Arsenal FC Thread

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Take what you can get. Better lineups and two wins. If that continues, the team should eventually start to play better.

Two 1-0 wins against bottom half teams isn't really anything to write home about. Especially considering that the goals we scored were (1) a fluke rebound after we hit the post on a clear cut chance and (2) a free kick goal. Our defense and midfield has looked better in recent weeks (Gabriel and Partey getting healthy being the main reasons for that), but we aren't creating enough nor finishing the chances that we do create from open play. Not all of that is on Arteta, but he hasn't helped that cause.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Two 1-0 wins against bottom half teams isn't really anything to write home about. Especially considering that the goals we scored were (1) a fluke rebound after we hit the post on a clear cut chance and (2) a free kick goal. Our defense and midfield has looked better in recent weeks (Gabriel and Partey getting healthy being the main reasons for that), but we aren't creating enough nor finishing the chances that we do create from open play. Not all of that is on Arteta, but he hasn't helped that cause.
Scoring a rebound off the post after a clear cut chance doesn't really scream fluke to me.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Scoring a rebound off the post after a clear cut chance doesn't really scream fluke to me.

It's pretty evident of our ability to finish chances lately though. That is when we can actually create them from open play.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don’t think anybody should be defending Arsenal’s tactics going forward. It’s obviously over coached, lacks fluidity, and lacks potency. It is definitely a worry which has the potential to lose us a lot of games this season and it won’t change until Artekkers is gone.

However, there have been good aspects such as the defensive line and some individual players in form such as Tomi, Partey, Lokonga, Gabriel, and Ramsdale. I’ll take it, but a lot of this rests solely on how the team performs against their most hated team this weekend. Ill give a lot of praise if we’re able to get back to .500%.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I personally love to see it. Would make me so happy to see Jack coach at the club in some capacity.

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
If life was fair he should be our captain and keyplayer by now… But his body had different ideas.

Reactions: AB13

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
So Aubameyang made it back in time for training, showed up to Colney, got confused about the current COVID protocols after taking a test in France just before going (understandable), was sent home and then Arteta decided to make it a problem and make it public through interviews and the media? His comments at the weekend were horrible. Made it sound like Auba had made massive unforgivable errors when he was just trying to visit his mother.

Last edited:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
And now Aubameyang is being stripped of captaincy. A totally unreasonable reaction to a man visiting his sick mother and being confused about COVID protocols. Honestly, Mikel is an awful person. Did he throw him to the wolves because he was angry about his recent form? He knew the fan base was angry and he decided to stoke it. Why? To make him look like a strong disciplinarian? It’s a total violation. Auba’s getting abuse up and down and Arteta deliberately added to it when he could’ve quite easily shut down the speculation. He’s a f***ing asshole. A man's mother is ill. Double edged sword as well because why the hell would a a star Aubameyang want to play for such a man.

Arteta basically did the same thing with Özil. He will attempt to ruin the reputation of any player he chooses, even our best ones, because he is trying to create some positive PR of himself, wanting to look like a disciplinary leader. It also reminds me of when he hung Pepe out to dry after he got sent off against Leeds. Pepe had the entire Arteta supporter cult going after him. I do not only dislike Arteta the manager anymore, I hate him as a human being.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
So Aubameyang made it back in time for training, showed up to Colney, didn't know about the current COVID rules which is understandable, was sent home and then Arteta decided to make it a problem and make it public through interviews and the media? His comments at the weekend were horrible. Made it sound like Auba had made massive unforgivable errors when he was just trying to visit his mother.

This feels like a guy trying too hard. Just like the last time Arteta went on a power trip.

Reactions: AB13

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I’m not sure there is a huge underperformance in terms of results, this season. Most realistic prognostications had them around 5th-7th with a good season. I think if his boss is told he will have finish 5th, there would be no reason to distract from anything, because based on realistic expectations, they’re in and around where they should be.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I’m not sure there is a huge underperformance in terms of results, this season. Most realistic prognostications had them around 5th-7th with a good season. I think if his boss is told he will have finish 5th, there would be no reason to distract from anything, because based on realistic expectations, they’re in and around where they should be.
The only reason 5th isn’t considered a massive underperformance is because of Arteta massive underperforming in the previous two seasons and lowering the standards of what is considered acceptable. Back to back 8th place with the 6th most expensive squad on the globe is undeniably a huge underperformance and not getting top 4 this season makes finishing outside of Europe last season even more inexcusable. These were the initial expectations on Arteta.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I'm not sure we know the context of the entire situation. What I can say is that Aubameyang is hardly a saint. He had plenty of disciplinary issues at Dortmund. Very odd that he was made captain in the first place.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Dude, the guy who tweeted that is like 20 years old. Lol. What could he possibly understand, about anything, let alone football. I think the young man’s expectations, based on squad talent were just a little high. Not very many respected pundits had them in the top 4, or it’s a failure. Mist realistic and grounded expectations had then in an around where they are.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Dude, the guy who tweeted that is like 20 years old. Lol. What could he possibly understand, about anything, let alone football. I think the young man’s expectations, based on squad talent were just a little high. Not very many respected pundits had them in the top 4, or it’s a failure. Mist realistic and grounded expectations had then in an around where they are.
Before the 2019/20 season, I can not find one article that did not have Arsenal in the top 4. The squad was undeniably miles ahead of United starting Pereira, McFred, Lingard every game and Lampards young transfer banned Chelsea side. Remember, Arsenal just signed Pepe with 33 g/a in Ligue 1 with Lille in 2019 after finishing 5th, one point off 4th and two off 3rd in a season that was considered a huge dissapointment under Unai Emery who is one of Europes very worst domestic managers. I think a good manager possibly wins the league with Arsenal in the last few years. Auba, Pepe, Laca, Partey, Gabriel, Tierney. An elite experienced core with great young talent.

And that guy is simply quoting David Ornstein.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'm not sure we know the context of the entire situation. What I can say is that Aubameyang is hardly a saint. He had plenty of disciplinary issues at Dortmund. Very odd that he was made captain in the first place.
Doesn't change that the reaction is wayyyyy over the top. Just like in the other two cases.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Doesn't change that the reaction is wayyyyy over the top. Just like in the other two cases.
The Özil situation is another exemple of Arteta trying to show how good of a disciplinarian for no reason. And when Lucas Torreira's mother died and he wanted to go back to South America, Arteta was more interested in saying it's not his decision to make.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

To me it seemed like Arteta hinted this wasn't the first time he had an issue with Aubameyang's behavior. And obviously as a captain you are expected to act in a certain way.

Arteta is going to have a press conference now. Might clear things up.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I take Auba's side in all of this, but man, not what I expected from him since he signed the 2-year deal.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Maybe Arteta just has an irrational hatred of francophones. :laugh:
Said it too. It's obvious. Most G/A since Arteta joined: Aubameyang (45) Lacazette (37) Pépé (34). That is 69% of the total goals scored in that time, yet all three have been either mismanaged, benched or forced to stay when it would’ve been in their best interests to leave, as a result of Arteta’s ego. The Saliba treatment is obviously the best example though.

Pep also dislikes Francophones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad