Online Series: Arrested Development Season 5 has DROPPED!

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Remix feels like a completely different season. I wonder how it would seem if you watched both versions back to back.

I also just realized that Lucille Bluth is Mallory Archer. How did I never notice this before.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I watched remix episode 1 and I liked it. Felt completely different from the last time I watched season 4.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Remix feels like a completely different season. I wonder how it would seem if you watched both versions back to back.

I also just realized that Lucille Bluth is Mallory Archer. How did I never notice this before.

It does indeed. I just finished the remix, I liked it. Because of the nature of the original there was alot of repetitions of scenes from different angles but it did work pretty well. Maybe I'm just more used to it now but the way the recut was put together I felt the different looks from the characters was less jarring (thinking mostly Michael Cera, Alia Shawkat, and Portia de Rossi). I'm just starting on the rewatch of the original 4th season now. Still a few weeks from Season 5 (May 29th).

As for Jessica Walter, the original casting call on Mallory Archer from the showrunners literally said "Think of the type as Jessica Walter from Arrested Development". It's what sold Walter on the show and after she liked the script they got her as the first one to be cast.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I saw a few episodes of the remix. It definitely goes down easier (and the jokes land more often) and doesn't feel like nearly as much of a slog as the early episodes of the original run, but yeah, the way it iterates back over the same scene over and over again to hit different punchlines feels pretty jarring (no way around that though).

The storytelling has this relentless two steps forward, one step back feel throughout which feels pretty weird, and less conceptually/structurally interesting/sound to me than the original run.

I also dislike that transition effect that they kept using where it simultaneously shows the same shot from two different angles in split screen. I get that they had a lot of repeated footage but it looked goofy to me.

The remix is neat so far, but not a revelation or anything.

Maybe I'm just more used to it now but the way the recut was put together I felt the different looks from the characters was less jarring (thinking mostly Michael Cera, Alia Shawkat, and Portia de Rossi).
I think that's just an eyes adjusting over time thing. The way they address it early on with a joke about how the sea aged him (George Michael) was fun.

Last edited:

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010

Jeffrey Tambor also did the voice of Len Trexler.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Jeffrey Tambor also did the voice of Len Trexler.
Fairly certain Trexler has an Arrested Devlopment quote in there when he calls Barry a "horse's ass" which is something George Bluth says

54ccfc04935fb3120af5a45085956c58.jpg

Feb 24, 2017
I'm glad I read this. I LOVED the first 3 seasons and binged them multiple times over several years. I watched the first 3 episodes of the Netflix series and just gave up on it. Not out of anger or anything, but it just didn't engage me at all and I moved on to other things. Looks like I gave up right before the payoff.
You sound like every woman I manage to drag to bed and then disappoint.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I really enjoyed season five. A little weak overall story wise because it picks up right after season four but still great.

I wonder if they’ll have George Michael finally sleep with Maeby in the second half of season five. They’ve sure been progressing towards it (which is crazy they could keep doing that story for five seasons and still have it be funny).

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Still finishing up 5, but at the moment, I feel like Season 4's story and the clever details within it were stronger, but it was paced/executed in a more awkward/clunky way (that the remix improves but doesn't fix and introduces different problems), whereas Season 5 feels very natural, smooth, and brisk (the way the original series felt), but the material itself is the weakest that the show has ever had. Everything to do with Mexico in the beginning of Season 5 felt really stupid, although I'm sure it probably comes back into play at the end.

TomPlex

Jan 24, 2006
www.dermamode.com
As a raving fan of this series, I just cannot believe my ears. This season is beyond awful. Season 4 was great in comparison! I've laughed maybe four times over the first six episodes.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I watched the first two episodes, but I was half paying attention. I laughed once at the dress like woman awards line.

I want to start over and move on, but I am afraid I will not enjoy it. :(

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
It's AD, you KNOW the pay-off is in the 2nd half of the season......but good GOB does Arnett look weathered. Still great, though.

"Family of the Month. Family of the Year? Family of the motherf***ing Year!"

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018

Tambor, Greer....

Get with it, man

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
......but good GOB does Arnett look weathered.
The thing that struck me regarding this is that the whole "GOB finds Kitty repulsive" gag was already a huge reach back in Season 1. It's a million times weirder and harder to believe now that Will Arnett has let himself go and Judy Greer still looks amazing (probably better than when they tried to dress her down in season 1).

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Still finishing up 5, but at the moment, I feel like Season 4's story and the clever details within it were stronger, but it was paced/executed in a more awkward/clunky way (that the remix improves but doesn't fix and introduces different problems), whereas Season 5 feels very natural, smooth, and brisk (the way the original series felt), but the material itself is the weakest that the show has ever had. Everything to do with Mexico in the beginning of Season 5 felt really stupid, although I'm sure it probably comes back into play at the end.

There have not been many memorable gags from his season. The first 3 seasons had ones that I'll never forgot: Tobias's business card, him blueing himself, bees/beads and no touching. Season 4 still had a few brilliant moments: Tobias getting his rocks off and "a new start".

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I really liked season 5. Never quite reached the heights of Season 1 and 2, but certainly a good show still. My big complaint comes in the fact that it's only half a season. It feels very incomplete. Kinda upsetting the way Netflix has done this with both AD and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Season 5 is a victim of the standard this show has set. Calling the season bad is a very relative assessment. Season 5 is more entertaining than 99% of any season of any comedy show in the history of the medium. That's how good the original run is (S1-3). Judging this show against itself doesn't seem fair. It's the Gretzky phenomenon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->