Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

phosphene*

Feb 18, 2014
West Seneca
Kreider plays with more reckless abandon than Taylor Hall. He's injured at least 3 goalies crashing the net at full speed.

Last edited:

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@News1130Sports

Detroit News reporting Gordie Howe suffered a stroke Sunday. Has lost some function on one side of his body and has difficulty speaking.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@News1130Sports - Detroit News reporting Gordie Howe suffered a stroke Sunday.
Has lost some function on one side of his body and has difficulty speaking.

@DetroitRedWings - Our thoughts and prayers are with Gordie and the Howe family. Get well soon, Mr. Hockey.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...-gordie-howe-resting-serious-stroke/18079837/

@HeleneStJames - Just spoke with Mark Howe about Gordie. Told me, "We're keeping our fingers crossed. If anybody can recover, I know Dad can."

LaxSabre - Would be cool if someone "scored" a Gordie Howe Hat Trick tonight. Get well soon #9.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Ryan Miller wins #300 (29 saves) as the Canucks defeat the Canes 4-1. #30 becomes 30th NHL Goalie To Win 300 Games.
(Way to help us Rhyno - NOT! - kidding, congrats on win #300! - should have been there alot sooner but you had to go ahead and allow last minute goals either to lose games or to tie the game and then lose it in OT or SO. Probably had a dozen or more of those games happen throughout the years.)

@VanCanucks - @RyanMiller3039 on his 300th win - "Winning's fun... I'll enjoy this one with this group.
@VanCanucks - What does win #300 mean to Miller? - "That I've played a lot of hockey... with some good teams and players."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzvhTejWl8Y&feature=youtu.be

@VanCanucks - Learn about @RyanMiller3039's Steadfast Foundation - (@TheSteadfastFDN)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1fFnBmUEcE - #HockeyFightsCancer

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...-moore-and-kings--cap-planning-140423769.html

I usually hate Lambert, but he's spot on with this one. Especially the underlined part.

7. John Scott

So let's talk about the first of these suspensions that happened this week. Boy it seems like only yesterday we were talking about John Scott trying to kill Loui Eriksson on the ice with the qualifier, “But he's never done anything like this before! He's never even been suspended!†And now here we are about a year later and he's got two suspensions under his belt. Super-hard to believe that about a guy like Scott, isn't it?

The league didn't like Scott kinda-sorta leaving the bench to fight — they say it was a legal line change but not, like, super-legal — and so they suspended him two games.

Fair enough. That game was a mess and someone has to pay for it. Might as well be the guy who can barely skate, hey?

But then, as happens with just about any suspension for a borderline play, we had to sit through all the, “Well I disagree with the league's decision but I have to respect it,†pap we usually get. Scott blamed the referees, Scott blamed Tim Jackman. Scott questioned the league's mindset. Scott said he was just doing his job.

That's the thing, though, right? If John Scott's job is “come off the bench to fight someone after having already fought him,†then really, what purpose does Scott serve in this league? (Spoiler alert: No purpose.) Like, okay, the conventional wisdom on no-talent enforcers like Scott is that they “calm things down†and “prevent cheap play.†Watch that Anaheim/San Jose game and tell anyone, with a straight face, that Scott and equally useless Tim Jackman served as any kind of deterrent. That game was a mess and a disgrace. And only people as dumb as Jim Carr would continue to yell, “THIS IS HOCKEY!!!!†over the lowlights of that turdfest.

The fewer games John Scott plays in this league, the better off we all are. Period.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...-moore-and-kings--cap-planning-140423769.html

I usually hate Lambert, but he's spot on with this one. Especially the underlined part.
Lambert is a piece of **** walking #hottake that delegitimizes every single other writer under the Puck Daddy moniker and his "hurr durr ban enforcers" strawman isn't any better than the other garbage he's put out.

Scott's job exists because the league disciplinary office is an inconsistent, noncommunicative face, and to completely ignore the landscape within which teams are hiring enforcers just dumbs down the entire conversation.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Lambert is a piece of **** walking #hottake that delegitimizes every single other writer under the Puck Daddy moniker and his "hurr durr ban enforcers" strawman isn't any better than the other garbage he's put out.

Scott's job exists because the league disciplinary office is an inconsistent, noncommunicative face, and to completely ignore the landscape within which teams are hiring enforcers just dumbs down the entire conversation.

Well said. Lambert is terrible, fighting exists and will continue to in part because nobody trusts the refs to protect them, and while it goes in cycles, intimidation is a legitimate strategy. Obviously there's many other aspects to it, but Lambert brings literally nothing to the conversation about it.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

The problem I have with Lamberts article is that Scott truly didn't do anything. It begins and ends with a Legal line change. The reason that game was out of hand was Anaheim trying to send a message. Believe it or not Scott is not as terrible as everyone makes him out to be. He can play solid shifts, 20 minutes a night? No, 9-10 sure he plays a simple game. He is big so he crashes the board digs the puck and gives it to a defender or winger to get it out.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The problem I have with Lamberts article is that Scott truly didn't do anything. It begins and ends with a Legal line change. The reason that game was out of hand was Anaheim trying to send a message. Believe it or not Scott is not as terrible as everyone makes him out to be. He can play solid shifts, 20 minutes a night? No, 9-10 sure he plays a simple game. He is big so he crashes the board digs the puck and gives it to a defender or winger to get it out.

If a fighting major gets an automatic game misconduct ala the NCAA game, do you think John Scott gets a contract next season?

I don't think so.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
If a fighting major gets an automatic game misconduct ala the NCAA game, do you think John Scott gets a contract next season?

I don't think so.

You mean if there's a major rule change, people will build their rosters differently because of it? Shocking.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
John Moore suspended five games

[nhl]656886[/nhl]

New York Rangers defenseman John Moore has been suspended for five games, without pay, for an illegal check to the head of Minnesota Wild forward Erik Haula during NHL Game No. 122 in New York on Monday, October 27, the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today.

Moore is considered a repeat offender under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and, based on his average annual salary, will forfeit $51,859.75. The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

Moore was assessed a match penalty 7:12 into the second period

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

I don't think so.

I think he still would get a contract. You just won't see fighting until the third period. That rule seems idiotic because it would cause more of what Scott was involved in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad