Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Disgusted by this story. This kid is a real little puke and doesn't deserve an NHL gig. My only hope is to see Ryan Reaves beat him senseless, each and every time they meet.

According to his victim, this little coward continued to bully and torment him for years after. To draft and reward this vile POS just shows how skill can compensate for being a complete DBag.
I firmly believe in rehabilitation, but that requires genuine remorse that Miller seems to lack.

Apparantly teams were unimpressed with the way he interviewed as well (not at all shocking). I wonder how much further he would have slid if Arizona didn't pick him.

first, nice to see you again, BoJo. been a while.

i'm looking at this story from a different angle.
he's a kid.
his parents failed him. his teachers failed him. the school failed him.
his coaches and his agent failed him.
and now, the Coyotes failed him.

and these people failed the poor kid he bullied.

here's the thing: i'm not surprised that a hockey player did this. hockey culture seems to promote crap like this. go after the weak, etc.

in the end, he did it when he was 14. we all did stupid shit when we were 14. maybe nowhere nearly as stupid as this. but there's a reason there's juvie jail. i'm smarter now than what i was in my 20s, never mind what i was like as a teenager.

the apparent lack of remorse and closure is gross. but, again, that should be coming from the school and his coaches and, one would hope, his parents. Miller was enabled every step of the way.

i'm willing to forgive him, but the problem is that, now, anything he'd do to show he's legitimately sorry is nothing but lip service.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wait, he had a prime? Devon Toews would have been a nice addition to the Jets but Chevy does like to sleep a lot!

We don't have the cap space for that. Would have had to move someone out. Then he would have blocked Samberg and/or Heinola.

I do not, for the life of me, understand the logic behind not buying out Perreault this year.

Reactions: sipowicz

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario

he's a kid.

here's the thing: i'm not surprised that a hockey player did this. hockey culture seems to promote crap like this. go after the weak, etc.

in the end, he did it when he was 14. we all did stupid shit when we were 14. maybe nowhere nearly as stupid as this. but there's a reason there's juvie jail. i'm smarter now than what i was in my 20s, never mind what i was like as a teenager.

the apparent lack of remorse and closure is gross. but, again, that should be coming from the school and his coaches and, one would hope, his parents. Miller was enabled every step of the way.

i'm willing to forgive him, but the problem is that, now, anything he'd do to show he's legitimately sorry is nothing but lip service.

This went beyond just bullying though.

He apparently hit the other kid's head against a brick wall and forced him to lick a popsicle that was rubbed against the inside of the urinal, which is when the police got involved. Not to mention the other ways which he bullied a person with mental disabilities for years.

A 14 year has a developed sense of morality, he knew what he was doing was wrong. I was an asshole as a teenager (which wasn't very long ago for me) and I would never have thought of doing any of the things he did.

Miller isn't irredeemable but by all account's he hasn't even tried to make amends. I don't think somebody should be permanently judged by their actions in the past but if you don't make an effort to change then you don't deserve that benefit.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

he's a kid.

Thanks HannuJ, yes its been awhile, with so much that has gone on since we last talked Raps/Jets.

Best moment in my sporting life was watching the Raps do the unthinkable last year. Amazing and truly a moment I never thought I would be able to experience.
How did it feel for you?

This kid apparently continued to racially bully this person for years after he was charged with the original incident. So if he was 14 at the time, he continued the same disgusting actions till he was 17/18.

I think there are actions that show more innate, deeper darker issues in a human, that makes rehabilitating the behavior more difficult and impossible in some situations.

To racially bully someone may signal a poor upbringing, possibly poor influences from racially insensitive parents. You were most likely raised in a racist environment, and programmed to hate. Rehabilitation maybe possible.

To bully someone that has special needs, to me, is a level above that. It is a signal you are a disgusting vile crap human in your core, and most likely you are a danger to society. Some things just do not deserve second chances IMO.

Picking on special needs is as vile an action there is and to me, you rank right up there with pedos and rapists. If I ever saw someone do that I would rage on them to a point I would end up in jail.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
We don't have the cap space for that. Would have had to move someone out. Then he would have blocked Samberg and/or Heinola.

I do not, for the life of me, understand the logic behind not buying out Perreault this year.
Buying out Perreault would only save about $1.5-2.0M in cap space this season, and it would cost an extra $1.33M in cap space next season.

Also, Perreault is a possible trade deadline rental to another team (if there is a season and trade deadline), so they might eventually get some value for him. Beyond all that, Perreault might actually be a useful player this season.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

The Jets can't afford 4.1m?

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Lol, so by your logic, anytime a team acquires and signs a free agent that is seen as a solid signing, 30 other GMS should be fired?

When they sit on their hands and don't make a move when they obviously need to make changes then yes they should be fired.
Laine should be an Isles now.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Buying out Perreault would only save about $1.5-2.0M in cap space this season, and it would cost an extra $1.33M in cap space next season.

Also, Perreault is a possible trade deadline rental to another team (if there is a season and trade deadline), so they might eventually get some value for him. Beyond all that, Perreault might actually be a useful player this season.

All true - more or less. But saving 2 mil on Perreault would have made something like a Devon Toews signing possible. For example.

If we are in PO contention, we won't be moving anyone at the TD. If not, we might move several.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The Jets can't afford 4.1m?

No.

After signing the RFA's and using all of Little's LTIR there is approximately 2.15 mil space left. That is we will be ~3.15 mil over the cap and into LTIR space. Some small variation possible there depending on exactly what the RFA's sign for.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Chevy should be fired. Totally incompetant to not acquire Toews and sign him. Avs stole that kid.

He signed for 4 years. Do you want him blocking Samberg and/or Heinola for that long?

Never mind that we don't have the cap space.

Yes Avs stole him and you could say that Chevy should have maneuvred us into a position to get him. But as it stands now, we were not in such a position.

Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

he's a kid.

I am simply not prepared to destroy a person's entire nascent livelihood because of what they did as a 14 year old, especially when it was a criminal matter for which he was convicted and he completed the sentence handed down. Especially when, as you absolutely accurately pointed out, the people calling for his complete erasure have him set up in a situation where he can never gain absolution in their eyes.

A whole lot of bloodthirst being exhibited, and certainly not without warrant given what repugnant acts of bullying went on, but there's a reason we don't execute criminals for every crime. It is absolutely possible to go beyond what is just, in the name of punishing people for bad actions; this is something that vigilante mobs are especially famous for, and the braying masses demanding the NHL blacklist him are trying to be just that.

Michael Vick got a second chance for his horrible acts *at age 28* and he showed that second chance was justified, right?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
All true - more or less. But saving 2 mil on Perreault would have made something like a Devon Toews signing possible. For example.

If we are in PO contention, we won't be moving anyone at the TD. If not, we might move several.
I think the Jets are banking on Samberg and Heinola more than many fans and pundits are. I think that if the Jets make a trade for a D, it's more likely for one that's closer to a top pairing D, with the expectation that Samberg or Heinola will soon fill a 2nd pair LD slot. At some point, a team needs to trust their prospects and rely on them during their ELC years. The Jets wanted Samberg in the pros a year earlier, so they likely think his development had progressed well.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Also, Slamberg will be 22 shortly and he is no 18 year old kid any more.
His body has had time to put on some muscle.
I think he starts this season and will be the starting 2LHD the season after.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think the Jets are banking on Samberg and Heinola more than many fans and pundits are. I think that if the Jets make a trade for a D, it's more likely for one that's closer to a top pairing D, with the expectation that Samberg or Heinola will soon fill a 2nd pair LD slot. At some point, a team needs to trust their prospects and rely on them during their ELC years. The Jets wanted Samberg in the pros a year earlier, so they likely think his development had progressed well.

I only used Toews as an example. I think the remaining need is 1st pair RHD, not LHD. Not 2nd pair RHD either. We have that well covered.

Other than a 1RD falling in his lap, I think Chevy is done. Now, it is just about who makes the team coming out of TC.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I am simply not prepared to destroy a person's entire nascent livelihood because of what they did as a 14 year old, especially when it was a criminal matter for which he was convicted and he completed the sentence handed down. Especially when, as you absolutely accurately pointed out, the people calling for his complete erasure have him set up in a situation where he can never gain absolution in their eyes.

A whole lot of bloodthirst being exhibited, and certainly not without warrant given what repugnant acts of bullying went on, but there's a reason we don't execute criminals for every crime. It is absolutely possible to go beyond what is just, in the name of punishing people for bad actions; this is something that vigilante mobs are especially famous for, and the braying masses demanding the NHL blacklist him are trying to be just that.

Michael Vick got a second chance for his horrible acts *at age 28* and he showed that second chance was justified, right?
He did get a second chance and according to the victim continued to bully him and continued to call him the N word.

Brandon R on 1290 this morning hit it on the head. This kid has shown zero remorse, he never apologized to the victim, continued tormenting a special needs person after being charged. He issued an apology today because the story came out.

He made the national team, scholarship to UND and now a first round draft pick.

If he has paid a price for his absolutely disgusting actions, please point to it.

Last edited:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
He did get a second chance and according to the victim continued to bully him and continued to call him the N word.

Brandon R on 1290 this morning hit it on the head. This kid has shown zero remorse, he never apologized to the victim, continued tormenting a special needs person after being charged. He issued an apology today because the story came out.

He made the national team, scholarship to UND and now a first round draft pick.

If he has paid a price for his absolutely disgusting actions, please point to it.
he was a 4rd round pick, fyi. the first pick for the Coyotes at the draft.

again, i'm pointing my finger not just at the kid, but at everything around him that failed. he should have been held accountable.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Thanks HannuJ, yes its been awhile, with so much that has gone on since we last talked Raps/Jets.

Best moment in my sporting life was watching the Raps do the unthinkable last year. Amazing and truly a moment I never thought I would be able to experience.
How did it feel for you?

This kid apparently continued to racially bully this person for years after he was charged with the original incident. So if he was 14 at the time, he continued the same disgusting actions till he was 17/18.

I think there are actions that show more innate, deeper darker issues in a human, that makes rehabilitating the behavior more difficult and impossible in some situations.

To racially bully someone may signal a poor upbringing, possibly poor influences from racially insensitive parents. You were most likely raised in a racist environment, and programmed to hate. Rehabilitation maybe possible.

To bully someone that has special needs, to me, is a level above that. It is a signal you are a disgusting vile crap human in your core, and most likely you are a danger to society. Some things just do not deserve second chances IMO.

Picking on special needs is as vile an action there is and to me, you rank right up there with pedos and rapists. If I ever saw someone do that I would rage on them to a point I would end up in jail.
and since we talked engagement rings. lol.

Raps' win was pretty great. them losing game 5 at home was one of the craziest 10 minutes of my sporting life. i was drunk and at BarHop. Kahwi turned into a robot and i grabbed my wife and said "they're doing it. they are really doing it!!" yeah. they didn't. lol

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
and since we talked engagement rings. lol.

Raps' win was pretty great. them losing game 5 at home was one of the craziest 10 minutes of my sporting life. i was drunk and at BarHop. Kahwi turned into a robot and i grabbed my wife and said "they're doing it. they are really doing it!!" yeah. they didn't. lol
I had a meltdown at the end of that game, thought it wasn’t going to happen after that one

Reactions: HannuJ

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yeh but we get @Lynk in that agreement so I’d say it evens out. :nod:

@Lynk was a role model for how to be a fan of a player first and The team second but do it the right way. He fit in here like a glove and when Ron was traded he was gone too but while he was here he was a huge Jets (Thrashers) booster. Miss His sense of humour on our board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad