News Article: Article on Iginla Debacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Here's my second attempt at this, within the rules of course. Apologies for the earlier faux pas in posting the entire article and not the link.

http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ic...-and-another-thought-on-iginla/#axzz2mkj3uh60

It's Rossi, and he's awfully, awfully good at presenting things as fact without any actual quotes, or you know, facts, but there's something there. I would have completely dismissed it as speculation and more pot stirring had I not remembered about Bylsma's "promise" to Dupuis that he'd remain on the first line after Iggy was acquired. Reading the article got my blood boiling because unfortunately, I can't help but think most of it is somehow true.

I'm going to preface this by saying that Iggy, regardless of what side of the ice he was on, was pretty underwhelming during the playoffs. Yes, he picked up points during the first couple of rounds against some very suspect teams, but even then, his compete level along the boards was suspect at best, as was his speed. He looked every bit a power forward who had aged at a much faster rate because of the way he played.

However, this does doesn't excuse Bylsma's stubborn refusal to put a 500 goal scorer who could still fire the puck like no other on the PP, or excuse the fact that regardless of how he was playing, you don't make matters even worse by putting him in a position he hadn't played during a 17 year HOF career.

"The sense here is that Iginla, despite his public comments otherwise, always thought he was coming to the Penguins to play with Sidney Crosby."

This is probably dead on because remember, Iginla put the kibosh on his trade to Boston. It wasn't Shero's brilliance (which I touted at the time), but the simple fact that Iginla chose the Penguins over the Bruins. Regardless of whether he thought he was going to play with Sid or Geno, he knew he was going to play with one of the two top centers in the world. I refuse to believe that the man accepts the trade if he believed that A) He was going to be put on his off wing and B) He wasn't going to be used on the PP.

"Crosby’s preference was always to keep his linemates, Chris Kunitz and Pascal Dupuis. (Given Iginla’s lack of burst and diminished hands in tight quarters – two attributes that belonged to Dupuis – Crosby was right to have that preference.)"

Then there's some stuff in there about Bylsma's priority being to keep his franchise players "happy", which made me want to throw up in my mouth a little. What made me actually throw up OUT of my mouth was the above quote where some people think that Dupuis has good hands in tight quarters. That may be one of the most false things I have ever read about a hockey player.

Last edited by a moderator:

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Crosby is the captain, the Penguins’ heart.
Malkin, the top alternate, is the soul.
Brooks Orpik, a second alternate, is the conscience.
Kunitz, also a second alternate, is the blood and the guts.
Dupuis – and this, as much as his performance last season, was why removing him from the top line was never an option – had become the cartilage.

What the **** is that wack bull****?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'll take Rossi with a grain of salt, but...

I hated DB's promise to Dupuis, even if I believe Iggy should have performed much better regardless of who he played with or what side he played on. If Bylsma is intent on keeping KCD together (or Dupes in the top 6) at all costs moving forward, we have a problem.

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
I'll take Rossi with a grain of salt, but...

I hated DB's promise to Dupuis, even if I believe Iggy should have performed much better regardless of who he played with or what side he played on. If Bylsma is intent on keeping KCD together (or Dupes in the top 6) at all costs moving forward, we have a problem.

What about having Dan Bylsma as coach period wouldn't make you think we have a problem?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If any of that is even a little true, especially the upsetting the dressing room part, this team has bigger problems than Bylsma's coaching gaffe's.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
What the **** was Rossi on when he wrote that?

Crosby is the captain, the Penguins’ heart.

Malkin, the top alternate, is the soul.

Brooks Orpik, a second alternate, is the conscience.

Kunitz, also a second alternate, is the blood and the guts.

Dupuis – and this, as much as his performance last season, was why removing him from the top line was never an option – had become the cartilage.

Dupuis having hands.

It all makes sense now, no one is the bones and backbone of the team. That's why they lack structure and let everyone else **** with their stars. They need bones, damn it! Not Beauners, bones.

This being Rossi makes me think pretty much none of that happened, and that he might secretly have some embarrassing blog where he pontificates on the weirdest ****. Today: Why the shmittsburgh shmenguins are secretly a cover for soda smuggling; and who really has the codes to the noques.

I'm not sure Rossi realizes how bad this actually makes Bylsma and the organization look...

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
However you slice it, the right hand (Shero) did not know what the left hand (Bylsma) was doing. And Vice Versa.

Either Disco misused Iggy horribly, or Shero acquired the guy without any discussion with Disco at all and Iggy did not fit, either by style of play, or star demands or whatever.

But the BEST case is that there was zero communication between coaches and management. No matter how you try and look at this, it looks bad.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Disturbing article for sure. Culture problems confirmed if true.

On the other hand - I thought this was the best I have seen from Rossi, at least as an article based on conjecture, which he seemed to be acknowledging.

We will likely never know if this was on the money or not till DB is long gone.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Dupuis doesn't have good hands in tight quarters, but note that the last two seasons he got a bunch of goals just chopping at free pucks within 5 feet of the tender. Also note that whatever ability Iginla used to have at doing the same was completely gone by the time of his acquisition.

I've watched plenty of him with Boston this year and it's the same thing as it is with Dupuis when he's close this season. The puck just won't stay on his stick. He got a few goals from there, but they were complete botchings. He'll try to pass backdoor, for example, and it hits the goaltender quite by accident and it rolls into the net. He'll whack the rebound well wide and it caroms off a D's skate.

I'm not convinced Dupuis didn't and doesn't have better hands in tight at this point in their careers (particularly when Iggy was acquired), but that's not to say PD's hands in tight aren't awful, because they are.

Now that that's out of the way...

What Rossi writes is certainly plausible, but that's all it is--plausible. There's no visible meat on the spit, just smoke obscuring it.

One can come up with all sorts of plausible explanations for things that happen (ex. Colorado traded Downie for Talbot because they needed PK help and veteran leadership, which was true), but that doesn't mean that's why they happen (Downie was upsetting the fledgling leadership structure).

Rossi being Rossi, it wouldn't surprise me if he just pulled this "plausible" article out of his ass.

Edit: also, if Brenden Morrow, Jarome Iginla and Jokinen spent 82 games together, that line would be a minus 50 by season's end.

Last edited:

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Here's my second attempt at this, within the rules of course. Apologies for the earlier faux pas in posting the entire article and not the link.

http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ic...-and-another-thought-on-iginla/#axzz2mkj3uh60
A Rossi conjecture article. I've seen this movie before.

And like many of you I thought to myself "WTF" or "Drama Queen" when I read the players being body parts (guess he decided not to get to some lower regions when describing the coach). Dupuis is the cartiledge? Lame.

However, there is a Crosby quote (and a Shero quote as well) quote floating around somewhere where he alludes to his preference of playing with Kunitz and Dupuis. I posted it awhile back but dunno where. One was a sports Illustrated article and the other from the Trib IIRC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Rossi is more of an idiot than Bylsma. The fact that he gets paid to write his ******** is actually a bit sickening.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Once more though, I might give a pass on Iggy, merely because he has just not produced this year, and Boston is not making him play the wrong side, or with scrubs. He remains on pace for 14 goals and 44 points. I realize that he brings some other things to the table, but those are awful numbers for a $6 million contract. ESPECIALLY this year when the cap went down dramatically. Maybe Bylsma saw him and saw that he was a shell of his former self and used him accordingly.

Bengui

Jul 24, 2009
No matter how much of a hack Rossi is, no matter how much Iginla has aged, I find it hard to deny that there was communication lost between Shero and Bylsma. No matter how you look at it, trading for Iginla to play on his off wing was not the better way for us to get a shot at the cup last season. Someone dropped the ball.

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
If any of that is even a little true, especially the upsetting the dressing room part, this team has bigger problems than Bylsma's coaching gaffe's.

True.

It's like they don't want to win anymore, they just want to be a happy bunch in unicorn land. I'd love to see how the players would react to a trade of one of the core players. Trade them all to Edmonton.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Once more though, I might give a pass on Iggy, merely because he has just not produced this year, and Boston is not making him play the wrong side, or with scrubs. He remains on pace for 14 goals and 44 points. I realize that he brings some other things to the table, but those are awful numbers for a $6 million contract. ESPECIALLY this year when the cap went down dramatically. Maybe Bylsma saw him and saw that he was a shell of his former self and used him accordingly.
Give it a little time. He's always been a 2nd half player.

I don't agree with him thinking that he would come to the Pens to play with Sid. From every interview he had back then he always said that he would play where ever he was put. He said it almost a little to much and seemed to force people to understand that he wasn't in Pittsburgh to play on the top line.

I have no problem with putting Dupuis with Sid over Iggy last season. Mostly because Iggy looked downright awful for the Pens. He killed plays worse than an aging Billy G ever did, won almost no board battles and couldn't keep up with the Pens system. IMO the Pens play with a pace only 60% of the league can play for but that's for another thread.

The PP is another matter. Its the only thing he did well and the insane lean to the right side of the ice by the Pens is easily defendable... even now.

IMO last years debacle is more about Shero than Disco. The team was rolling along pretty well then there was such a huge change right at the deadline that fitting in 4 new players in a short time is kind of crazy.

Hockey isn't like it used to be. Its not like you collect good players and who ever has more wins... Its all about the system and players fitting in that system. Bringing in 35 YO's to play in a speed system was downright stupid.

Another thing about Disco is that the Pens have been "superstar run" for over 30 years. Almost every coach they've had has played into this win sloppy, lose badly mentality. Scotty Bowmen was driven away and Badger was close to getting canned too. Its a culture of BS that the Pens have going on and they groom Joe Torre's. Coaches that can deal with ego's over coaches that will actually coach.

It almost why I give Bylsma a break. I'm not sure if he's actually calling the shots as much as following them. I was hoping he would be the next Badger but it seems like the Pens have turned him into Eddie Johnston.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
A Rossi conjecture article. I've seen this movie before.

And like many of you I thought to myself "WTF" or "Drama Queen" when I read the players being body parts (guess he decided not to get to some lower regions when describing the coach). Dupuis is the cartiledge? Lame.

However, there is a Crosby quote (and a Shero quote as well) quote floating around somewhere where he alludes to his preference of playing with Kunitz and Dupuis. I posted it awhile back but dunno where. One was a sports Illustrated article and the other from the Trib IIRC.

Crosby once preferred playing with Colby Armstrong, and therein lies the rub . . .

While undoubtedly NOT his intention, Rossi has articulated so much of what is wrong with the Pens organization culturally.

Words like 'family' and 'entertainment' have become every bit as important as words like 'Stanley Cup'. 'Managing' Dupuis ego is seen as having (any) importance. A guy like Dupuis (or Adams for that matter) is seen as part of the core. We get mustache boy and wiffle ball and 'thank you Tyler Kennedy' videos.

And yet, discipline and accountability have become nonexistent. Even the thought of moving someone like Sid's BFF or a top three defensemen ended the day the Pens won the cup. Heck, the only way a 'member of the family' leaves is retirement, asking out, or pricing himself out.

Steve Shutt once said of Scotty Bowman: "You hated him for 364 days a year. And on the 365th day you collected your Stanley Cup rings.''

I'm sure Dan Bylsma's players-- from Sid to Geno to Dupuis and all the way to Craig Adams-- just love him 364 days of the year.

I think the most disconcerting thing about this organization is that you can look at it and say that the country club is back and bigger than ever.

Actually, it's more disconcerting than just that. The most disconcerting thing is that you'd assumed or hoped that Shero would know better and that Sid's desire to win cups and forge his legacy would transcend every other consideration.

I fear more and more that the epitaph of the Crosby/Malkin era will be 'WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN'.

The last four years-- and articles like these-- serve only to justify that fear.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Dupuis doesn't have good hands in tight quarters, but note that the last two seasons he got a bunch of goals just chopping at free pucks within 5 feet of the tender. Also note that whatever ability Iginla used to have at doing the same was completely gone by the time of his acquisition.

I've watched plenty of him with Boston this year and it's the same thing as it is with Dupuis when he's close this season. The puck just won't stay on his stick. He got a few goals from there, but they were complete botchings. He'll try to pass backdoor, for example, and it hits the goaltender quite by accident and it rolls into the net. He'll whack the rebound well wide and it caroms off a D's skate.

I'm not convinced Dupuis didn't and doesn't have better hands in tight at this point in their careers (particularly when Iggy was acquired), but that's not to say PD's hands in tight aren't awful, because they are.

Now that that's out of the way...

What Rossi writes is certainly plausible, but that's all it is--plausible. There's no visible meat on the spit, just smoke obscuring it.

One can come up with all sorts of plausible explanations for things that happen (ex. Colorado traded Downie for Talbot because they needed PK help and veteran leadership, which was true), but that doesn't mean that's why they happen (Downie was upsetting the fledgling leadership structure).

Rossi being Rossi, it wouldn't surprise me if he just pulled this "plausible" article out of his ass.

Edit: also, if Brenden Morrow, Jarome Iginla and Jokinen spent 82 games together, that line would be a minus 50 by season's end.

What other equally or more 'plausible' explanation is there for how Iginla was deployed?

Can you make one up that even comes close to Rossi's 'it's about the family and egos' explanation for how Iginla was deployed?

EDIT: I'm not asking that to be flippant. I'm asking that because, try as I might, I can't come up with anything that speaks to Iggy on Malkin's LW being about putting Malkin in the best position to succeed or putting the Pens in the best possible position to win the cup.

switch23

Sep 22, 2010
Abe-Simpson-walking-in-and-out-t-1.gif

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
cartilage - rarely breaks and you can get by just fine without it.

Story checks out.

412 Others

5Cups beats 2Cups
Mar 24, 2009
Black + Gold = Pittsburgh
sid should not have to worry about upsetting BFFs, a coach with testicular fortitude is supposed to make an occasional call that ruffles feathers (of players older than 22). sometimes you gotta be a dick, dan.

a 25 game point streak by our captain was fun to watch, but good lord did it come at a price.

penguins2946*

If that is true about Crosby, **** him. He's not the coach. I don't give a crap if you're the face of the NHL, you don't make the decisions around here. Too bad Bylsma doesn't have the balls to tell him that.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
I think this article was just the buffer for the upcoming extension to the conscience of the team. Orpik being re-signed this off-season is going to have me reevaluating my following of this team. That metaphysical section makes me think Rossi writes Penguin fan-fiction for fun.

cartilage - rarely breaks and you can get by just fine without it.

Story checks out.

hehehehe

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
If that is true about Crosby, **** him. He's not the coach. I don't give a crap if you're the face of the NHL, you don't make the decisions around here. Too bad Bylsma doesn't have the balls to tell him that.
That's BS. Any coach would do it... if the GM and owner had his back. The Pens have been player run for 30 years... you're blaming the wrong guy for that culture.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bottom line with Iginla is that Shero made a mistake by trading for him, hes washed up.

I couldn't be happier to see Iginla end up in Boston, last year in the playoffs Krejci Lucic Horton carried Boston offensively, that wouldn't happen this year with Iginla on that line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad