News Article: Around the NHL

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

RIP

Edmonton Oilers prospect, played mainly in AHL with Bakersfield Condors, had celluloid cyst removed from brain and had been in medically induced coma for most of this past week. (I think he'd been home in Toronto area)

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
It sucks that Athletic requires a paywall. I have been wanting to read some of their articles, but no way will i spend any money on a subscription.

Believe me, I feel the same way about paying for online content, but the Athletic is worth it. If you click around they usually offer deep discounts where you can sign up dirt cheap. I think I got a deal for 80% off the normal rate.

Reactions: sabresfan65

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Makes a lot of sense, there are many newer business-focused hotels near Rogers that are probably empty these days. Edmonton is an old-school downtown where nothing is open at 6pm unless there is a game going so easy enough to block off an area and not really impact the economy in its current shape. Vegas could be a good choice but then they would have to take one of the lower-end MGM properties offline and most are speculating the lower-end is what will mostly open first on the Strip. Not to mention I don't think the league wants Vegas fever to get into the players. Could do that in Staples Center too, but not sure if those hotels next to it have enough rooms to host 8 teams worth of players and support staff.

In any event glad the NHL is coming to its senses about not going to middle of nowhere locations. Players aren't going to be happy being locked down in a Super 8 in North Dakota. The arena provides better viewing for the fans and if things break right it can lead to some limited fans in the stands down the road.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Former Knight, Brendan Leipsic, has been put on waivers for contract termination by Washington Capitals after social media leak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad