Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Edm/Cal. The bottom 6 on both those teams are lousy...
bottom 6 on calgary's been an issue for a decade. any team that had Matt Stajan as a valuable piece won't be going far.
the issue with calgary as well: Boring Sean Monnahan is not a top line player. they essentially have Tkatchuk, Johnny G and nothing else exciting up front.
in the end, it brings me joy to see a team with Tkatchuk struggling this year (although they aren't struggling as bad as Vancouver is and aren't far behind us in the standings).

the Oilers have had a goaltending problem forever. who was their last decent goalie? Roloson?
their starter's on LTIR and he's a bottom 1/3 starter regardless. they're stuck playing their backup (who is being paid like a starter thanks to their previous management) and are getting expected results

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
bottom 6 on calgary's been an issue for a decade. any team that had Matt Stajan as a valuable piece won't be going far.
the issue with calgary as well: Boring Sean Monnahan is not a top line player. they essentially have Tkatchuk, Johnny G and nothing else exciting up front.
in the end, it brings me joy to see a team with Tkatchuk struggling this year (although they aren't struggling as bad as Vancouver is and aren't far behind us in the standings).

the Oilers have had a goaltending problem forever. who was their last decent goalie? Roloson?
their starter's on LTIR and he's a bottom 1/3 starter regardless. they're stuck playing their backup (who is being paid like a starter thanks to their previous management) and are getting expected results
Koskinen is a good goalie, he's just very inconsistent. I think he's better than Smith. He did them no favors last night that's for sure.

Reactions: hn777

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Koskinen is a good goalie, he's just very inconsistent. I think he's better than Smith. He did them no favors last night that's for sure.
what's Koskinen's ceiling? leave average, at best, right?
he's most likely a bottom 25% goalie in the NHL, at best. not a guy who should have received that kind of contract

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
what's Koskinen's ceiling? leave average, at best, right?
he's most likely a bottom 25% goalie in the NHL, at best. not a guy who should have received that kind of contract
I disagree - he's big and fairly quiet. When he's good, he's excellent. Problem is, he doesn't have starter consistency. At his age he probably never will - but his contract is 4.5m so it's not obscene. He's the 19th highest paid goalie so that seems in line with his performance.

Reactions: HannuJ

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I disagree - he's big and fairly quiet. When he's good, he's excellent. Problem is, he doesn't have starter consistency. At his age he probably never will - but his contract is 4.5m so it's not obscene. He's the 19th highest paid goalie so that seems in line with his performance.
Betcha they would love Brossoit and his contract right now. :naughty:

Reactions: Jet

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
On this day:

I believe
Chad Kilger center drafted 4th overall 1995
Oleg Trevdovksy defenseman 2nd overall 1994
FB_IMG_1612713094388.jpg

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Koskinen is not a goalie that helps you win a Stanley Cup let alone a be contender, Oilers have to realize they are wasting 2 superstars with very limited support and poor goaltending, shame on them all those early picks and those poor trades haven't helped either

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Koskinen is not a goalie that helps you win a Stanley Cup let alone a be contender, Oilers have to realize they are wasting 2 superstars with very limited support and poor goaltending, shame on them all those early picks and those poor trades haven't helped either
Corey Crawford. was he ever elite?
Matt Murray?
i thought Binnington was lucky during his Cup run.

here's the thing about elite goaltending: they help you win 1 goal games, what....1 extra time out of every 3 games? in a 7 game series, that's big. but if your team's outscoring the other team by 2 goals a game, you just need average goaltending to win

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Matt Murray?

here's the thing about elite goaltending: they help you win 1 goal games, what....1 extra time out of every 3 games? in a 7 game series, that's big. but if your team's outscoring the other team by 2 goals a game, you just need average goaltending to win
Oil don’t have enough $$ to pay anyone besides those two superstars

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

highly dysfunctional organization under Katz since he bought them. They land McDavid and Drai so they have that but can they right the ship in time?

The crazy part is the Oilers have this season and 4 more before McDavid is in his lame duck season.

That is a very limited window that I don’t see expanding unless there are big changes.

To be more blunt McDavid is 24 shockingly in his 6th season with only 4 season left before he gets out of Jail.

What a waist of a generational asset.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Matt Murray?

Crawford was definitely elite, slightly overshadowed (oddly enough) by how good the Blackhawks were. Over the period 2012/13-2017/18, he was undoubtedly one of the best goaltenders in the league, and certainly one of the most consistently great.

Murray was great on every level right up until he won his second Stanley Cup, at which point he seemingly forgot how to goaltend.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Oil don’t have enough $$ to pay anyone besides those two superstars

It isn't simply that those 2 stars cost too much and therefore they can't afford to build a team around them.

They are paying 8.95 mil for James Neal and Zack Kassian.
They are paying 7.75 mil for Kris Russell and Tyson Barrie. And they are paying 4.167 mil to Klefbom, though that is LTIR'd.

But that is still 16.75 mil for 4 guys whose play they should be getting for about 5 mil., give or take. That would free up 11+ mil for better supporting players. And another 3.8 mil in buyouts right now. They have just 2 skaters on ELC's.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
highly dysfunctional organization under Katz since he bought them. They land McDavid and Drai so they have that but can they right the ship in time?

The crazy part is the Oilers have this season and 4 more before McDavid is in his lame duck season.

That is a very limited window that I don’t see expanding unless there are big changes.

To be more blunt McDavid is 24 shockingly in his 6th season with only 4 season left before he gets out of Jail.

What a waist of a generational asset.
You love to see it after they were gifted McDavid.

Reactions: ps241

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
From Winnipeg Enterprises hogging all the revenue to Shenkarow selling the team a few years before it was announced... good riddance

Start with failing to sell out a small arena - even with low ticket prices. Add low $C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad