Around the NHL XXXVI - Final Countdown: 2018 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Interesting they miss the 2020 draft (good for the Sens) .. according to Pierre McGuire the 2021 and 22 drafts are not supposed to be as strong. Also potential work stoppage in 2020. The extra year does make a difference on eligibility of players to be exposed though. Should be interesting again.

Assuming the same rules as last time, here's a rough guess at our protection list:

F
Duchene*
Stone*
Tkachuk
Batherson
White
Brown
Chlapik

Balcers* if Duchene/Stone are not on the team

D
Chabot
Lajoie
Jaros

G
Gustavsson

EDIT: Accidentally included Formenton when he will, in fact, be exempt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beville

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Can't wait to see who we'll lose in the expansion draft because we have to protect Ryan.

We don't have to protect him. His NMC has different writing in the terms. It only relates to him being sent to the minors. He did not have to waive to be left unprotected in the Vegas draft.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
We don't have to protect him. His NMC has different writing in the terms. It only relates to him being sent to the minors. He did not have to waive to be left unprotected in the Vegas draft.

We protected him last time around didn't we? I can't imagine why we would do that unless we had to. Maybe I'm mistaking him for Phaneuf.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
We protected him last time around didn't we? I can't imagine why we would do that unless we had to. Maybe I'm mistaking him for Phaneuf.

We did not protect Ryan, and Ryan openly admitted Vegas probably wasn't taking his contract.

You are probably thinking of Phaneuf who we asked to waive, but he wouldn't do it so we had to protect him. That was probably a contributing factor to us basically giving him away, he has a NMC. Although, LAK lucked out since the draft won't be until 2021.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Assuming the same rules as last time, here's a rough guess at our protection list:

F
Duchene*
Stone*
Tkachuk
Batherson
White
Brown
Formenton

Chlapik* if Duchene/Stone is not on the team
Balcers* if Duchene and Stone are not on the team

D
Chabot
Lajoie
Jaros

G
Gustavsson

(switch 2017-18 to 2021-22)
I wonder at the end of the ELCs we give a bunch of short term NMC contracts to guys coming off their ELCs opening up other opportunities to have players available to be selected. Still have to meet the minimum requirements though (assuming they stay the same)... Not sure if we can circumvent anything by doing this.

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.
ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.
iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
This is interesting.... they don't get a cut of the expansion money but it feels like one hell of an advantage:

We did not protect Ryan, and Ryan openly admitted Vegas probably wasn't taking his contract.

You are probably thinking of Phaneuf who we asked to waive, but he wouldn't do it so we had to protect him. That was probably a contributing factor to us basically giving him away, he has a NMC. Although, LAK lucked out since the draft won't be until 2021.

If all goes well, Ryan may actually be appealing to Seattle. He will be entering the last season of his contract and, depending on who else is available, he may be useful in helping them reach the cap floor. If he can stay healthy and play at a 50 point pace AND we don't have anyone young and especially valuable exposed (most important factor by far), I could see them taking him.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I think there'll be less teams caught off guard this expansion draft.

I also think there'll be less interest in making moves to hedge against the draft, since Vegas won so many of those the last time around. That includes selling low on a player to Vegas who are exempt, and not just making side deals with Seattle.

Seattle is in a bad spot, because expectations are going to be unrealistically high because of Vegas. They won't have the same element of the unknown that Vegas was able to take advantage of. GMs have been loosely aware of the Seattle draft for much longer than with Vegas, and they have the historical context of the Vegas draft to study and base their moves on. Seattle isn't going to get the generous side deals Vegas did.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
This is interesting.... they don't get a cut of the expansion money but it feels like one hell of an advantage:

What a fail by NHL.
They could've easily added a condition for Vegas about winning the division or the conference before the Seattle expansion so they don't look like morons with that exemption today.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

F
Duchene*
Stone*
Tkachuk
Batherson
White
Brown
Chlapik

Balcers* if Duchene/Stone are not on the team

D
Chabot
Lajoie
Jaros

G
Gustavsson

EDIT: Accidentally included Formenton when he will, in fact, be exempt.
Or Wolanin instead of Jaros, or Dzingel instead of Chlapik/Brown. I was wondering about sending Formenton back to Junior to avoid the expansion draft but then everyone was reporting 2020 start date. Either way good move by Dorion.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I wish we had someone like Reaves on our 4th line.

Same.

Reaves absolutely killed us when we played Vegas this year. They're all forechecking hard and skating. Carrier and Reaves are wrecking balls out there they're fun to watch. Probably the best 4rth line in the NHL right now.

Reactions: Deku

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Same.

Reaves absolutely killed us when we played Vegas this year. They're all forechecking hard and skating. Carrier and Reaves are wrecking balls out there they're fun to watch. Probably the best 4rth line in the NHL right now.
I wanna give Nick Paul bath salts before every game and let him go ham. Dude is actually a monster. If we could put McCormick's brain in his body that would be extremely entertaining.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Has anyone seen Adin Hill in the NHL yet? I've seen him play two games and he's given up 1 goal but its so hard to evaluate goalies off of a short sample size (especially in a new league and with one game coming against the Kings, lol).

Anyone have a read on this kid? He seems like he could be the real deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad