Online Series: Arrested Development Season 5 has DROPPED!

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
started season 4.. Did Portia get old or what since season 3?

I barely recognize her.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think that's a bad idea, but we'll see, I guess. I do not want to see Kristen Wiig and Seth Rogen get bigger roles, and honestly, the perfection of that original cast is arguably the biggest reason why Arrested Development works. If they go through with the idea, I hope they go with less recognizable actors. I read a comment that suggested that they should just have short, six episode seasons without cast/scheduling compromises and call it a day, and I tend to agree.

If the original cast can't be regulars, there's a part of me that wants it as an animated show instead. It would instantly fix all the aging/cosmetic problems.

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
I think that's a bad idea, but we'll see, I guess. I do not want to see Kristen Wiig and Seth Rogen get bigger roles, and honestly, the perfection of that original cast is arguably the biggest reason why Arrested Development works. If they go through with the idea, I hope they go with less recognizable actors. I read a comment that suggested that they should just have short, six episode seasons without cast/scheduling compromises and call it a day, and I tend to agree.

If the original cast can't be regulars, there's a part of me that wants it as an animated show instead. It would instantly fix all the aging/cosmetic problems.

I hope they don't flash all the way back. Maybe just a few years before the original series started. Everyone has aged quite well except for Lindsay. Heck, even Michael Cera still looks like he's in junior high.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

I guess that sounds like what they're trying to do, x amount of time with the original cast interacting together and the rest fleshed out in flashbacks with other actors.

Could work but yeah, the Wiig/Rogen stuff was exactly what didn't work for me in S4, so I'm not totally sold.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Just finished. I loved it.

Yea, I prefer the original format, but this was better than nothing.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
About a month ago I restarted watching this one from S1E1. CRUISED through the first 3 seasons.

Only finished E5 of S4 so far, but man these first 5 episodes have been rough to get through.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
How has no one posted this .GIF yet?

WxmqTCp.gif

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
What do they mean by remix? I still have never watched season 4.

Should I watch the original 4th season first?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
What do they mean by remix? I still have never watched season 4.

Should I watch the original 4th season first?

Season 4 in it's original form is presented in an unusual way. All 14 episodes take place over roughly the same time period, but each one shows the events from just one characters point of view. So in an episode about George-Michael, GOB might show up for a second do something weird then disappear and you won't find out why he did what he did until his episode 3 episodes later during his episode. I think it worked pretty damn well and really fits with the screwballness of AD. The reception was mixed to the format.

It sounds like the new cut will present things in the more standard linear manner as we've seen in seasons 1-3 of AD.

I'd recommend watching the season as it was originally intended first since I think some of the jokes will only work in that manner, but it won't make a big difference.

Reactions: Smash88

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Kind of feels like they're not gonna have to do character centric episodes to accommodate everyone's schedule. That, I can get behind.
Yeah, I think I read that prior to them confirming another season, the writers said they didn't want to do it unless/until everyone could be free at the same time, so that's good.

Reactions: td_ice and HanSolo

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Kind of feels like they're not gonna have to do character centric episodes to accommodate everyone's schedule. That, I can get behind.
They actually re-released a remixed version of Season 4 a few days ago that is no longer structured like character centric episodes (22 minute episodes again too), so it sounds like that's confirmed.

Has anybody seen any of the Season 4 Remix yet? Most reviews seem to indicate that it's a clear improvement but cannot save the season from its fundamental flaws.

Reactions: HanSolo

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
They actually re-released a remixed version of Season 4 a few days ago that is no longer structured like character centric episodes (22 minute episodes again too), so it sounds like that's confirmed.

Has anybody seen any of the Season 4 Remix yet? Most reviews seem to indicate that it's a clear improvement but cannot save the season from its fundamental flaws.

Well I thought the character episodes of S4 worked well. It was a really interesting take. I don't think it hit the heights of the first 3 seasons, but still better than most TV.

I started a rewatch of AD to try the new format, but I'm just in early season 3. Will be getting to season 4 new format by later this week.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Well I thought the character episodes of S4 worked well. It was a really interesting take. I don't think it hit the heights of the first 3 seasons, but still better than most TV.

I started a rewatch of AD to try the new format, but I'm just in early season 3. Will be getting to season 4 new format by later this week.
I felt the same way (particularly because some of the episodes ended up going into really dark/twisted places that were pretty great because a heavy dose of that particular character would do that-- Buster and Lucille especially). It might improve things by giving smaller doses of the weaker character-centric episodes, though.

I just remember the early Jeffrey Tambor/Lindsay/Tobias episodes feeling pretty rough. It really picked up steam once it started focusing on Michael, George Michael, Gob, Lucille, Buster, and Maeybe, IMO.

I would still easily take season 4 over many other critically well received shows, like Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, and the later seasons of Silicon Valley and It's Always Sunny, personally.

Last edited:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

It is definitely an improvement. I didn't mind the original S4 format but seeing a more immediate payoff for a lot of the jokes now that the continuity is more streamlined is much more enjoyable. And the fact Ron Howard re-recorded about 90% of the narration means that it still has a fresh feel to it.

S5 has me all types of excited. Can't wait.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

It was a compelling and decent story. But I still think the structure took away from the tone that made the original seasons so entertaining. It felt like a different show with familiar characters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad