Player Discussion Artem Anisimov (C)

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
The worst thing isn’t the angry fans, it’s when the anger turns to apathy, and those fans drift away to other teams or sports.
Look at last year's attendance. Apathy HAS already set in with a lot of people. This year's attendance will further prove this. Sign Chabot to an extension today and the apathy partially disappears. Wont happen, but that alone would go a long way in improving interest in the team.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Karlsson was not 100%, Johhny Oduya was his D partner, the team lost Methot & MacArthur, Anderson was terrible, Cody Ceci played more than any other dman, Tom Pyatt played more than Mike Hoffman, Guy Boucher was the coach....should I go on?

The team was horribly coached and terribly mismanaged a year after almost getting to the Stanley Cup Finals. Blaming the core players is wrong.

Ok, so let's travel back in time, to January 2018. You're the GM. You're also mandated by your boss to keep salaries slightly above the cap floor. What moves do you do?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I told you all long time ago everyone will be gone that was in that room. This guy was waived to send a message, obviously he did something they thought was seriously wrong. There is zero reason to act like this move was anything other than getting rid of Smith.
Its no different that every trade no matter what some posters blame 'money'
I guess if Melnyk wasn't so cheap we could have traded him for Mathews .

like? This is at least the 2nd time you spewed this out. What do you have to back it up. Its not obvious to me. What is obvious to me is that Dorion has very little idea of what he is doing. It is even more plausible that they tried to get a taker on his contract . Trying to use the system to shed $. The negative reaction he received from players and the coach should tell you something as well.

Reactions: Cosmix and Deku

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Karlsson was not 100%, Johhny Oduya was his D partner, the team lost Methot & MacArthur, Anderson was terrible, Cody Ceci played more than any other dman, Tom Pyatt played more than Mike Hoffman, Guy Boucher was the coach....should I go on?

The team was horribly coached and terribly mismanaged a year after almost getting to the Stanley Cup Finals. Blaming the core players is wrong.

Well, except the same popular opinion at the time was that we were super lucky to get that far, and that we were not an ECF caliber team.

The core had its lightening in a bottle, had an awesome run, and then fell off a cliff the next year. If losing Methot and upgrading Turris was enough to shake the team to the core, then it’s a core that deserved to be nuked in my opinion.

MacT didn’t play last season and was not a factor until the playoffs, besides being a cheer leader. Him not playing the following season did cause the team to plummet either. The good news is that his awesome off ice effect on the team is back in the menu for the kids, now that he’s back in the fold.

Goaltending was terrible, Andy spoke about the lockeroom drama as being an issue, one that drove him to allegedly suggest a trade away from the team.

Edit: a shoot, sorry variable, I just saw the warning. No more locker talk from me.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I don’t think we would have the cash to be paying 20 million a year to Stone and EK as they become “aging core” players, while BT and TC require their own 8-10 million a year.

This team has to develop a core, go ‘all in’ with it, and then eventually dump it if it can’t get the job done. Long term deals should go to a player’s entire prime years, not buy their last year’s of prime, and entire NHL decline.

We can’t afford that kind of deal.

This is an entirely reasonable take given the team's (EM's) limitations.

Kind of makes the whole dog and pony show about re-signing our guys even sillier in hindsight mind you. If this was the open and honest approach the organization took to the rebuild I'd be disappointed, but a heck of a lot more understanding than I am currently.

I think finances will be a factor (regardless of age) until I'm proven otherwise, but I definitely hope you're right.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
You are right that the Sens can't afford it. Chicago is ripe for a quick turnaround, and what I described is exactly what they are doing.

Well they are a cap team. It’s interesting looking at them because they are the model team for having to trade away really good young talent because they are stuck with a few guys from their “aging core” on bloated contracts.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Ok, so let's travel back in time, to January 2018. You're the GM. What moves do you do?

I have no idea what deals were out there, but Cody Ceci definitely had "better than Zaitsev" value at that point.
Losing Mark Methot wouldn't have been as big of an issue if the team would have invested some money into finding a adequate partner for Erik Karlsson.
I would have ensured EK was 100% healthy before throwing him to the wolves.
The Burrows extension would not have happened.
The Nate Thompson contract would not have happened.
Condon extension was unnecessary.
Boucher would have been canned by January of that year.
Gabriel Dumont???

I am sure there are more. Anyone else?

Reactions: Cosmix

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Well they are a cap team. It’s interesting looking at them because they are the model team for having to trade away really good young talent because they are stuck with a few guys from their “aging core” on bloated contracts.

What do you consider "really good young talent"? Panarin-level players, or Leddy-level players?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Kind of makes the whole dog and pony show about re-signing our guys even sillier in hindsight mind you. If this was the open and honest approach the organization took to the rebuild I'd be disappointed, but a heck of a lot more understanding than I am currently.
This is really all that they need to do.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Only thing that really pissed me off about Smith is all the unnecessary penalties he took, especially the unsportsmanlike penalties. They ended up being double minors and completely took the team out of the game a few times.

Smith has his limitations and is overpaid but he is not as bad as a lot of fans made him out to be. I think there are a lot of teams that would like him in their bottom 6, they just don't like his contract.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
IMO money will continue to be a stumbling block and we will continue to have difficulty hanging on to star players . The hope here is that we can have a good depth of middle of the road guys that out compete teams and have better depth.

I agree, the status quo doesn’t exactly inspire hope for money to appear.

EM promised FYOUS to his sponsors and business partners. If he is lying then they will hopefully hold him accountable in a manner that fans cannot (serious money), and if he does keep to his word then we will have money for this core.

Either way it’s a win for us.

I personally think we need a new owner, I new revenue sharing structure, and be back on track with a DT arena to restabalize this franchise.

A pro POHO would be massive as well.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I mean it was just last year that a couple of our more prominent media guys were talking about what they had witnessed in the room in regards to EK.
Funny that these "prominent media guys" kept the "EK don't practice" story a secret right until the day before Karlsson returned. You would think that it would have leaked much earlier if it was true.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
What do you consider "really good young talent"? Panarin-level players, or Leddy-level players?

Both really, different levels of course, but they have been in a spot right now where they have to trade young players away because of guys like Seabrook, and that Toews deal.

You know, it’s not that different than us really, except we have a low internal cap to play under, and they have the salary cap.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Only thing that really pissed me off about Smith is all the unnecessary penalties he took, especially the unsportsmanlike penalties. They ended up being double minors and completely took the team out of the game a few times.

Smith has his limitations and is overpaid but he is not as bad as a lot of fans made him out to be. I think there are a lot of teams that would like him in their bottom 6, they just don't like his contract.

I just wanted him to be the disturber he used to be, be in all of the scrums that happen when he’s in the ice, and stand up for the kids.

He stopped doing any of that once his new deal was signed.

I also don’t really have anything against Smith, he just stopped playing the way I always loved.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
like? This is at least the 2nd time you spewed this out. What do you have to back it up. Its not obvious to me. What is obvious to me is that Dorion has very little idea of what he is doing. It is even more plausible that they tried to get a taker on his contract . Trying to use the system to shed $. The negative reaction he received from players and the coach should tell you something as well.

They placed him on waivers and make a public statement saying he was being sent a message. I am not sure how you can mix that up for anything else.
That happened. Your made up story did not.
If you need more to back up what actually went down... other than it happening , well what can anyone ever say

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Funny that these "prominent media guys" kept the "EK don't practice" story a secret right until the day before Karlsson returned. You would think that it would have leaked much earlier if it was true.

Not really. It makes a lot of sense that they wouldn’t want to leak damaging stuff about a player and team that they currently cover.

Most of the juicy stuff that comes out around the league gets out after the team and player have moved on.

Anyways, I personally don’t look for reasons to discount something that has so much corroboration from so many sources. By so many accounts it looks and smells and sounds like a duck, with the only argument against being that ‘everyone is lying for reasons’.

Anyways Bath, let’s let this locker room stuff drop in this thread, it’s all good :)

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
They placed him on waivers and make a public statement saying he was being sent a message. I am not sure how you can mix that up for anything else.
If you need more to back up what actually went down... other than it happening , well what can anyone ever say
From Boro, noted fav or Dorion/Melnyk, regarding the waiving of Smith:

“That was a roster move, a contractual issue and a contractual move that has nothing to do with how he’s viewed by his teammates. Now, it’s our job to pick him up and make sure we’re there for him.”

Mark Stone:
“He’s been here ever since I stepped foot in this organization and he’s done a lot for me ever since I stepped in,” star winger Mark Stone said. “He was one of the leaders for us at development camp when I was 18. He took me in my first call-up. He’s always been the first guy to invite me over for dinner, so it’s always tough to lose friends but at the same time there’s opportunity that he could still be with us.”

Guy Boucher:
“That’s more of a question for Pierre [Dorion] to be honest with you,” Boucher said. “The players have been honest. It’s a tough day for the players. He’s a good person that we all feel for that’s given a lot to the team and still does, and until further notice his name’s on my board. That’s the way I’m approaching it.”

Didn't Smith proceed to play on the top line the very next day?

Had to teach that guy a lesson though.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

He could simply have been "sent a message" about not playing up to the price of his contract. More than likely it was a lame attempt to try and shed salary before the season started. You're acting like the story lines up perfectly with your made up narrative, when in reality that only one of many options on the table. There's no actual proof behind your theory.

Also seems silly to keep him around all summer and call him a "core veteran" to the media if he was as responsible for issues as you claim.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Off-topic discussion = locker room, FYOUS, etc. (not relating to Smith)

Last warning before the infractions are handed out.

Thank you for understanding!

:)

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
After spending a year in the top six... good way to send a message lmao

Ya trying to make him look like a NHL player so someone else might get him off our roster. In the end he was still worthless other than someone trying to save cap
Couldn't give him away.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Ya trying to make him look like a NHL player so someone else might get him off our roster. In the end he was still worthless other than someone trying to save cap
Couldn't give him away.

Hell of a message it sends to the rookies... rewarding a disturbance with so much ice time

Thats a good way to show the room.what you want from a pro

I hope you understand how absolutely ridiculous your view sounds

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
There's 2 posters who are frequently bringing this up. No one else even cares. The narrative committee is out in full force.

Lol, everything is a narrative in here.

It would be so much more enjoyable to have these debates in person, where we would all have to flesh out our thoughts instead of these kinds of one off disses that we all float out into the wild web.

It’s the one downside of being an out of town fan, not a lot of in-person debates to soothe the soul :)

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I just love how on the surface it seems purely like a solid hockey deal for us, and for the most part it is, I guess.

But then you look a little deeper and it's literally just another "Eugene Moneyball" acquisition consisting of high cap hit/low salary.

Can we please be freed from this hell?
Chicago also had financial reasons/pressure to do this deal. If you can get a better player plus save money, that is usually something to be commended.

Reactions: innocent bystander

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad