Around the NHL XXXVI - Final Countdown: 2018 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Well I'll actually say wait until we see what happens, but what's the fun in that.

If you see some trial balloons floated by the org that signing bonuses aren't possible, then some distancing quotes about Stone/Duchene, you know whats coming.

Reactions: Sun God Nika

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
fair deal. will be interesting to see what marner/matthews gets. I think they will eventually have to move out nylander to fit the rest in.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
why this bonus structure for a non-superstar player?
Makes him eminently tradeable. Overpay in signing bonuses, and the player's value goes up for every non-cap team. It's basically circumvention of the retention clauses, retaining dollars without hurting your cap.

Reactions: Lilou and DrEasy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not a fan, eh? I have never been impressed but also don't know him too well. What are your thoughts on him?

He has skill but isn’t cut for the NHL, he’s like a poor man’s Galchenyuk without the puck and isn’t good enough offensively (like let’s say Hoffman) to offset it. He misses assignments all the time and his effort is widely inconsistent. He is not a great skater, is a poor competitor so if he isn’t in the top-6 he won’t be in bot-6 because his defensive game just doesn’t cut it

Sens have a lot of better options. Maybe a team with a severe offensive lack of depth could give him a try but personally I don’t see him as a regular NHL player

Reactions: TheBradyBunch

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Here's hoping that Nylander contract turns into an anchor for the leafs.

BobbyRyan

Apr 11, 2016

Not likely, unfortunately.

Even if Nylander, who's only 22, remains what he has been for the last two seasons (a 60 point winger), 6.9 m is fair value. As the cap rises and Nylander likely improves, the contract will probably look better and better as the years pass.

Marleau's contract could hurt them next season, though, if he doesn't waive his NMC. He has a signing bonus coming out July 1st, and I believe only $1m in actual salary, so if he waives his NMC they might be able to dump that contract as well.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Not likely, unfortunately.

Even if Nylander, who's only 22, remains what he has been for the last two seasons (a 60 point winger), 6.9 m is fair value. As the cap rises and Nylander likely improves, the contract will probably look better and better as the years pass.

Marleau's contract could hurt them next season, though, if he doesn't waive his NMC. He has a signing bonus coming out July 1st, and I believe only $1m in actual salary, so if he waives his NMC they might be able to dump that contract as well.

And as mentioned above, the way Willy's contract is structured will make it super easy to trade him in the next 4-5 years as most of the money is in signing bonuses. Toronto has a giant advantage over many teams in the league with their unlimited funds outside of the cap.

This truly is cap circumvention imo, and proves that the last lockout changed nothing. We're heading towards another one at a breakneck pace thanks to the richer teams.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
These new bonus style contracts will be a huge disadvantage to Ottawa who is already at a big disadvantage as a cap team

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011

The cap hit and term goes right in line with what I thought he should get so unless he regresses, I don't think there will be a problem with this contract for Toronto. It's also easily tradeable as others have mentioned.

This is a great chance for Toronto this season because Matthews and Marner are on their entry level deals. They'll find a way to make it work in keeping their core group together beyond this year [although I'm hoping Matthews and Marner look to get every last penny] but there will be some casualties along the way.

They're going the way of the Penguins where they pay a large percentage of their cap to a small group of players. When Pittsburgh won the Cup in 2015/16, the spent around 53% of the cap on 5 players [Malkin, Crosby, Letang, Kessel and Fleury].

If I project the cap to be at 82M next year and project Matthews and Marner to make a combined 22M per year, that would mean those 2, plus Nylander, Tavares, and Marleau are taking up around 56% of the cap. It's higher than Pittsburgh's 5, but not excessively so, and after next year it'll be more reasonable with Marleau off the books and the cap likely continuing to go up.

Finding a way to get rid of Marleau next season would be huge. Otherwise, in looking at the other contracts already signed for next year [and assuming Matthews and Marner get huge contracts], they won't have much money to spend with a lot of unsigned players: UFAs- Gardiner, Hainsey, Marincin, Lindholm and Ennis. RFAs- Kapanen, Johnsson, Leivo, Ozhiganov, and Sparks.

They are definitely going to be losing some players over the next few years to make it work, just like how Chicago lost a lot of good players to maintain their core group. One thing they have going for them is 3 very good contracts- Rielly, Andersen and Kadri make a combined 14.5M and they're all signed for at least 2 year after this one. I'd guess they'd combine to make 20M+ if they got new contracts today.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Leafs have been doing fine without Nylander, would be kind of funny to see a "more is less" situation where his addition now suddenly throws a wrench in their chemistry.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Leafs have been doing fine without Nylander, would be kind of funny to see a "more is less" situation where his addition now suddenly throws a wrench in their chemistry.

Pretty sure that exact thing will happen. As much as Willy practiced and trained hard, it isn't the same as playing real games. Walking into that room, having to readjust the lineup and the time for him to get up to speed will shake up the room a fair bit.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Pretty sure that exact thing will happen. As much as Willy practiced and trained hard, it isn't the same as playing real games. Walking into that room, having to readjust the lineup and the time for him to get up to speed will shake up the room a fair bit.

Plus you know it'll only take a string of losses for the whole TO media moloch machine to go into panic mode

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

He'll probably be fine, but there's only so many goals a team can realistically score.

He'll come into the lineup and vulture points from someone else. Leafs aren't really going to score all that many more goals than they already are, it's just going to get redistributed.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
These new bonus style contracts will be a huge disadvantage to Ottawa who is already at a big disadvantage as a cap team

As it is for all small market teams, and needs to be addressed in the next CBA, othewise there will be a two tier NHL.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
According to Lebrun, Nylander's holdout essentially earned him between 3M-6M on his contract. The Leafs starting point was 6x6, earlier in the season they came up to 6.5.

It's funny, because this really is not that egregious of a contract. It's less of a percentage of the cap than what a lot of high end young players have been getting for years. When Edmonton signed their guys to those matching 6M per contracts, they were getting between 9.33 and 10 percent of the cap. That's mid to high 7's right now.

I think both sides deserve props for dragging this out and trying to get the best deal. While I don't think a shade under 7M on a 6 year term is bad for Nylander, it'd be foolish for a team to just cave when they have the ability (not needing him for wins early in the season) to win without him until December, and it'd be foolish for Nylander to leave 6 million dollars on the table just so the Leafs can hand it to Marner or Matthews.

I'm still disappointed that my 40 Brett Pesce rookie cards are not going to go up in value, but it was a good calculated risk to take. Does anybody want to buy 40 Brett Pesce rookie cards?

The structure of the deal is smart in that it allows the Leafs to possibly trade Nylander to a budget team like Carolina (Maybe I should hold on to those Pesce cards?) after the signing bonus is paid out. It was extremely obvious that there was going to be some sort of conclusion, whether that be a trade or an extension. As long as Nylander doesn't fall off a cliff this season, the Leafs could craft a situation where they get him as a "rental" for 1 year, and trade him in the off season anyways for a similar package to what they would have received.

I was skeptical of the egghead Dubas, but the Leafs did okay here. Although, I look forward to Matthews and Marner tearing it up at just the right time and ruining their cap structure next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->