Rumor: Arttu Ruotsalainen and Sabres reach verbal agreement

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Nobody gives a crap when the average NCAA allstar ufa will end up like Vesey or worse.

Newhook was about as productive in his freshman year as Vesey was in his senior year. Pretty big difference.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Buffalo could really challenge for a playoff spot next year if Ullmark can hold the fort down.

They have a solid top 6 forward group and some size in the bottom 6. If this guy and Cozens prove ready that’s a decent talent add for the bottom 6

if two of Cozens, Ruotsa, Middlestadt assert themselves as above average middle six forwards this team could be sneaky great

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Newhook was about as productive in his freshman year as Vesey was in his senior year. Pretty big difference.

As productive as Julius Mattila in 19-20. I guess 9th best forward production in a FEL team at draft+1 is exceptional performance in your opinion?

upload_2020-11-30_16-48-52.png

I guess Ottawa really hit the next multiyear Allstar in drafting Jarventie in the 2nd round. (/sarcasm)

Reactions: mattihp

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
As productive as Julius Mattila in 19-20. I guess 9th best forward production in a FEL team at draft+1 is exceptional performance in your opinion?

View attachment 377699

I guess Ottawa really hit the next multiyear Allstar in drafting Jarventie in the 2nd round. (/sarcasm)

I'm not sure what those stats are supposed to prove? Those look a lot more like Vesey's stats than Newhook's. Vesey sucks. (Newhook might be quite good.)

Unless we're pretending that age is irrelevant, in which case lol.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
I'm not sure what those stats are supposed to prove? Those look a lot more like Vesey's stats than Newhook's. Vesey sucks. (Newhook might be quite good.)

Unless we're pretending that age is irrelevant, in which case lol.

Only that NCAA is a junior league and the production doesn't mean much. Age is relevant because this future superstar was at draft+1 when achieving the NCAA results.

You all overinflate the results in the 10th best league in the world.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Only that NCAA is a junior league and the production doesn't mean much. Age is relevant because this future superstar was at draft+1 when achieving the NCAA results.

He was 22 and in his senior year when he finally managed to produce around Newhook's freshman season level. Much like Vesey, who, as previously mentioned, sucks.

If you actually agree that age matters, seems weird that you keep completely ignoring it.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
He was 22 and in his senior year when he finally managed to produce around Newhook's freshman season level. Much like Vesey, who, as previously mentioned, sucks.

If you actually agree that age matters, seems weird that you keep completely ignoring it.

Age is everything the younger you go. I think what's interesting about Ruotsalainen is it looks like his game has picked up at 22/23 and that often means a more serious commitment. But great stats at 18 can't be compared to 22.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Age is everything the younger you go. I think what's interesting about Ruotsalainen is it looks like his game has picked up at 22/23 and that often means a more serious commitment. But great stats at 18 can't be compared to 22.

Yeah, I mean, I don't think anyone is figuring R2 for a top line NHL player because of his current production in Liiga. Possibly a sound middle 6 player who can help on special teams, though, which is a nice get for free as a UDFA signing.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

You clearly don't understand the correlation between age of a player in a league and the pts he scores there and the impact that has on future success.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Yeah, I mean, I don't think anyone is figuring R2 for a top line NHL player because of his current production in Liiga. Possibly a sound middle 6 player who can help on special teams, though, which is a nice get for free as a UDFA signing.

You do see outliers all the time. But the odds skew towards great performances. Maybe the Sabres will get some diamonds — already struck gold with Oloffson, if you ask me. He didn't find his footing right away. Buffalo deserves a break.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
You clearly don't understand the correlation between age of a player in a league and the pts he scores there and the impact that has on future success.

Maybe it is you? 0.5ppg in FEL at draft+1 is bad. There are dudes out there with nearly goal per game at draft+1 in the far superior OHL that still bust in the pros. Like this guy Dmitri Sokolov at eliteprospects.com

Also this is list for Hobey Baker winners. The best player in the NCAA = 75% AHL bust. Most overrated league in this sport.

upload_2020-12-1_10-55-16.png

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Wow. Can't believe Junior Lessard was highly thought of in any league. Blake Geoffrion... This list is awesome.

Mike Mottau was always my first choice in NHL 02 when me and my cousin tried winning the cup with the worst possible roster. I think his rating was around 60!

Reactions: qqaz

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Maybe it is you? 0.5ppg in FEL at draft+1 is bad. There are dudes out there with nearly goal per game at draft+1 in the far superior OHL that still bust in the pros. Like this guy Dmitri Sokolov at eliteprospects.com

Also this is list for Hobey Baker winners. The best player in the NCAA = 75% AHL bust. Most overrated league in this sport.
It's like you just keep making the same arguments, ignoring what anyone else is saying...

Who said anything about the Hobey Baker Award winner? That has nothing to do with anything I said. Yes your list of 23 year old NCAA players who won an award because the truly best prospects leave before becoming seniors certainly proves something.....

..or not.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
It's like you just keep making the same arguments, ignoring what anyone else is saying...

Who said anything about the Hobey Baker Award winner? That has nothing to do with anything I said. Yes your list of 23 year old NCAA players who won an award because the truly best prospects leave before becoming seniors certainly proves something.....

..or not.

And look at the guys who won it young (Eichel, Gaudreau, Makar)-- they turned out to be pretty decent NHL players. Weird.

Ratatoskr

May 27, 2004
Germany
And look at the guys who won it young (Eichel, Gaudreau, Makar)-- they turned out to be pretty decent NHL players. Weird.
What the list tells me is how damn special it was for Eichel to win the Hobey Baker in his draft year. Unique achievement.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
You do see outliers all the time. But the odds skew towards great performances. Maybe the Sabres will get some diamonds — already struck gold with Oloffson, if you ask me. He didn't find his footing right away. Buffalo deserves a break.

When it c0mes to europe I think you can find more diamonds in the rough than in the CHL/USHL just because you dont haver as many eyes on the player. especially in some of the U18 leagues.

A reason Olofsson fell is because some of the souting sites had him at 5-7...not an accurate height.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Did this dude just call OHL far superior to Liiga?
Maybe a broader base of superior U20 players (future NHL players) in the OHL than in any league? Clearly Liiga, being a men’s league, has better teams. Wouldn’t Liiga be more like a CHL - AHL hybrid. Has some U20 guys, who are future NHL stars, but the vast majority of players are men who are not NHL caliber.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Maybe a broader base of superior U20 players (future NHL players) in the OHL than in any league? Clearly Liiga, being a men’s league, has better teams. Wouldn’t Liiga be more like a CHL - AHL hybrid. Has some U20 guys, who are future NHL stars, but the vast majority of players are men who are not NHL caliber.

I compare it to the old IHL. Minus the goons, of course.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Not to mention Vesey winning it was considered a pretty weird choice, since Kyle Connor did much better but was a freshman. It's a trophy that older players are favored for.

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
Wow. Can't believe Junior Lessard was highly thought of in any league. Blake Geoffrion... This list is awesome.

Mike Mottau was always my first choice in NHL 02 when me and my cousin tried winning the cup with the worst possible roster. I think his rating was around 60!

Geoffrion was a very good player until his injury. That's not his fault.

Reactions: Buffalo Preds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad