not a bad thing. I don't think he will ever put more point than 40.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I still think he has more room to grow than simply a good two way middle sixer, but we'll see.

He struggles to produce offense in terms of goals and assists but boy does his speed every cause havoc and turnovers. I also agree he still has room to grow. So many types like Lehkonen provide their value from 25-30 range.

Our team strength is speed and Lehkonen is a huge part of it.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
At the same age Plekanec got 29 in 67, granted it was his first season, but on the other hand had time to develop in the A, which Lek did in the big league instead.

People are way too critical of Artturi

What an odd comparison. Plekanec’s totals went up as he played. Lehkonen’s goal totals are going down each year and points close to being the same. There is no offensive progression.

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
Lehkonen couldn't score if his life depended on it. But he's very good without the puck. He's a relentless and efficient checker. It's a useful ability that coaches love.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Honestly. I see him getting dealt. Especially once Shaw and Byron are back. He’s really the only decent forward they could spare that teams would be interested in. I’m not talking huge deal mind you, but I think he gets moved.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He stinks away from the puck and in traffic. Trade bait.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
He stinks away from the puck and in traffic.
Gotta disagree. He plays solid defensively and is pretty good along the boards. A 3rd liner that chips in offensively at a good cap hit.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What an odd comparison. Plekanec’s totals went up as he played. Lehkonen’s goal totals are going down each year and points close to being the same. There is no offensive progression.

he struggled last year but missed 16 games. was on pace for 15 goals last year and 26 pts which would have been 3 less goals and 2 less points on a worse team. This year he's on pace for 38 pts, when he had only 49 in his career. He's very likely going to have more assists this year then he's had in his career as he's only 2 assists away from his 2 year totals. How's that not progression? He's already crushed his career high in assists going from 10 to 17 with 2 months still to go. He's 4 pts off his career high in 19 less games so he should easily also hit career high in points. That's certainly progression.

The main concern is his goals are down as he's on pace for just 11 when he had 12 last year in 66 games and 18 in 73. But he's 23 and still finding his way.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lehkonen couldn't score if his life depended on it. But he's very good without the puck. He's a relentless and efficient checker. It's a useful ability that coaches love.

He is on the right track and has shown ability to improve season after season. 2.5 Liiga season, 2 SHL seasons, and now in his 3rd NHL season at the age of 23. Look for the real value from him from age 25-30. He will be stronger, will still have his speed, and will be a more matured NHL player.

Reactions: montreal and Deebs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He stinks away from the puck and in traffic. Trade bait.

No way man. You are being way to critical on a 23 year old. He brings so much to the table and he don't take shifts off. Give the kid a break. He is a keeper in my books.

Both MT and CJ like him. Back to back coaches and he is a staple in our middle 6. Huge part of our future and he can also play both wings. He shows up game after game and his speed causes havoc. It's not just about points with Lehkonen people.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
So does Gallagher...doesn't really matter.
No way. Lehkonen falls WAY too easily.
Falling on the ice every shift? Come on man.
The game last night showed exactly what I was talking about. He must have fell like a dozen times in the first period alone. No matter the situation, he is ALWAYS falling. I also can't stand the fact that he misses every single grade A chance he gets.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

The game last night showed exactly what I was talking about. He must have fell like a dozen times in the first period alone. No matter the situation, he is ALWAYS falling. I also can't stand the fact that he misses every single grade A chance he gets.

I understand that you want him to produce more and it would be nice if he was stronger. But lets treat him like a 23 year old, not a 27 year old. He still has room to grow and try looking at his for check speed and how he causes turnovers. He was part responsible for various scoring chances created with Armia and Kotkaniemi last night.

Lehkonen should not be the player we part ways with cause he lacks strength. Don't underestimate the speed he brings and how speed is a huge part our top 9 strength.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

Sure he gets knocked off the puck, but the kid producing .44ppg at 16 minutes a game which includes a good chunk of PK time. He's producing and working his sack off. Tough to rag on the kid.

Reactions: Rockomax

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I understand that you want him to produce more and it would be nice if he was stronger. But lets treat him like a 23 year old, not a 27 year old. He still has room to grow and try looking at his for check speed and how he causes turnovers. He was part responsible for various scoring chances created with Armia and Kotkaniemi last night.

Lehkonen should not be the player we part ways with cause he lacks strength.
Missing those grade A chances in the playoffs is just as bad as turning the puck over for a breakaway. You absolutely can't do that as consistently as he does. This guy was supposed to be a sniper but he has lost the ability to snipe the puck for some reason. While he works hard, I find him overrated defensively. He is definitely prone to some awful giveaways that result in goals. Last night was hilarious. Armia was being a monster by maintaining possession of the puck while Lehkonen was falling on the ice in a Looney Tunes way as if he was constantly slipping on a banana peel.

That isn't the reason why I would trade him, but I would definitely package him to get a top 4 dman.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
he struggled last year but missed 16 games. was on pace for 15 goals last year and 26 pts which would have been 3 less goals and 2 less points on a worse team. This year he's on pace for 38 pts, when he had only 49 in his career. He's very likely going to have more assists this year then he's had in his career as he's only 2 assists away from his 2 year totals. How's that not progression? He's already crushed his career high in assists going from 10 to 17 with 2 months still to go. He's 4 pts off his career high in 19 less games so he should easily also hit career high in points. That's certainly progression.

The main concern is his goals are down as he's on pace for just 11 when he had 12 last year in 66 games and 18 in 73. But he's 23 and still finding his way.

He does a lot of things right. Love the kid for that. But I feel his points are mostly coming off creating turnovers and fighting in the corners for loose pucks rather than creative playmaking. That’s not a bad thing, but it still means he’s limited in what he can do. When the puck is on his stick for an extended amount of time, he’ll make safe plays. He has a bit of tunnel vision and his shot just isn’t what we originally thought it was.

I’m not saying I want him off the team, I’m just saying he’s the perfect trade chip to improve the team and get a real impact player.

I get the Lars Eller vibe. Lars is great, does a lot of nice things. But at the end of the day he’s a 30-35 point player and leaves you wanting more because on the surface he looks like he could do more.

Reactions: overlords
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad