Around the NHL XXXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I think anyone who is getting their hopes up about a new downtown arena in Ottawa based on the Calgary anouncement are just setting themselves up for disappointment.

The team is not leaving Kanata for a while. In fact, I'd say there's a much higher chance of Melnyk finding some sponsorship money to help renovate and update CTC than there is of us moving downtown any time soon.

The Lebreton bid was the only realistic chance of a downtown arena in the next decade, if not longer. We're in Kanata for the long haul, IMO.
For some reason I had hope thought cooler heads might prevail and things would finally work out, but nope. I'm not sure how long the NCC will wait around for a capable owner before they start building on the land that was designated for the arena.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It also is largely based on property tax revenue from what i understand. I suspect they could have generated similar or better incremental tax revenues through more efficient means but i am no expert.

This is a point that I made throughout last years debate on the arena....the city would have stood to earn significant property tax revenues on that deal

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
There is also potential revenue from the train if that ever goes online. 40+ home dates (two way trips) and additional events adds up $4/ride

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That is what, a 1% per year return on the investment? Honestly if you are looking for a financial win for taxpayers there are better ways to do it. You could turn 275 mil into 400 mil over 35 years by putting it into your savings account....

Idk, there is certainly room for public invesment if the community gets something in return, finding that balance is the key.

Better than paying the entire cost of the arena, and having a rich NHL owner get all the profits. Having any kind of positive return and ownership of the arena (do they still own the land too?) along with the ability to use the arena is a positive. Better deal for taxpayers than you see in many US cities. And yes, it could be better....but we all know rich people will never foot the entire cost for something like this if there's any way of weaseling out of it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This is a point that I made throughout last years debate on the arena....the city would have stood to earn significant property tax revenues on that deal

Sure, but no matter which proposal for Lebreton was accepted, significant property tax revenues could be expected. Going forward, whatever gets done there will likely yield significant property tax revenues, both direct and indirect.

I think there is room for the city to cut a deal, sure, but I think the city needs to keep in mind that other options that also provide significant benefits to residents would likely yield increased property tax revenues, so there's a lot to try to balance and digest. Watson was imo too hard lined against any public funds going towards the deal, but personally I'd be uneasy if we cut a deal like Calgary did.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
We had two groups who strongly implied if not outright stated they would build an arena without tax money. And then Ebenezer Melnyk happened. That was then followed up by the NCC being the NCC and not even bothering to see if the second proponent they approved was still interested. Got to love some of the big players in this city.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
We had two groups who strongly implied if not outright stated they would build an arena without tax money. And then Ebenezer Melnyk happened. That was then followed up by the NCC being the NCC and not even bothering to see if the second proponent they approved was still interested. Got to love some of the big players in this city.

I'm not saying that you're placing 100% of the blame of the failure of the Rendezvous Lebreton deal, on EM ........... but most people who post in here, lean that way.

EM had legitimate concerns about the long term financial viability of the entire development.......... yes, it was more than just an Arena, and not having a background in real estate development, he rightly or wrongly took the action that he did.

Reevely: Melnyk's right to be worried about financing LeBreton project with condos

LeBreton Flats Facts

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Gotta love what New Jersey has done this offseason. They obviously literally hit the lottery but the adds they made outside of Hughes are great. That team has huge upside. They could be a contender overnight. Maximizing the ELC years of their newly drafted #1 pick is something I love.

Reactions: BigRig4

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Short of making his own threads that he doesn’t need; big bad Dom Hasek is considering applying for president of CZ.

To be specific what he said was "Why not? I can imagine it." Presidential elections are two years away so it's not like it's anything particularly current. It's also worth noting that when he led the Czech team to the Olympic gold people shouted "Hašek na Hrad" (Hašek to the Castle, i.e. for president) in allusion to the cries of "Havel na Hrad" during the Velvet Revolution. The current president is pretty vocally opposed by large segments of the population and Hašek spoke at one of the recent anti-government protests, but he's a dumbass dipshit and wouldn't actually stand any real chance.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
To be specific what he said was "Why not? I can imagine it." Presidential elections are two years away so it's not like it's anything particularly current. It's also worth noting that when he led the Czech team to the Olympic gold people shouted "Hašek na Hrad" (Hašek to the Castle, i.e. for president) in allusion to the cries of "Havel na Hrad" during the Velvet Revolution. The current president is pretty vocally opposed by large segments of the population and Hašek spoke at one of the recent anti-government protests, but he's a dumbass dip**** and wouldn't actually stand any real chance.

Huh... I didn't realize that he meant everything in his post literally, so I was trying to decrypt what the joke was.

While I'd love to dive into this further, I think we can safely say that doing so would cross over the "no politics" rule we have on HF, but that's for providing the clarification on the backstory here without delving into actual political commentary.

I always liked Hasek, such an eccentric personality. Wish we had gotten a chance to see him in action as a Sen before(/instead of) the lockout.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
The no politics thing is because people are very emotionally invested in it and take things personally when calling out a person from the party they voted for.

How many of us are actually invested in Czech politics? You could have told me they are ruled by a Baron that still collects taxes by using a tax man walking a donkey with sacks full of gold and silver and I would have said "neato."

Reactions: BigRig4

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Dorion has outlasted Fenton by a good margin as a GM. Kinda funny. Fenton was always a sexy pick among HF too I’m kinda surprised how poor he did.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Dorion has outlasted Fenton by a good margin as a GM. Kinda funny. Fenton was always a sexy pick among HF too I’m kinda surprised how poor he did.
Do you think Dorion's track record would have lasted this long had he been hired in Minnesota instead of Ottawa? I guess given year 1's success, he obviously gets past the 14 month mark, but I doubt he gets that 3 year extension...

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Do you think Dorion's track record would have lasted this long had he been hired in Minnesota instead of Ottawa? I guess given year 1's success, he obviously gets past the 14 month mark, but I doubt he gets that 3 year extension...

I am not sure to be honest. I am curious of how he would do when given a different direction from ownership. I mean the guy isn’t very good dealing with the media, but he’s a tough person to gauge as GM knowing the directions he has been given.

Personally I am not a big fan of the guy, but I could see him maybe lasting longer than a year on Minny

Also I am not sure why Fenton was fired. From that one bad trade? I haven’t heard anything so far.

Reactions: senators101

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I am not sure to be honest. I am curious of how he would do when given a different direction from ownership. I mean the guy isn’t very good dealing with the media, but he’s a tough person to gauge as GM knowing the directions he has been given.

Personally I am not a big fan of the guy, but I could see him maybe lasting longer than a year on Minny

Also I am not sure why Fenton was fired. From that one bad trade? I haven’t heard anything so far.

That's fair. I was getting at his track record being a fire-able offense in any other org, but you're right that the constraints and direction given to him aren't like any other org. He likely makes different decisions in different circumstances.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Fenton had way too many stupid moves in a short period of time:

Drafting Johansson 1st round (wouldn't have touched him until the mid rounds at the earliest)
Granlund for Fiala
Niederreiter for Rask
Signing Zuccarello to a 30M/5YR deal when they should be rebuilding

Figured he'd be better at his job after being Poile's right-hand man for over a decade.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Hard pass on Fenton for POHO.

I might be able to look past his incompetence at his own job, but he also hired family & friends in Minnesota who clearly weren't qualified for their jobs (hired his son to be head scout despite lacking any real credentials for that job), then hired a bunch of ex-Oilers scouts to fill his staff based on his friendship with Chiarelli.

Just a full-stop no on my end.

Reactions: JungleBeat

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Hard pass on Fenton for POHO.

I might be able to look past his incompetence at his own job, but he also hired family & friends in Minnesota who clearly weren't qualified for their jobs (hired his son to be head scout despite lacking any real credentials for that job), then hired a bunch of ex-Oilers scouts to fill his staff based on his friendship with Chiarelli.

Just a full-stop no on my end.
I didn't know about the nepotism. That sucks.

Potvin it is! /s

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
I'm not saying that you're placing 100% of the blame of the failure of the Rendezvous Lebreton deal, on EM ........... but most people who post in here, lean that way.

EM had legitimate concerns about the long term financial viability of the entire development.......... yes, it was more than just an Arena, and not having a background in real estate development, he rightly or wrongly took the action that he did.

Reevely: Melnyk's right to be worried about financing LeBreton project with condos

LeBreton Flats Facts

I would have considered you credible, if not for citing blatant propaganda, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->