Proposal: Artemi Panarin to SJS

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I know Sharks players. Labanc and Meier would make fine second line wingers.

Unfortunately that's not remotely enough for Panarin. I'd rather just keep for a year and let him go for nothing than trade him a year early for that.

Meier is a 1st line winger right now.

I would offer Meier+Tierney+Joshua Norris+2020 1st for Panarin if he were willing to sign an extension.

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
Your team missed the playoffs. My team had 100 points and swept another 100 point team in the first round and Meier was 2nd in 5V5 points on my team.

... and also lost to a 1st year expansion team.

I wasn’t speaking of the Blues directly.

I just meant in general. If I am making up a team and have players like the Sharks do, Meier is playing on the 2nd line.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I wasn’t speaking of the Blues directly.

I just meant in general. If I am making up a team and have players like the Sharks do, Meier is playing on the 2nd line.

Right, and I was sort of being a dick there, and I apologize. I love Meier and so I have to defend him whenever I can.

Personally, I think Meier is better than Evander Kane right now, and everybody thinks Kane is a 1st liner. I don’t think Meier is a 1st line playmaker (F2) or goal scorer (F3) but I do think he is a 1st line forechecker (F1), if that makes sense.

For the Sharks, right now, my lines would be:

Hertl-Couture-Donskoi
Meier-Thornton-Pavelski

Hertl-Couture-Donskoi would be taking defensive matchups and Meier-Thornton-Pavelski would be offensively deployed. Debatable which would be the first line. Problem is I think the coaching staff will play Kane in that spot over Meier.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Your team missed the playoffs. My team had 100 points and swept another 100 point team in the first round and Meier was 2nd in 5V5 points on my team.

Call me when big Joe is able to actually lift that silver looking thing behind him over his head.

fa379fcbcf094b83bfb7a95667a2933d.jpg

lucky0slevin

Aug 9, 2011

Unfortunately that's not remotely enough for Panarin. I'd rather just keep for a year and let him go for nothing than trade him a year early for that.

That's a bold move cotton. Letting your top player go like that. Islanders fan know the feeling. I would do the trade knowing I was gonna lose said player to FA

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
What’s funny is that SJS made the 2nd round with Labanc and Tierney. Don’t worry Columbus, you’ll win a series one day!

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
That's actually a good offer if Panarin really is only signing in one of the cities he's rumoured to only be interested in, because it means for every other team you're buying a1 year rental.

Kial Bonetti

Jul 1, 2018
No, need a better individual piece than Tierney or Labanc. Minimum is someone who will immediately slot into the Jackets top-6.

Lebanc is top 6. Last year was his first full year in the league. He has been trending up every since he got drafted. Better and better every year. I actually wouldn’t want to include him in the trade cause I feel he’s going to have a breakout year. He has elite level offensive skills and is young, which is exactly what we need. I actually wouldn’t want to even trade for panarin unless it’s a deal we can make work without having to give up Meier, Lebanc or Balcers. I feel we will improve next year alone by just the improved production of both Meier and Lebanc. They will both have significantly better seasons and I’m expecting Kane to have a better season too.
Timo Meier would definitely slot into the top-6 immediately. In my opinion, he’s better than Evander Kane right now.

Timo Meier+Chris Tierney+Joshua Norris+2020 1st

Nah. I feel Meier is going to have a breakout year; same with Lebanc. Both have Elite offensive skill and I expect both of them to break out next year. I feel Meier might hit 40 and Lebanc has been trending up ever since we drafted him. We will be a better team next year just off the improved seasons these two will have. Plus we also have Balcers in the pipeline and Suomela. I would also test Sorensen in a top 6 role. He was lights out in the playoffs.

Kial Bonetti

Jul 1, 2018
Or people know when they see deals of 3rd liners for 1st liners... which even is how you had the players ending up on their new teams.

Show how much you know of the Sharks system. Now both players did play on the 3rd line last year at times, just like they both played on the 1st/2nd lines as well. If you knew our system you would know that was only cause we had crazy winger depth. Both Meier and Lebanc have elite offensive skill with top line potential. Lebanc has been trending up ever since we drafted him; just look at his elite prospect page and see each season since drafting him. He’s a late round gem. Meier on the other hand had a rough start to his NHL career, but he put it all together and started tearing it up second half of the season. I’m telling you this kid is a future 40+ goal scorer. I think next year he will have 30+, not sure yet about 40. The point is that both these players are going to have big years next year and they are by no means 3rd line players. Actually if I was DW I wouldn’t pull the trigger on any trade including these two.

Kial Bonetti

Jul 1, 2018

You are overvaluing Panarin. Columbus will not get what he is worth, or what you ask of him anyways. GM’s know this and will exploit it just like any high caliber player that gets traded.

1. He only has one year left on his contract
2. He hasn’t officially said he wants out, but we all know he does. Like I read on an article; he didn’t come all this way from Russia to play in Ohio. It’s sad, but it’s also true.

Especially after Tavares, GM’s are going to take less risks when it comes to their pending UFA’s. They would take something than risk him walking. Now that said, I don’t think we have the assets to obtain his services. Anything we have that Columbus would want we need for ourself. Not good trade partners. Now aside from the reasons I mentioned above, you are still overvaluing Panarin. I get it; every fan overvalues their own players.

Kial Bonetti

Jul 1, 2018
Meier is a 1st line winger right now.

I would offer Meier+Tierney+Joshua Norris+2020 1st for Panarin if he were willing to sign an extension.

He doesn’t know that though. I wouldn’t even offer Meier. The dude is totally gonna have a breakout year and possibly flirt with 40. He had a rough start to his career but he is now poised for great things. I wouldn’t trade both Meier and Lebanc. With how old our main core is we need every young piece. Not worth it for us cause both those two will have great seasons next year.

Kial Bonetti

Jul 1, 2018
Right, and I was sort of being a dick there, and I apologize. I love Meier and so I have to defend him whenever I can.

Personally, I think Meier is better than Evander Kane right now, and everybody thinks Kane is a 1st liner. I don’t think Meier is a 1st line playmaker (F2) or goal scorer (F3) but I do think he is a 1st line forechecker (F1), if that makes sense.

For the Sharks, right now, my lines would be:

Hertl-Couture-Donskoi
Meier-Thornton-Pavelski

Hertl-Couture-Donskoi would be taking defensive matchups and Meier-Thornton-Pavelski would be offensively deployed. Debatable which would be the first line. Problem is I think the coaching staff will play Kane in that spot over Meier.

Hell no dude. Meier is a straight up Sniper. I know he has the body for a power forward and plays with a bit of grit in his game but he is a pure goal scorer with that shot he has. I think that was one of Meiers problems last years in that the coaches kept trying to get him to be a player he is not and it took an adjusting period. Meier is an high energy gritty, but he is an offensive player above all.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
You are overvaluing Panarin. Columbus will not get what he is worth, or what you ask of him anyways. GM’s know this and will exploit it just like any high caliber player that gets traded.

2. He hasn’t officially said he wants out, but we all know he does. Like I read on an article; he didn’t come all this way from Russia to play in Ohio. It’s sad, but it’s also true.

Especially after Tavares, GM’s are going to take less risks when it comes to their pending UFA’s. They would take something than risk him walking. Now that said, I don’t think we have the assets to obtain his services. Anything we have that Columbus would want we need for ourself. Not good trade partners. Now aside from the reasons I mentioned above, you are still overvaluing Panarin. I get it; every fan overvalues their own players.

I know your players better than you know mine.

Panarin is, in addition to having better boxcar stats than any Shark (goals, assists, points), is regularly top 1% in the NHL in takeaways, successful zone exits, successful zone entries, high-danger passes. Probably plenty of other categories I don't check on. Losing him for nothing would be devastating. Trading him for Labanc or Meier would be devastating. I want him for this year - hopefully more, but I'd still keep him even if it was only for this year.

I know what happened with JT, but I don't care. I really don't think the Isles would be much less devastated if they traded JT for a couple draft picks and a second liner. And unlike the Isles the Jackets have a chance to put together a cup run - Bodog had the Jackets with better odds than the Sharks prior to the Panarin news.

What article did you read? Its not circulating among Jackets fans who are tracking like every Russian hockey twitter they can find.

Reactions: Viqsi

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
Meier on the other hand had a rough start to his NHL career, but he put it all together and started tearing it up second half of the season. I’m telling you this kid is a future 40+ goal scorer. I think next year he will have 30+, not sure yet about 40.

Man I just don’t see 30 there let alone 40 but hope I am wrong. Hope sharks have a good season ahead. Just kinda concerned they haven’t made a move in FA yet.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

No, you saw this random tweet on Twitter because I saw it too. Wasn’t written in any article by anyone of substance because Panarin has never said anything about not wanting to play in Ohio. But you’re welcome to believe what you want to believe.

Reactions: Viqsi

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Man I just don’t see 30 there let alone 40 but hope I am wrong. Hope sharks have a good season ahead. Just kinda concerned they haven’t made a move in FA yet.

I don’t see 40 goals from Meier either but 30 is definitely possible. In his first 28 games of the season, while being bounced around on the 4th line, he had 3 goals. From that point on, he had 18 goals in 53 games, which is a 28 goal pace. Almost all of his production was 5V5, his underlying shot metrics show that he is a very dangerous shooter, he was a prolific scorer in junior, etc. This was at the age of 21. If you haven’t seen Meier, you won’t understand why Sharks fans are so high on him.

There’s really no point in making a move in FA. Tavares would have been the guy to get but nobody else really fits and Tavares didn’t want to come here. San Jose needs to hang onto their assets, develop a strong group of young players, and move some assets in a push to acquire a franchise superstar. They can wait to use that cap space to make a run at a Seguin/Karlsson/Panarin next year in UFA, or they can trade for one of those players. But right now, a James Neal type acquisition in UFA would not put them over the top and the same goes for a ROR type acquisition in trade. They already have plenty of good players and a few more on their way in the prospect pool but they need some seriously great players if they want to contend. They’ll probably be a bubble team next year and maybe make the WCF just because of how weak the Pacific Division is but they’re not a contending team at this stage and a non-superstar player can’t change that.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Show how much you know of the Sharks system. Now both players did play on the 3rd line last year at times, just like they both played on the 1st/2nd lines as well. If you knew our system you would know that was only cause we had crazy winger depth. Both Meier and Lebanc have elite offensive skill with top line potential. Lebanc has been trending up ever since we drafted him; just look at his elite prospect page and see each season since drafting him. He’s a late round gem. Meier on the other hand had a rough start to his NHL career, but he put it all together and started tearing it up second half of the season. I’m telling you this kid is a future 40+ goal scorer. I think next year he will have 30+, not sure yet about 40. The point is that both these players are going to have big years next year and they are by no means 3rd line players. Actually if I was DW I wouldn’t pull the trigger on any trade including these two.
Shows how much you know about reading comprehension.

I know the guy's name is Labanc, not Lebanc.

And the post I was repsonding to, if you actually bothered to read it without the spittle flying out of your mouth, was putting them on the 3rd line of their NEW team, which is what I said.

And I never said a thing about Meier, which you also didn't bother to read.

Tierney and Labanc are 3rd liners. Period.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I feel like if panarin is getting a few teams interested, san jose prob doesn't have the assets to get him.

Reactions: mikeyp24

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
Lebanc is top 6. Last year was his first full year in the league. He has been trending up every since he got drafted. Better and better every year. I actually wouldn’t want to include him in the trade cause I feel he’s going to have a breakout year. He has elite level offensive skills and is young, which is exactly what we need. I actually wouldn’t want to even trade for panarin unless it’s a deal we can make work without having to give up Meier, Lebanc or Balcers. I feel we will improve next year alone by just the improved production of both Meier and Lebanc. They will both have significantly better seasons and I’m expecting Kane to have a better season too.

Nah. I feel Meier is going to have a breakout year; same with Lebanc. Both have Elite offensive skill and I expect both of them to break out next year. I feel Meier might hit 40 and Lebanc has been trending up ever since we drafted him. We will be a better team next year just off the improved seasons these two will have. Plus we also have Balcers in the pipeline and Suomela. I would also test Sorensen in a top 6 role. He was lights out in the playoffs.
Sorensen wont be sniffing a top 6 role anytime soon. Hes earned to start the season on the 4th line. Excited to see him full time now, his playoffs peaked my interests.
LeBanc and Miere should both improve on their #s, but Miere has a higher ceiling imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad