Around the NHL XXXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Really trying to let go and move on from Stone but seeing how happy he is in Vegas is a knife to the chest. I know it's better to not let things out of our control affect our wellbeing but it's damn hard.

Especially when you think about how amazing his line with Tkachuk would have been once Brady fully came into his own. Would have been a nightmare for every opponent.

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
Especially when you think about how amazing his line with Tkachuk would have been once Brady fully came into his own. Would have been a nightmare for every opponent.
I still fantasize about Tkachuk-White-Stone destroying the league in 2023.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
You're oversimplifying the situation. Stone left because he lost trust in the organisation and realized if he ever wanted to win, he needed to go elsewhere. The bonus money is secondary to that.
Why did he wait so late to say no deal then? If he didn’t want to stay he would have been dealt earlier .

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Why did he wait so late to say no deal then? If he didn’t want to stay he would have been dealt earlier .

Because he, like many fans, was still hoping the team might somehow prove to him they weren't totally incompetent, which they obviously failed to do.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Really trying to let go and move on from Stone but seeing how happy he is in Vegas is a knife to the chest. I know it's better to not let things out of our control affect our wellbeing but it's damn hard.

In the same boat here. I started following both the sharks and now golden knights on social media to keep track of two players who rightfully should be playing their whole careers in Ottawa. If you told a man in his mid-20s that you can sign for more money than you ever thought imaginable and get to play in Vegas AND start competing for a championship....would be over the moon. Now do that to an already hyped up guy like Stone who celebrated the same way in Ottawa....you get Vegas Stone. Wish nothing but the best for him (except this year....rooting for the sharks). He is undoubtedly going to be named the vegas captain next season and be the face of the franchise for next 8 years.

EDIT: while I reminisce about all that is great about Mark Stone, that OT winner against Pittsburgh has to be one of the franchise's greatest moments. Can make an argument about the season finale against Philly a few days later too, but with everything on the line and what it meant to get that extra point against the penguins, and to cap the comeback, it was only right that it was him. How he's still not here as Captain is up there with the biggest franchise blunders.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You're oversimplifying the situation. Stone left because he lost trust in the organisation and realized if he ever wanted to win, he needed to go elsewhere. The bonus money is secondary to that.
Its all a part of the giant shit show have going on...If EM really cared he would never have bridged Stone to begin with

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Because you get the best offer at the last minute. This is pretty basic stuff.

He would have liked to stay but needed to see Melnyk's absolute best. It was not enough, to nobody's surprise.

Reactions: coladin

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
With his injury history and now being out until the playoffs, are there still GMs who would be willing to give Karlsson an 8 x 11 deal (with whatever NMCs and signing bonuses Ottawa couldn't/wouldn't offer)?

I say probably, but the whole situation is starting to remind me of Josh Donaldson.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Flames were looking good last night. I don't know if they have what it takes to win it all, but they've got about as good a chance as ever.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
With his injury history and now being out until the playoffs, are there still GMs who would be willing to give Karlsson an 8 x 11 deal (with whatever NMCs and signing bonuses Ottawa couldn't/wouldn't offer)?

I say probably, but the whole situation is starting to remind me of Josh Donaldson.

Yes, a GM would 100 percent take that gamble. Even in a worst case scenario where Karlsson doesn't play in the playoffs, or plays hurt, someone would do it. It doesn't mean all 31 GMs would do that, but with 31 teams in the league there'll be at least a few who value taking the gamble of adding Karlsson without having to trade for him.

That doesn't mean Karlsson won't possibly take less to go to the right situation if offers are soft and he would rather go to a preferred destination for a bit less. Tavares went to Toronto for 11 million a season when San Jose was offering apparently around 13 million a season.

I'll be shocked if San Jose doesn't match/beat any offer out there as well. They have the 8th year too. Although, if San Jose cools off on extending Karlsson, that would say a lot about his potential physical condition. I just can't see it happening, they'll offer him 8 x 11 easily which means another team has to go up to 12.57 to match the overall money on a 7 year term.

Reactions: Silencio

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Not surprised duchene has ****ed up another team

Ultimate party crasher. He flew out of Ottawa laughing on a private jet knowing that sucker are born every minute.

All he wanted to do was make the playoffs. So happy he won’t

Reactions: Beville

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Getting traded to Columbus is going to end up costing Dzingel so much money this summer.

Yup

I really really wanted Donato for him

I like the deal we got but I'm also really glad Boston traded Donato for (lol) Coyle

Donato has 9 pts in 9 games since the trade.... Coyle has 1

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Getting traded to Columbus is going to end up costing Dzingel so much money this summer.

We should offer him a bloated 1 or 2 year contract if he hits free agency. Get more picks for him at the 2020 deadline, or keep him on an extension if his demands soften to what we were willing to offer him long term.

I'm sure every player was happy to get out of a rebuilding team with such acrimonious ownership, but I'd wonder if he'd come back for a 1 year deal at 7 or 8 million. If he fails to produce and plays minimal minutes in CBJ, and other teams are offering 4M with a 3-4 year term, that's a solid deal for him.

We apparently offered him 4 million or so per season. Not sure on the term. I think he'll get at least that in free agency because he still has a resume of being a shoe in to score 15-20 goals.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Two years ago, The Hockey News predicted what Vegas' roster would look like next season (19-20).

2020-VEG.jpg

Here's our roster next year.

2020-OTT.jpg

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
brassard is such a toxic player. just gave up on a play letting svechnikov get an empty netter.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Yup

I really really wanted Donato for him

I like the deal we got but I'm also really glad Boston traded Donato for (lol) Coyle

Donato has 9 pts in 9 games since the trade.... Coyle has 1
"Charlie Coyle is a really nice player" someone told me when that trade went down. It was obviously in Minnesota's favour at the time, now its brutal.

Also, really hoping the league makes an example of Rielly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad