OT: Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Vegas' issue isn't Reaves doing his thing. It's that their stars can't score for shit. You can't boast a bunch of blokes that can score all season long and then the playoffs start and suddenly Patches, Stone, Tuch, Karlsson, Stastny, Marches Sault, and others can't even score.

Dallas is getting it's depth showing up. While Vegas' isn't.

But hurr durr that one 4th liner we also had on the Pens we gotta act like he's the difference maker and why they're losing!

Meanwhile we were shit with him and even worse after him and neither years had anything to do with him.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The media has been talking about him as if he's as impactful as a first line player, that's the point. Dude sucks, but he's got a likable personality and does goofy shit on the ice, so people love him. :laugh:
He's a 4th liner playing 4th liner minutes that can disrupt on a forecheck. He is what he is.

Media also jerks off to Tom Wilson and his effectiveness. Let's whine about that too.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Point is so good.

Something I don't understand -- and maybe those with better knowledge of the technical aspects of skating can answer this -- is why more players don't put in the effort Point did to improve his skating? If skating is a knock on you, and you otherwise have NHL-caliber ability, why don't players work hard at it to make it a strength?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Point is so good.

Something I don't understand -- and maybe those with better knowledge of the technical aspects of skating can answer this -- is why more players don't put in the effort Point did to improve his skating? If skating is a knock on you, and you otherwise have NHL-caliber ability, why don't players work hard at it to make it a strength?

The crazy part of Point is he is so good right now Kucherov is just defaulting to him.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Avs/Lightning would have been a lot of fun. VGK/Lightning less so, but probably entertaining. Dallas/Lightning may drive me to football.
Dallas sucks ass, watching them is boring af outside of a few players that stand out and are fun to watch like Heiskanen and Gurianov. The rest of that team is just boring. VGK is actually more fun to watch when their stars were coached by GG.

Pete DeBoer is just a shit coach, he's coaching them the way the Sharks did when the Pens owned their ass too, just a flat out boring team to watch.

think the Isles’ sweet run will be ending soon...this is a must win game for them and Tampa is already leading
Tampa didn't have Point in 1 game and that game is where people thought they had a chance after a win. When Point is in that line-up, the Bolts are just gonna destroy.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's crazy, these blokes are going to make the 31pts Sid and 36pts that Geno put up look like nothing, very soon if Tampa keeps brutalizing teams. Brayden Point is on pace to tie Geno's 36 or get 37pts in 24 games.

Geno's 36 in 24 in the playoffs hasn't been beat since 2009, correct? Obviously better numbers by other legends, but since 2009, I can't recall anyone breaking past 36.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
He's a 4th liner playing 4th liner minutes that can disrupt on a forecheck. He is what he is.

Media also jerks off to Tom Wilson and his effectiveness. Let's whine about that too.
Tom Wilson is a 20g, 40pt guy, and an effective player in his role. Reaves is not, and never was, any good at anything. The media just loves him because he's part of a dying breed of goon, and he does a lot of chirping.

They're nothing close to comparable. Tom Wilson is about 10x the player Reaves is.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Tom Wilson is a 20g, 40pt guy, and an effective player in his role. Reaves is not, and never was, any good at anything. The media just loves him because he's part of a dying breed of goon, and he does a lot of chirping.

They're nothing close to comparable. Tom Wilson is about 10x the player Reaves is.
You have the weirdest fascination for Ryan Reaves. I'll leave you to it.

Reactions: Your Boy Troy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
You have the weirdest fascination for Ryan Reaves. I'll leave you to it.
:laugh: What? I causally brought up that it was funny to see the hockey world wake up and come to the realization that Reaves sucks, and you put your armor on and went to defend the guy like he's some unheralded bottom-6 gem. Reaves has been the most talked about 4th line nobody I can ever remember seeing since he joined Vegas. He does nothing, just like he always has, but he's some mini-celeb for the Golden Knights because he does goofy shit and chirps the opposition's bench all game.

Incidentally, it's funny to be called out for having a weird fascination with a guy when like 95% of your posts are about how Sully is some deranged egomaniac that's singlehandedly driven this team into the dirt. :laugh:

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
:laugh: What? I causally brought up that it was funny to see the hockey world wake up and come to the realization that Reaves sucks, and you put your armor on and went to defend the guy like he's some unheralded bottom-6 gem. Reaves has been the most talked about 4th line nobody I can ever remember seeing since he joined Vegas. He does nothing, just like he always has, but he's some mini-celeb for the Golden Knights because he does goofy shit and chirps the opposition's bench all game.

Incidentally, it's funny to be called out for having a weird fascination with a guy when like 95% of your posts are about how Sully is some deranged egomaniac that's singlehandedly driven this team into the dirt. :laugh:

Mate, Sullivan just literally had his entire bench fired as a warning shot for those things I have been calling him out for.

Meanwhile, Reaves has been a decent 4th liner on 2 out of 3 teams and no one cares about it anymore. No one is confusing him of anything else and a solid 4th line player can be a pain in the ass at times, Reaves can be, but he's also a loose cannon when he's not kept in check and I have a very low opinion of Pete DeBoer over GG, whom they ceremoniously fired for panicking too early.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Mate, Sullivan just literally had his entire bench fired as a warning shot for those things I have been calling him out for.

Meanwhile, Reaves has been a decent 4th liner on 2 out of 3 teams and no one cares about it anymore. No one is confusing him of anything else and a solid 4th line player can be a pain in the ass at times, Reaves can be, but he's also a loose cannon when he's not kept in check and I have a very low opinion of Pete DeBoer over GG, whom they ceremoniously fired for panicking too early.

Reaves is not a loose cannon and is one of the cleanest players in the league.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

I mean, that's the original point I made. It was odd to see a nobody 4th line goon get so much press and have so many people talking about his impact when, in reality, he's never been anything more than a ~10pt, 10 minute a night guy. He does nothing to help this team, and I've always found it weird how much is made of a guy that's less effective than ZAR.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I mean, that's the original point I made. It was odd to see a nobody 4th line goon get so much press and have so many people talking about his impact when, in reality, he's never been anything more than a ~10pt, 10 minute a night guy. He does nothing to help this team, and I've always found it weird how much is made of a guy that's less effective than ZAR.
Well mate, has anyone else done jack shit on the VGK? Not really, a bunch of ghosts, whereas Reaves is just a 4th liner doing 4th liner things up to his best ability while wankers like Stone, Patches, Marchessault, Stastny, and others are doing absolutely nothing to further their playoff hopes. Or rather, the bare minimum, they look like the stunted offensive teams Pete coaches his teams into, under GG they were at least capable of scoring.

When your 4th liner is the only worth while story, that's a bad look. It's less an indictment on Reaves and more on VGK's stars disappearing when they need them the most.

We clearly see it differently.

Reactions: BHD

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Well mate, has anyone else done jack shit on the VGK? Not really, a bunch of ghosts, whereas Reaves is just a 4th liner doing 4th liner things up to his best ability while wankers like Stone, Patches, Marchessault, Stastny, and others are doing absolutely nothing to further their playoff hopes. Or rather, the bare minimum, they look like the stunted offensive teams Pete coaches his teams into, under GG they were at least capable of scoring.

When your 4th liner is the only worth while story, that's a bad look. It's less an indictment on Reaves and more on VGK's stars disappearing when they need them the most.

We clearly see it differently.
It's not just this year, Reaves has been the talk of the town since arriving in Vegas--Hell, since his days in St. Louis, but most especially since becoming a Golden Knight. It's weird. The dude's never been anything at all, genuinely has less of an impact on games than ZAR, but he gets all this airtime and press because he's part of a dying breed of player hockey culture just can't seem to let go of. That's what I find odd. The constant hyping up of some nobody because he hearkens back to some bygone era.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's not just this year, Reaves has been the talk of the town since arriving in Vegas--Hell, since his days in St. Louis, but most especially since becoming a Golden Knight. It's weird. The dude's never been anything at all, genuinely has less of an impact on games than ZAR, but he gets all this airtime and press because he's part of a dying breed of player hockey culture just can't seem to let go of. That's what I find odd. The constant hyping up of some nobody because he hearkens back to some bygone era.

It could also be that like in STL, the media, fans, and team mates all love Reaves and it's why he's discussed so much. Pens players all liked him too.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It could also be that like in STL, the media, fans, and team mates all love Reaves and it's why he's discussed so much. Pens players all liked him too.
Sid signed a stick for Sestito's kid and claimed he felt a foot taller with him in the lineup. Doesn't mean he was any good, or worth talking about like he was some game changer. :laugh: Reaves sucks and the way the media portrays him as some ace up the sleeve, secret weapon is more annoying than the constant Toews/intangibles crap.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sid signed a stick for Sestito's kid and claimed he felt a foot taller with him in the lineup. Doesn't mean he was any good, or worth talking about like he was some game changer. :laugh: Reaves sucks and the way the media portrays him as some ace up the sleeve, secret weapon is more annoying than the constant Toews/intangibles crap.
Mate, you're comparing a career AHL/Goon to a player like Reaves and I kind of now get why you have an issue with him. You're not capable of separating an Enforcer vs what Reaves is, which is more of a hybrid Enforcer/4th line grinder.

It's so inconsequential. I'm gonna leave you to it.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Mate, you're comparing a career AHL/Goon to a player like Reaves and I kind of now get why you have an issue with him. You're not capable of separating an Enforcer vs what Reaves is, which is more of a hybrid Enforcer/4th line grinder.

It's so inconsequential. I'm gonna leave you to it.
He's less of a 4th liner, impact-wise, than Zach Aston-Reese; A guy who is pretty universally thought of as an afterthought and non-entity when it comes to moving the needle for a team's chances at success. That's the reality. His notoriety and the reason he's employed is in being part of a bygone era of grunts, and some people just can't accept that they're useless and a waste of cap/roster space nowadays.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
I’m sure DeBoner is a big part of the problem, and I’m not looking up stats, but hasn’t Stone, Max, and to some extent Stastny had difficulty scoring in the playoffs during their careers? How much is Stone getting paid to pound on his chest and wear a mean mug? Karlsson had that huge first season but has been in decline mode ever since that. It seems like as soon as they face a team that can play good defense, it’s over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad