Player Discussion Artemi Panarin

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Question to people smarter than me in hockey. Panarin seems like such a similar player to Kucherov but Kucherov is more productive (which is more of a compliment to Kucherov than a knock on Panarin). What does Kucherov have that Panarin doesn't?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bread4Life

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
Question to people smarter than me in hockey. Panarin seems like such a similar player to Kucherov but Kucherov is more productive (which is more of a compliment to Kucherov than a knock on Panarin). What does Kucherov have that Pamarin doesn't?
Kucherov is bigger and definitely plays with a bit more of an edge. He seems to score more goals around the net and on redirections than Panarin who scores purely from the slot or on the rush

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Question to people smarter than me in hockey. Panarin seems like such a similar player to Kucherov but Kucherov is more productive (which is more of a compliment to Kucherov than a knock on Panarin). What does Kucherov have that Pamarin doesn't?
I think they are very similar stylistically, Kucherov is a faster skater and plays with guys who are more skilled and not as stupid when it comes to creating offense

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
Kucherov is a little more deceptive, and has better physical tools because he's bigger. I also think Kucherov has the best IQ in the league offensively and uses deception to trick everyone on the ice. Panarin is very smart too, I just wish he was a little quicker and had more of an edge.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Eh, I don't think Panarin and Kucherov are really that comparable. They're both deceptive and have elite playmaking vision, but Kucherov is much, much more aggressive and physical in how he pushes offense. A big part of Tampa coming back to beat us was that they started bullying us, and Kucherov was one of the guys that lead the charge on that.

Panarin leans much more heavily on that deception and vision. That's why the gap between the two becomes a chasm in the playoffs.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Noticed he had what looked like a splint on his thumb last night. Between the 4 and 5 minute mark of the 2nd period. If that’s from that slash by Hedman, than I can think of a few of his teammates that deserve a good Remping

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Bread was flying again last night.

At some points in the game it looked like he was skiing on his skates out there.

Is it possible that you can actually improve your game at 32? He's amazing.
It is the lafreniere affect. He has had elite 5v5 #s for 3 years now. PP time is what’s keeping him from All Star status.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Just to put into context how good Artemi Panarin is (or how bad the Rangers franchise is)

9 players have scored at over a point per game rate during their Rangers careers. Two of those 9 had fewer than 90 games played with the Rangers

The other 7 are:

Jagr (1.152)
Poddubny (1.151)
Gretzky (1.064)
Nicholls (1.058)
Bathgate (1.014)
Nylander (1.013)

Panarin (1.296)

He already ranks 12th in all time assists as a Ranger and 16th in points

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Biggest difference between the 2 is speed, by far. Panarin doesn't have the ability to beat defenders with physicality which makes him more predictable when he does a pull up on zone entry like 80% of the time. Kucherov also has a superior one-timer but Bread probably has the more accurate snap shot. Probably the most accurate shooter in the league or at worst top 3. Both amazing passers and vision.

Prime Panarin was closer to what Kucherov currently is. I know Panarin statistically is having his best year, but watch some of his 5 on 5 play when he was with Chicago and Columbus. He's a smarter player now but he was a quicker player then, whether that was him just being faster at a younger age or the league being slower at that time. Or more likely a combination of the two

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Biggest difference between the 2 is speed, by far. Panarin doesn't have the ability to beat defenders with physicality which makes him more predictable when he does a pull up on zone entry like 80% of the time. Kucherov also has a superior one-timer but Bread probably has the more accurate snap shot. Probably the most accurate shooter in the league or at worst top 3. Both amazing passers and vision.

Prime Panarin was closer to what Kucherov currently is. I know Panarin statistically is having his best year, but watch some of his 5 on 5 play when he was with Chicago and Columbus. He's a smarter player now but he was a quicker player then, whether that was him just being faster at a younger age or the league being slower at that time. Or more likely a combination of the two
Agree Kucherov is faster but I think Panarin is a way better skater than people on here suggest, I think people see the NHL Edge thing where he doesn't rank well but that's only top speed, so I think that difference in eye test vs NHL edge is because his acceleration is good and so is his agility. I'd still say he's one of the better skaters on the team

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
About once every three games so far this season Artemi has been either the 1st-11, 2nd-8 or 3rd-4 stars of the game. His closest competition is Igor with 6-6-1. Keep in mind that's not just home games but road games too. This is his most productive and best season. His decision to shoot the puck more makes him a much more lethal player this year than in the last few. He's more focused, harder for goaltenders and defenders to read and less apt to make mistakes forcing plays that really aren't there.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
Eh, I don't think Panarin and Kucherov are really that comparable. They're both deceptive and have elite playmaking vision, but Kucherov is much, much more aggressive and physical in how he pushes offense. A big part of Tampa coming back to beat us was that they started bullying us, and Kucherov was one of the guys that lead the charge on that.

Panarin leans much more heavily on that deception and vision. That's why the gap between the two becomes a chasm in the playoffs.
lol. Got love this ridiculous false narrative. No one bullies the Rangers. We are literally 3rd in hits, and when Trouba and Lindgren are back in the lineup, they Rangers are probably the most physical team in the league.

• Haha
Reactions: EdJovanovski

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Bread was flying again last night.

At some points in the game it looked like he was skiing on his skates out there.

Is it possible that you can actually improve your game at 32? He's amazing.
Go back to his first two years as a Ranger. This is who he was. It's just a matter of him playing a more complete game. He's shooting the puck more. He's backchecking more. He's battling more. He's getting to the middle more and turning the puck over less.

I don't expect him to be quite this good in the playoffs, as teams focus more on physicality and defense, but this is the type of play that will translate well. We won't see 2 points in 7 games again.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
lol. Got love this ridiculous false narrative. No one bullies the Rangers. We are literally 3rd in hits, and when Trouba and Lindgren are back in the lineup, they Rangers are probably the most physical team in the league.

We absolutely got bullied. If you think that Tampa just outskilled us when they came back and took the series, then that's the false narrative.

We're definitely more physical now (though most physical in the league may be a stretch), but we probably weren't even in the top half of the league then.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
thats probably because our even strength possession numbers were so bad, we are definitely a soft team but Rempe is changing that thankfully

• Haha
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
We absolutely got bullied. If you think that Tampa just outskilled us when they came back and took the series, then that's the false narrative.

We're definitely more physical now (though most physical in the league may be a stretch), but we probably weren't even in the top half of the league then.
I’m sorry, I didn’t realize you were talking about the playoff series two years ago. I was talking about this year, and I thought you meant the last game when we had a 2-0 lead.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad