Waived: Arron Asham and Martin Biron (10/20: Biron announces his retirement on Twitter)

Punxrocknyc19*

The Pack is looking like a pretty tough bunch right now :laugh:

i bet they can beat up some of the players on the Rangers roster if they fought each other... how does the Wolfpack have more grit and toughness than the parent Rangers which have 0 besides bonehead Dorsett :sarcasm:

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Biron's going to retire, Asham will get traded to some team that wants an undersized fighter for a mid to low level prospect or a pick, or finish out the year and retire himself.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
i bet they can beat up some of the players on the Rangers roster if they fought each other... how does the Wolfpack have more grit and toughness than the parent Rangers which have 0 besides bonehead Dorsett :sarcasm:

Those Canuck teams that VEENYO took to the Finals and a few President trophies didn't have very much grit or toughness. It's not necessary to have grit/toughness even though it does help in certain situations.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Kreider should be up.

Miller seems definite in terms of remaining in the team's future. Bringing up Kreider does several things.

1) Nash and Asham are the ones that are sent down. Two wingers. Miller, while he can play wing, is better off learning to be a center. Kreider is a wing.

2) Kreider being called up lets us see if he's gained some confidence back. He was slotted to be with the team from the get go. You want to see maturity and growth. What better time to let him loose and see if he's cut out for this team than when we're in a 1-4 hole?

3) Kreider isn't guaranteed to be a part of this team's future. You need to showcase him at the very worst case scenario. If he has no spot on the team and management knows this they'd be better off showcasing him than developing him. Maybe they can do a Zibinedjad/Kreider swap? Maybe something else evolves. Point is you can't shut that possibility out just cause you favor one prospect over the other.

4) You can't just call Miller up any time a forward spot is available. Develop him at a certain position. Wing is a need right now. Miller should be a C. Call up a damn wing. People don't get this concept. He's developing, do they really want to screw with that development?

Agree w/most of this.
At some point way down the road, after CK is established as a scoring W, it would be interesting to see if they can do a Patrick Sharp with him, since he'd come up as a C.

But clearly he is a W, and Miller is the only F with enough speed who also plays C. Kreider + Miller as a tandem, and not this stupidity of forcing CK particularly to play w/Boyle/Pyatt, is the ticket that fits AV's system to a T. Just add Fast/Cally for RW, and give min. 2nd line minutes.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Look around the league, there are kids playing all over the place. This notion we need to wait x amount of games, is ideal, yet irrelevant. Miller gives them better chance to win so miller gets called up. If we can overlook putrid play of vets why can't we get behind these kids. Kreider-miller-fast intrigues me. We need new blood.

Thanks for seconding my nomination.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I mentioned that Kreider should be up over Miller. My guess is that AV liked what he saw from Miller in pre-season. AV has no history with Kreider. All he saw was a player that, for the most part, was a no show in pre-season, when a spot was there for the taking.

What I don't like from AV, is that he had Miller on the 4th line and not at center.

The onus is on AV, like everyone to be honest. And correct accordingly.

What did AV have Kreider do in preseason.

Play some shifts, mostly normal game, w/Miller + assorted RWs. Miller at C + CK at W looked synergisticaly terif together (cause they both have legit speed).

He also had CK play some minutes with Boyle/Pyatt which was exercise in stupidity as being a mismatch.

He also directed CK to specifically get time screening opposing Gs and working for a tip in. There is nothing wrong with deflections or any other kind of specialty drills. However, when it is a new situation w/new system checking out unfamiliar players fitting into same, arguably forcing Kreider to put so much time just into that was not necessarily the smartest move.

Kreider did as he was told. He still has his speed, shot and size, he will be fine if given min 2nd line minutes at LW with Miller in the middle AND Callahan/Fast as RW.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Does Marty want to terminate his contract so he can make his own deal for less money? Have the Rangers given Marty permission to speak to other teams?

Retire?

Play in the AHL?

Those are his options.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Martin Biron was en route home to Buffalo when we caught up on the phone Tuesday afternoon. The trek had already allowed him to do some self-analysis and certainly some decompressing.

"I’m going to take a couple of days to think about things before I make a decision," Biron told ESPN.com. "I want to take some time to think about it all, talk to family and friends, and think about my next step."

Biron, who cleared NHL waivers Tuesday before being assigned to the AHL by the Rangers, has two options: report to Hartford (AHL) and see how things go from there or retire.

At this point, playing in Europe isn’t an option.

"No, those are the two options only," Biron said. "But I want to think this through. The last 48 hours have been pretty charged, I want to let the dust settle and the make an informed decision."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/27163/rumblings-birons-decision-oilers-options

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
No insider stuff here, but I could see us signing both Prospal and Bryz for cheap, dumping Pyatt (for Tootoo??) and eventually bringing up one of Haley or Mashinter. Talbot and Miller might be temporary callups first

Posted this before the Bryz to NYR rumors started. See now that it has legs. Which one of you guys is Dark Sather reading this crazy stuff BTW?

Biron retires
Bryz signs for a year at a bit lower cap hit

Prospal signs with a bonus laden 1 year contract

We get a 4th for Pyatt. Or Tootoo maybe?? He could provide The Avery effect I would think. That we sorely need. An Eskimo in New York... (I know it´s an Inuit these days but it sounded better - no offense)

Still looking for that RD that can work on the PP
Deadline deal??

This could all go down actually.
Though first of all we need to play some good hockey and win some games before the deadline can be even in question. The other Metro teams are really handing us the baton. Time to run with it!!!

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
I just don't get the Prospal love. He has skill and was a nice player for us, but he is washed up now and there's a reason why he's still a UFA. Just give the kids a chance.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Word is that Marty Biron has jobs waiting in both English and French media should he choose to call it a career.

https://twitter.com/simmonssteve/status/390303269601693696

Take the TV job. Marty can talk. He will have an excellent TV career. French. English. RDS. TSN. I read he has done some TV work in Quebec in the past. It beats riding the bus to Manchester,New Hampshire on a Friday night after having playing in Hartford.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Marty would be a fantastic TV personality. Very articulate and has a great sense of humor. Hate to see his career potentially end like this, but it is what it is.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Marty would be a fantastic TV personality. Very articulate and has a great sense of humor. Hate to see his career potentially end like this, but it is what it is.

If I were him, I would take the year off, and then get into TV commentary. The guy is gold in front of a camera.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I just don't get the Prospal love. He has skill and was a nice player for us, but he is washed up now and there's a reason why he's still a UFA. Just give the kids a chance.

Well first of all he led The Blue Jackets in scoring last year with a PPG score of 0,625, or 51 points in an 82 game year. Considerably ahead of household names like Gaborik, Anisimov, Brassard and Dubinsky.
On the Rangers he would have wound up around 4th/5th in scoring with those points.
Second he is pretty decent on the PP. Nuff said there, no?
Third, have you seen where the Rangers are now in scoring? How about this here?
We need offense. From wherever we can get it...

So what is there NOT to "get" - if he can come in for cheap and contribute?
Kids are not quite ready. No need to rush them... We have seen before where that leadeth.
If the slide continues - team will likely be blown up anyways. Signing him for cheap now & he could easily get us an asset at the deadline for nothing but money if that is the case. Win/win
Easy decision.

Last edited:

BarbaraAlphanse

Wouldnt it be more likely those 2 replace Pouliot/Zuccarello rather than your hated nemesis like Boyle and Pyatt?

Or are we continuing to throw individual roles and responsibilities out the window?

Oh no. I love Boyle. Want him on the 4th line.

Love Zucc. Want him on the 3rd line.

Frustrated beyond belief with Pouloit. As every other team he's been on has been. So much skill, never puts it together.

Knew what to expect from Pyatt. He doesn't do much of anything.

Want Pyatt and Pouloit gone. Boyle shifted to 4th line with Moore and Dorsett.

Miller and Kreider with Callahan. Hags with Stepan and Nash. Richards with Zucc and Brassard.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Oh no. I love Boyle. Want him on the 4th line.

Love Zucc. Want him on the 3rd line.

Frustrated beyond belief with Pouloit. As every other team he's been on has been. So much skill, never puts it together.

Knew what to expect from Pyatt. He doesn't do much of anything.

Want Pyatt and Pouloit gone. Boyle shifted to 4th line with Moore and Dorsett.

Miller and Kreider with Callahan. Hags with Stepan and Nash. Richards with Zucc and Brassard.

Fair enough. I wouldn't be too adverse to that.

I do think its short-sighted, at this point, to bring up 2 kids that have had trouble on the defensive side of the puck and add them to a team devoid of any defense.

From a roster spot, its stuck between a rock and a hard place. Guys like Pyatt stink, and guys like Miller and Kreider could use seasoning. Any choice is a mistake. What a nice position for AV. Welcome to NY.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad