Confirmed with Link: Arsen Khisamutdinov Signed to a 2-Year ELC

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I don't think I would say excellent potential but I guess it depends on your definition of excellent. I think he has good potential for sure, maybe higher but I haven't seen enough of him to really say. I did get to see several VHL games and saw why the Habs drafted him but in the KHL he didn't do much in the games I saw which wasn't shocking since he didn't play much.

I look at another Hab draft pick that played on the 4th line in the KHL this year. Scherbak played only 31 games after breaking his arm (man is he cursed with the injury bug) but put up 11 pts and that was spending half the games on one of the worst teams in the KHL, a team that scored 30 less goals then Khisamutdinov's. Granted Scherbak is 2 years older.

I think we would be very lucky if he turned into what Grabo was for our AHL team, let alone the NHL but we'll see what next year brings as it will be much clearer and I'll get to see a ton of him.

The funny part about how things played out in the KHL for some of the current/former Hab draft picks, so Neftekhimik moves on from Avtsin and then calls up Khisamutdinov, Scherbak gets injured and his team Traktor adds Avtsin. I assumg Avtsin was on the 4th line with Traktor as that's where he was with Neftekhimik I believe. Here's how their seasons went,

Avtsin - 41-6-11-17 67 pims -4
Scherbak - 31-3-8-11 22 pims +2
Khisamutdinov - 31-1-2-3 14 pims -4

To me, ''excellent potential'' means any prospect who could reasonably be earmarked to be able to play on a middle-6 and be a quality player there if everything goes well for them. Anything over that is what I call ''great potential'', and unless those prospects are selected in the very top of the draft, hence having very little perceived flaws, or are underscouted, which happens a lot, that added potential almost always comes with a greater bust factor to balance it all out.

There's only five outcomes possible when you draft after the first-round. It can be that the player you've selected has ''excellent'' potential and a reasonable chance to reach it (Lehkonen). He can be a ''safer'' prospect that you know has a very good chance of being a pro but lesser upside (De La Rose). Maybe you want to take a chance and opt for a ''swing-for-the-fences'' pick with a very high chance of busting but incredible upside if you win the gamble (Ikonen). The best outcome possible for your team is when you know something about a prospect that others don't, and ultimately nab a player with both ''great'' potential and a fairly low bust chance (Romanov), but those don't happen often. The worst kind of pick you can make is a ''call-out to the homeboy'' pick, where you blow one of your team's chances at a decent prospect out of a senseless desire to please insiders of the organization, nepotism with draft picks basically (Ruscheinski).

As a whole, I think that those prospects with ''excellent'' upside are more common than we think too, it's just that their chances to develop 100% of their abilities to conform to their latent potential is extremely low and that the process is non-linear and innately difficult. That factor of uncertainty remains a big reason why the draft is such a crapshoot after the first few top guys, and also why you can see guys like Giordano, Hasek, and Rafalski all take forever to really hit their stride but surprise people as they became elite players.

I have seen Khisamutdinov play a bit in the VHL this year as you did, and what he's done as a 21 year-old there is nothing short of pretty good. I was personally heartened by what I saw of him there because he played with poise, competed hard, made some pretty savvy plays, and exhibited a pretty strong overall skating ability, the sum of which makes me believe he could be a second-line player in the NHL if he develops completely. The tools and toolset are pretty good.

There's also the fact that he won a hearty dose of my respect for how he kept doing his thing, seemed in good spirits and ready to do his job as best he could even when his coach used him very little in KHL games. That speaks to me of character and dedication, important qualities to have in a young player.

In the end there's no pressure on Arsen, he's a fifth-round pick that, although good, hasn't really set the world on fire or anything yet. He just needs to be afforded time and opportunity to show what he can do, improve himself as a player to the point that the NHL is not a feverish dream anymore, that he begins to be featured on our 23-man roster, or fail and eventually be cast-out of the team as many others before him.

As fans, I believe we should maintain a casual approach to his and every late-round picks' (save those that show great things like Primeau) progression, being optimistic about the good and not overly critical of the bad (unless things degenerate ala Lefevbre).

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
To me, ''excellent potential'' means any prospect who could reasonably be earmarked to be able to play on a middle-6 and be a quality player there if everything goes well for them. Anything over that is what I call ''great potential'', and unless those prospects are selected in the very top of the draft, hence having very little perceived flaws, or are underscouted, which happens a lot, that added potential almost always comes with a greater bust factor to balance it all out.

There's only five outcomes possible when you draft after the first-round. It can be that the player you've selected has ''excellent'' potential and a reasonable chance to reach it (Lehkonen). He can be a ''safer'' prospect that you know has a very good chance of being a pro but lesser upside (De La Rose). Maybe you want to take a chance and opt for a ''swing-for-the-fences'' pick with a very high chance of busting but incredible upside if you win the gamble (Ikonen). The best outcome possible for your team is when you know something about a prospect that others don't, and ultimately nab a player with both ''great'' potential and a fairly low bust chance (Romanov), but those don't happen often. The worst kind of pick you can make is a ''call-out to the homeboy'' pick, where you blow one of your team's chances at a decent prospect out of a senseless desire to please insiders of the organization, nepotism with draft picks basically (Ruscheinski).

As a whole, I think that those prospects with ''excellent'' upside are more common than we think too, it's just that their chances to develop 100% of their abilities to conform to their latent potential is extremely low and that the process is non-linear and innately difficult. That factor of uncertainty remains a big reason why the draft is such a crapshoot after the first few top guys, and also why you can see guys like Giordano, Hasek, and Rafalski all take forever to really hit their stride but surprise people as they became elite players.

I have seen Khisamutdinov play a bit in the VHL this year as you did, and what he's done as a 21 year-old there is nothing short of pretty good. I was personally heartened by what I saw of him there because he played with poise, competed hard, made some pretty savvy plays, and exhibited a pretty strong overall skating ability, the sum of which makes me believe he could be a second-line player in the NHL if he develops completely. The tools and toolset are pretty good.

There's also the fact that he won a hearty dose of my respect for how he kept doing his thing, seemed in good spirits and ready to do his job as best he could even when his coach used him very little in KHL games. That speaks to me of character and dedication, important qualities to have in a young player.

In the end there's no pressure on Arsen, he's a fifth-round pick that, although good, hasn't really set the world on fire or anything yet. He just needs to be afforded time and opportunity to show what he can do, improve himself as a player to the point that the NHL is not a feverish dream anymore, that he begins to be featured on our 23-man roster, or fail and eventually be cast-out of the team as many others before him.

As fans, I believe we should maintain a casual approach to his and every late-round picks' (save those that show great things like Primeau) progression, being optimistic about the good and not overly critical of the bad (unless things degenerate ala Lefevbre).

he was a 6th round pick but I get your point. I think the problem with saying that he has excellent potential is that fans will get more hyped on him then they should and then dump on him and Timmins if/when he doesn't pan out. To each their own, I just like to stay away from words like excellent outside of the rare ones that I feel truly should have it but I get your point now that you explained it.

It will be interesting to see what he does in Laval, I'm not expecting much but hopefully he can surprise.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
he was a 6th round pick but I get your point. I think the problem with saying that he has excellent potential is that fans will get more hyped on him then they should and then dump on him and Timmins if/when he doesn't pan out. To each their own, I just like to stay away from words like excellent outside of the rare ones that I feel truly should have it but I get your point now that you explained it.

It will be interesting to see what he does in Laval, I'm not expecting much but hopefully he can surprise.

Chances are he's the next Avtsin or Maxim Trunev. But still looking forward to seeing him in the A, if only just for the mystery.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Chances are he's the next Avtsin or Maxim Trunev. But still looking forward to seeing him in the A, if only just for the mystery.

Trunev is an interesting one because he was set to come over to the CHL and had an agreement with a team. However, another team ahead of them in the import draft took him without an agreement. Trunev never came over.

Wonder if anything would have changed if he came to NA.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
TsAVod0.gif

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Do we know what jersey number he'll be wearing with Laval?

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
alors khisatmudinov prend la rondelle, passe a kovalev.... le tir et le buuuuuuuuuut (pierre houde)

quel jeu de arsennnnn Khisattttmudinooooov

i dont think its that bad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad