Article: Rangers and Alexander Ovechkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
clefty said:
Oh Christ, I'm not going to sift through 4 more years of articles. Getting back to 2001 took long enough. If you want the sources so bad, that task can be up to you.

And besides, one of those sources talks about his complaining on Kevin Constantine's coaching - back in 1999.
alright i do admit those comments concerned me but i find it hard to believe what was said is something new to teams although i can believe jagrs situation couldve been worse then other teams.. still with that said the articles surely dont depit jagr as such a huge cancer and "one of the biggest cancers in sports"

either way despite the entire arguments gone on in this thread i cant believe that jagr would have a negative affect on a prospect

i wonder if all those concerned for ovechkins poor soul are just as concerned for the barker, green, ladd, malkin, olesz.. one is bound to get picked.. i wonder if they about the emotional hit ovechkin takes once he is sent back to russia or juniors because his team can not afford him.. no that is not a knock that is a comment which is as ridiculous and very comperable to the notion the rangers will have such a negative affect on ovechkin

Last edited:

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
I can't stand Jaromir Jagr. Ugh. The ultimate prima donna. The 11 million dollar wuss.
How much payroll did the Rangers dump? They were the highest payroll team in the league. Now who is? Detroit?

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
in the hall said:
alright i do admit those comments concerned me but i find it hard to believe what was said is something new to teams

who said that? Of course is wasn't anything new.

i can believe jagrs situation couldve been worse then other teams.. still with that said the articles surely dont depit jagr as such a huge cancer

"What he said didn't affect us that much on the ice, but having it in the locker room was almost like a cloud," Ference said. "You look around here now, and you don't have the negative aspects of somebody on your team demanding a trade or just knowing that he doesn't want to be there. It hangs over the whole team. I can't look at that and say it brought anything positive to the team. It didn't help us at all."

Sounds pretty bad to me.

and "one of the biggest cancers in sports"

Probably not, but certainly so for the Penguins in hist last seasons here.

either way despite the entire arguments gone on in this thread i cant believe that jagr would have a negative affect on a prospect

I certainly wouldn't rule it out, nor would I rule it our for any player. Maybe he wont, I can't say one way or another, but he's managed to have a negative impact on a whole team (see Ference quote above). All it takes is another mood swing or another one of his "misquotes" in the media (which he'll later blame on his poor english).

bigeasy

Mar 18, 2003
Yankee in South Ga.
Visit site
leopards don't change there spots

this has no basis's on any first hand experience w/ jagr. i am a caps fan.

to be questioning when jagr became a prima donna and a cancer or if he was before the end of a tenure w/ pittsburgh is pointless IMO. there is so much evidence in the end of pitts. and most of jis time in wash. that jagr was a cancer and a pain. i don't think he changed and started acting that way after a couple of the years. the difference was the pengiuns were winning. winning cures alot of problems. if jagr had been scoring a 100+ points and leading the caps to playoff wins he would still be there and no one would be complaining outloud about him. but if you are going to be a high priced pain you better produce and win or you will not last.

that plus $1.06 will get you a soda in a small town :)

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
i'd have to disagree with all the pens fans disrespecting jagr so much.

he was NOT always a cancer. he was a pittsburgh hero up until 2000. he carried them on his back in '99 and on one leg to upset the devils in the first round. everybody loved him.

his honeymoon with pittsburgh ended starting in the 2000-01 season, when he requested a trade multiple times.

to trash him so badly after he gave us 10 years of amazing play including 5 art rosses, is very disrespectful. his # is going to hang in the mellon/new arena one day, and that's well deserved.

i don't like what jagr did in 2000-01 either, but you can't just erase all the good things he's done for the franchise.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I think that some of his actions

bigeasy said:
this has no basis's on any first hand experience w/ jagr. i am a caps fan.

to be questioning when jagr became a prima donna and a cancer or if he was before the end of a tenure w/ pittsburgh is pointless IMO. there is so much evidence in the end of pitts. and most of jis time in wash. that jagr was a cancer and a pain. i don't think he changed and started acting that way after a couple of the years. the difference was the pengiuns were winning. winning cures alot of problems. if jagr had been scoring a 100+ points and leading the caps to playoff wins he would still be there and no one would be complaining outloud about him. but if you are going to be a high priced pain you better produce and win or you will not last.

that plus $1.06 will get you a soda in a small town :)

in Washington could be due to the fact that he really didn't want to be there to begin with.

Should he have handled that more professionally? without question, but some people can put their feelings to the side, some can't. It doesn't make him any less of a person or talent.

I'll judge him on his time in NY as I did with Eric. While he hasn't been the player I was hoping for (Eric that is) the "issues" he was having in Philly seemed to have not come to NY with him and that's how I judge Eric. I'll do the same with Jagr.

Dr.Strangelove91

Nov 27, 2002
Tricolore world
Visit site
George Harrison said:
If that's true why is almost nobody going to Pirates games the past few seasons. A bunch of hard working youngsters, some nice guys on that team, not a speck of talent. They should sell out every home game. I'd rather root for guys who aren't asses but winning takes priority over that.

Anyways guys,

No team with tons of talent and lack of heart has ever raise the cup. See the rangers the last 7 years.

highstickingyerface

Mar 5, 2004
eastern canada
I am sure the NHL would love to have Ovechkin wind up in New York rather than a non marketable team, if he ends up being anywhere close to the type of impact player he's been hyped to become.

The Rangers payroll will once again be near the top of the league when the next NHL season begins, you can most certainly take that to the bank. Sather cleaned house but the kids auditioning for NHL duty now won't be key Ranger players next season IMO (save for Tyutin).

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
highstickingyerface said:
I am sure the NHL would love to have Ovechkin wind up in New York rather than a non marketable team, if he ends up being anywhere close to the type of impact player he's been hyped to become.

The Rangers payroll will once again be near the top of the league when the next NHL season begins, you can most certainly take that to the bank. Sather cleaned house but the kids auditioning for NHL duty now won't be key Ranger players next season IMO (save for Tyutin).
nah the leetch trade pretty much killed any chance of that... but then again under sather and dolan for that matter you never know.....

GoM

Dec 17, 2003
Toronto
dailyfaceoff.com
"...and the eight percent chance of hitting the jackpot from the fifth position may not seem like much, but eight percent certainly is more than Anson Carter ever gave during his time in New York"

:joker:

Shadowtron

Feb 27, 2002
Earth
Foppa_Rules said:
I can't stand Jaromir Jagr. Ugh. The ultimate prima donna. The 11 million dollar wuss.
How much payroll did the Rangers dump? They were the highest payroll team in the league. Now who is? Detroit?

Detroit's had the highest payroll for about 2-3 seasons. The Rangers were always a close second. After the tradeline the Rangers are now somewhere around 44 million.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
Being from Pittsburgh i've heard alot about Jagr like the rest of you, however in fairness to "in the hall", He didn't start getting trashed around here till his final season w/ the pens, and that pretty much all went silent once 66 came back. I would agree that he was a clubhouse cancer probably in the year before Lemieux came back. He's probably the one that got Constantine fired, as well as Ivan. However, he's no way in hell as bad as some of you make him out to be. Personally, i'd love to have him back w/ the Pens, if his attitude about rebuilding was right.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
roast said:
Being from Pittsburgh i've heard alot about Jagr like the rest of you, however in fairness to "in the hall", He didn't start getting trashed around here till his final season w/ the pens, and that pretty much all went silent once 66 came back. I would agree that he was a clubhouse cancer probably in the year before Lemieux came back. He's probably the one that got Constantine fired, as well as Ivan. However, he's no way in hell as bad as some of you make him out to be. Personally, i'd love to have him back w/ the Pens, if his attitude about rebuilding was right.
I definitely wouldn't say he was responsible for Hlinka's dismissal. Hlinka was, by his refusal to learn the damned English language.

And because Jagr was in Washington when Hlinka was fired.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
clefty said:
I definitely wouldn't say he was responsible for Hlinka's dismissal. Hlinka was, by his refusal to learn the damned English language.

And because Jagr was in Washington when Hlinka was fired.

ah, thanks for pointing that out.

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
profiles.sports.yahoo.com
Capitals owner Ted Leonsis told Canada's National Post that he is glad to be rid of Jaromir Jagr: "It's ironic that we have a better record without Jagr pre-trade and a better record without Jagr post-trade." Leonsis also revealed that the team will now lose $25 million this season rather than the $31 million that was projected before he traded away most of his high-priced players.

Post Gazzette

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
i am not looking for what capitals or their fans say or think.. it is what he was before when he was at his i suppose you can say happiest moments in pittsburgh

i have no doubts he was a cancer in his final years in pitt and washington but i certainly do not believe he was "one of the biggest cancers in sports" no less his entire career

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad