Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I firmly believe in rehabilitation, but that requires genuine remorse that Miller seems to lack.

Apparantly teams were unimpressed with the way he interviewed as well (not at all shocking). I wonder how much further he would have slid if Arizona didn't pick him.

Arizona gets caught cheating and loses draft picks. Then this draft choice of a guy who continued to bully a disabled kid for years after being charged and the story was out there before the pick? This is what a rudderless ship looks like.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I only used Toews as an example. I think the remaining need is 1st pair RHD, not LHD. Not 2nd pair RHD either. We have that well covered.

Other than a 1RD falling in his lap, I think Chevy is done. Now, it is just about who makes the team coming out of TC.
I don't know if Chevy is done. We have Roslovic and Niku unsigned and about $4.6 M of Little's LTIR room to play with. There are still also a few interesting unsigned UFAs out there. There is time and potential cap room for Chevy to still tinker.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't know if Chevy is done. We have Roslovic and Niku unsigned and about $4.6 M of Little's LTIR room to play with. There are still also a few interesting unsigned UFAs out there. There is time and potential cap room for Chevy to still tinker.

That cap space is mostly gone with Roslovic and Niku signed. There is plenty of time and still some space left. But what can he get for that last couple of mil that is any better than what we have? Even without Covid, it is foolish to spend all of your cap space just because you have it. It is still real money. With Covid that is magnified.

I think tinkering would just be a waste of money. There is still some potential for a big move involving moving cap space around. But the likelihood of that is pretty small.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
That cap space is mostly gone with Roslovic and Niku signed. There is plenty of time and still some space left. But what can he get for that last couple of mil that is any better than what we have? Even without Covid, it is foolish to spend all of your cap space just because you have it. It is still real money. With Covid that is magnified.

I think tinkering would just be a waste of money. There is still some potential for a big move involving moving cap space around. But the likelihood of that is pretty small.
I don't think the cap space comes close to being used up by Rosie and Niku. I think both are open to being traded and the harder Chevy squeezes them on bridge deals the more attractive they are on the trade market. And if both get signed another player has to drop off the roster as they currently have 22 contracts. Also there is wiggle room depending how creative Chevy wants to get. We could still pay a team to take MP's contract off our hands and really open up space. There are some nice players out there that might be willing to sign on at a very nice price point if Chevy stays in the discussion mix. A 3rd line of Copp-Haula-Roslovic starts changing the landscape. Then you have a 4th line of Harkins-Lowry- Appleton and we become a much more formidable team.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Alex Galchenyuk sign with Ottawa for just over a million. It's noticeable that Canadian teams have been the most active in the free agent market of late. Maybe Canadian teams will start playing sooner than later, because for the NHL that's where the money is this year, and Rogers can't afford to lose all its cable subscribers, while cable is still competing for revenue streams right now. I think it would be pretty easy to create bubbles for the players in the Western Canadian cities, and would have government approval. East is more difficult, though Kanata itself is probably a bubble, in the middle of pasture land. I'm not sure there's enough hotels. May be limited East-West travel at first.

Being back in the old Smythe division again would be nice, I wouldn't look forward to play against Colorado so much this year. A Canadian division would be most entertaining come playoff time, I think the rivalries are built in, and the fans will come back, if given the opportunity.

Reactions: Jets 31

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
So are games against Dallas suppose to be played with the lights in the arena off?

Dallas Stars unveil vibrant new third jerseys

578debb0-1932-11eb-b5fc-0429af5ae7e2

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Jets have cap room of 4.6 million minus whatever Ros gets and minus whatever Niku gets over $700k, if you get my math.
Minor differences depending on who makes the team and who gets sent to the AHL.

That's like spending to the cap.

Chipman must know they will be no NHL season.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
If he has paid a price for his absolutely disgusting actions, please point to it.

He was convicted of a crime, assigned a sentence for his conviction, and he completed the terms of his conviction. The legal system would call that "paying a price".

And like the person you quoted said, "he issued an apology, but I unilaterally declare 'that doesn't count'" is precisely why social vigilantism is just as problematic as criminal vigilantism. The people that want him blacklisted for life based on what he did at 14 (and let's not deny that this is exactly what they want) have no path to redemption for him. None. And if their demands aren't met, then the NHL is "obviously racist to their very core and that nothing they've ever done otherwise has mattered".

It's frightening, how casual the blackmail and ultimata are thrown around.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think the cap space comes close to being used up by Rosie and Niku. I think both are open to being traded and the harder Chevy squeezes them on bridge deals the more attractive they are on the trade market. And if both get signed another player has to drop off the roster as they currently have 22 contracts. Also there is wiggle room depending how creative Chevy wants to get. We could still pay a team to take MP's contract off our hands and really open up space. There are some nice players out there that might be willing to sign on at a very nice price point if Chevy stays in the discussion mix. A 3rd line of Copp-Haula-Roslovic starts changing the landscape. Then you have a 4th line of Harkins-Lowry- Appleton and we become a much more formidable team.

4.6 minus Niku's QO of 840k = 3.76.
3.76 minus 2.3 for Rosie = 1.46 mil left.

How is that not almost all used up? Maybe Rosie gets only 1.9 so there is 1.86 left. Still almost all used up.

I expect Toninato to drop off regardless, unless he can take the 13 spot from Thompson. So add .7 or .75 mil to that. 2.5 mil of LTIR space is still almost all used up.

If Chevy pays some team to take Perreault, I will want his hide nailed to the barn door. Chevy's, not Perreault's.

Maurice's 3C is Lowry and there is nothing Chevy can do about that short of firing Maurice. We don't need Haula or anyone else to make up a much better bottom 6. We have all the players we need for that. The coach is the problem there.

Reactions: robertocarlos

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
4.6 minus Niku's QO of 840k = 3.76.
3.76 minus 2.3 for Rosie = 1.46 mil left.

How is that not almost all used up? Maybe Rosie gets only 1.9 so there is 1.86 left. Still almost all used up.

I expect Toninato to drop off regardless, unless he can take the 13 spot from Thompson. So add .7 or .75 mil to that. 2.5 mil of LTIR space is still almost all used up.

If Chevy pays some team to take Perreault, I will want his hide nailed to the barn door. Chevy's, not Perreault's.

Maurice's 3C is Lowry and there is nothing Chevy can do about that short of firing Maurice. We don't need Haula or anyone else to make up a much better bottom 6. We have all the players we need for that. The coach is the problem there.
I think Rosie will get squeezed way more than you think. IMO Chevy at this point is more interested in making him as tradable as possible rather than make him happy. I have no problem Chevy selling off MP as long as the cost isn't too high if the cap space is then used to sign a valuable UFA at a deep discount to what he may otherwise cost. And who are all these players we have to make for a much better bottom 6?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think Rosie will get squeezed way more than you think. IMO Chevy at this point is more interested in making him as tradable as possible rather than make him happy. I have no problem Chevy selling off MP as long as the cost isn't too high if the cap space is then used to sign a valuable UFA at a deep discount to what he may otherwise cost. And who are all these players we have to make for a much better bottom 6?

So you think he wants to push Rosie out that badly?

There is no price that is not too high to pay to move MP, who he should have traded 2 years ago, who he should have bought out 3 weeks ago. And yes, I understand that you save less with a buyout. But it will cost more than a 3 year old 7th, so it is too much. Besides, I've seen what Chevy considers fair price to move a 1 year, 4 mil contract.

Harkins - Roslovic - Appleton
Copp - Lowry - Perreault

Who are all these valuable UFA's available at deep discount prices? There's not a lot left.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So you think he wants to push Rosie out that badly?

There is no price that is not too high to pay to move MP, who he should have traded 2 years ago, who he should have bought out 3 weeks ago. And yes, I understand that you save less with a buyout. But it will cost more than a 3 year old 7th, so it is too much. Besides, I've seen what Chevy considers fair price to move a 1 year, 4 mil contract.

Harkins - Roslovic - Appleton
Copp - Lowry - Perreault

Who are all these valuable UFA's available at deep discount prices? There's not a lot left.
Problem is only MP, who is a shadow of the player he once was has scored even 30 points out of that bottom 6. People say they want a scoring 3rd line then we actually need players who have proven to be able to score. Last season fully 2/3 of our goals came from just 5 players who scored 142/213. Scheifele, Connor, Laine, Ehlers, Wheeler. After that our next highest goal scorer had 12. We all like Appleton but he had all of 8 points in 46 games. He will be a steady player, but don't expect him to start lighting the lamp. Still UFAs all under 30 y/o Grandlund who has had 67 and 69 point seasons. Haula while he has had some recent injury problems is only a couple seasons removed from a 29 G 55 point season. Or maybe Duclair who had 23 G 40 points last season. Just my opinion but these unique circumstances could allow Chevy to pick up a player that actually generates some offense for our bottom 6.

Reactions: Neuf

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
He was convicted of a crime, assigned a sentence for his conviction, and he completed the terms of his conviction. The legal system would call that "paying a price".

And like the person you quoted said, "he issued an apology, but I unilaterally declare 'that doesn't count'" is precisely why social vigilantism is just as problematic as criminal vigilantism. The people that want him blacklisted for life based on what he did at 14 (and let's not deny that this is exactly what they want) have no path to redemption for him. None. And if their demands aren't met, then the NHL is "obviously racist to their very core and that nothing they've ever done otherwise has mattered".

People can make serious mistakes at a young age, learn and grow from them, and become better human beings. By all accounts, this kid hasn't. The magistrate in his case stated:

“Mitchell, I’m not sure you still get it,” I don’t think you like being where you are. But I still don’t think you’ve put yourself in the shoes of not just the one victim but numerous victims. No one should come to school and feel humiliated or intimidated.

“If this is what you do in school, I wonder what you do outside of school? You’re supposed to be on your best behavior in school. So if this is an example of your best behavior, I wonder what your worst behavior is. I don’t have a sense of real remorse. But I do feel that you feel sorry for yourself.”

Sure he was 14 when he was convicted, but let's not forget that four years later, he sent an apology to the 31 NHL teams, but not to the victim who he continued to harass for years after he was convicted and, as you put it, "paid a price".

Last edited by a moderator:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
it's funny...in previous seasons, fans were screaming that Chevy moved too early, that there were always good last-minute UFAs to pick up.
this year, it's the opposite.
goes to show you that you can't keep 100% of fans happy 100% of the time

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Problem is only MP, who is a shadow of the player he once was has scored even 30 points out of that bottom 6. People say they want a scoring 3rd line then we actually need players who have proven to be able to score. Last season fully 2/3 of our goals came from just 5 players who scored 142/213. Scheifele, Connor, Laine, Ehlers, Wheeler. After that our next highest goal scorer had 12. We all like Appleton but he had all of 8 points in 46 games. He will be a steady player, but don't expect him to start lighting the lamp. Still UFAs all under 30 y/o Grandlund who has had 67 and 69 point seasons. Haula while he has had some recent injury problems is only a couple seasons removed from a 29 G 55 point season. Or maybe Duclair who had 23 G 40 points last season. Just my opinion but these unique circumstances could allow Chevy to pick up a player that actually generates some offense for our bottom 6.

Usage has a lot to do with that. Nobody scores much per game when playing 5 min per game.

I don't care what some UFA player did years ago, with much different usage than what our bottom 6 guys are getting. Yes you can say they have proven something. But what they have proven is not what they will face in our bottom 6. Haula is probably finished. I've thought about Duclair, but I suspect there must be something behind him not being qualified.

I think the players we have are capable of scoring a lot more with different usage. All of the more proven players you are looking at have substantial red flags waving. I don't see spending money on them when we have the potential for as good or better right here, being underutilized.

To get a scoring 3rd line, we need to use the offensive players we have on the 3rd line. As long as the 3rd line is Copp - Lowry - xxx and assigned a shut down role, they are not going to score. Put our (almost) 40 goal scorer Connor on that line and he won't score diddly either.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Usage has a lot to do with that. Nobody scores much per game when playing 5 min per game.

I don't care what some UFA player did years ago, with much different usage than what our bottom 6 guys are getting. Yes you can say they have proven something. But what they have proven is not what they will face in our bottom 6. Haula is probably finished. I've thought about Duclair, but I suspect there must be something behind him not being qualified.

I think the players we have are capable of scoring a lot more with different usage. All of the more proven players you are looking at have substantial red flags waving. I don't see spending money on them when we have the potential for as good or better right here, being underutilized.

To get a scoring 3rd line, we need to use the offensive players we have on the 3rd line. As long as the 3rd line is Copp - Lowry - xxx and assigned a shut down role, they are not going to score. Put our (almost) 40 goal scorer Connor on that line and he won't score diddly either.
Or you give a weak bottom 6 as few minutes as possible because you are top 6 heavy team. Compare our bottom 6 to the true contenders and we suck big time. We are below middle of the pack. We can go year after year blaming the coach for not having a balanced lineup or we can take advantage of a unique set of circumstances and see if introducing someone at the NHL level who has proven to produce actually increases our bottom 6 production. I'm mostly a Chevy fan but one of my biggest pet peeves is year after year he leaves us with a s**** bottom 6.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

I think you are failing to understand what remorse is, true remorse, not the fake remorse a court will extract from the ilk of a Mitchell Miller.

Redemption starts with showing true remorse, and true remorse is shown when one never commits the same actions again and again.

I will circle back to the victims’ mothers statement:

"Hello — I’m the mother of the boy that Mitchell Miller bullied," began the letter from Joni Meyer-Crothers to the Coyotes organization days after the draft. "I read the statements made by the GM (Bill Armstrong) etc. and find them demeaning to our son. Are you aware Mitchell NEVER apologized to our son? Are you aware two years ago he still taunted him? Are you aware this went on for years? Do you understand the mental damage Mitchell did to our son?"

An apology after it hits the media, but nothing prior according to the family.

If true, your stiff 25 hours of community service did absolutely jack in addressing Mitchell Millers racist bullying ways. He continued to emotionally and physically bully a mentally challenged boy for years after “paying the price”. Maybe the court should have made him eat a candy from an urinal, might have been more of a deterrent.

And spare me as though he has suffered severely. It has not prevented him from making the next level in his career. The only person that suffered, for years and years, was Isaiah Meyer-Crothers.

"He pretended to be my friend and made me do things I didn't want to do," Meyer-Crothers said in a phone interview. "In junior high, I got beat up by him. … Everyone thinks he's so cool that he gets to go to the NHL, but I don't see how someone can be cool when you pick on someone and bully someone your entire life."

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Or you give a weak bottom 6 as few minutes as possible because you are top 6 heavy team. Compare our bottom 6 to the true contenders and we suck big time. We are below middle of the pack. We can go year after year blaming the coach for not having a balanced lineup or we can take advantage of a unique set of circumstances and see if introducing someone at the NHL level who has proven to produce actually increases our bottom 6 production. I'm mostly a Chevy fan but one of my biggest pet peeves is year after year he leaves us with a s**** bottom 6.

I think the bottom 6 is limited by the types of players Maurice wants for it so it impacts the pool of players Chevy gets to choose from.

I don't believe our bottom 6 is weak it is just used in a way the coach wants which limits the offense. Would it matter if we had another good center on the roster or would Maurice just trot out Adam Lowry for second line minutes anyhow cause he wants a tough minute matchup line. Adam Lowry has consistently scored at fourth line rates and he is trucked out continually for big minutes. Do you not think playing an offensively inept player as much as Maurice does has any impact on our third lines scoring rates? Also don't say he doesn't have options, he could have run with Copp as his 3C (Similar defensively with good scoring rates for a 3C) and then Lowry as his fourth C and built around them with Roslovic plus some other wingers.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I think you are failing to understand what remorse is, true remorse, not the fake remorse a court will extract from the ilk of a Mitchell Miller.

"True remorse is showing remorse at a level Miller is not capable of" sounds a lot like what I'm saying he's up against: no matter what he does, it will seem inadequate.

An apology after it hits the media, but nothing prior according to the family.

According to the courts, the apology was done, as it was part of his sentence, and obviously his sentence could not have been completed if the courts did not receive it. Whether or not there was a mistake on the court's part in delivering it, that may be an issue altogether. But what we know right now is A. Miller was required to issue an apology to complete the terms of his conviction and B. he is on record as having completed the terms of his conviction.

If true, your stiff 25 hours of community service did absolutely jack in addressing Mitchell Millers racist bullying ways. He continued to emotionally and physically bully a mentally challenged boy for years after “paying the price”. Maybe the court should have made him eat a candy from an urinal, might have been more of a deterrent.

And spare me as though he has suffered severely. It has not prevented him from making the next level in his career. The only person that suffered, for years and years, was Isaiah Meyer-Crothers.

I never said he suffered severely. I said he paid a legal price, namely a conviction and terms to complete; and if your goal is to suggest that Miller's punishment has not fit the crime, then why are you defending another punishment that, also, does not fit the crime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad