Around the NHL XXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

R2010

May 23, 2011
I wanted Dobson, I'm still a huge fan. There is no coincidence why the Q won the mémorial cup 2 years in a row. He is a huge factor.
Our 1st pairing of the futur would have been set for at least a decade with him and Chabot.

Maybe at 4th overall, it was a big reach to select him. Tkachuk was kind of the easy choice at 4th and a good choice, also. I just loved Dobson way of playing the game. He would probably be our best defensive defenseman already. That with his offensive game, would complimented greatly Chabot.

A big reach?

Bob's final list
"6. Noah Dobson. The big 6-foot-3 defenceman from the Acadie–Bathurst Titan played so well and so long in leading his team to the Memorial Cup title. Dobson is a strong skater with a high degree of creativity, vision and offensive prowess. Scouts feel we’re only seeing the tip of the iceberg here. Worth noting: Four of 10 scouts surveyed by TSN have Dobson in their top five."

My biggest regret is we didn't offer Ceci + our (2nd) 1st in 2018 to move up to grab him. Edmonton was looking for a RD at the time...

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
A big reach?

Bob's final list
"6. Noah Dobson. The big 6-foot-3 defenceman from the Acadie–Bathurst Titan played so well and so long in leading his team to the Memorial Cup title. Dobson is a strong skater with a high degree of creativity, vision and offensive prowess. Scouts feel we’re only seeing the tip of the iceberg here. Worth noting: Four of 10 scouts surveyed by TSN have Dobson in their top five."

My biggest regret is we didn't offer Ceci + our (2nd) 1st in 2018 to move up to grab him. Edmonton was looking for a RD at the time...

Dobson would have been a great pick at 4 as well. I slightly favoured Tkachuk because of his uniqueness, but I would have been very happy with Dobson. I'd gladly package Brannstrom and something else most would think is too much for Dobson

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Kakko with his first NHL goal. Nice feed by Strome and nice finish.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
They also traded Zaitzev, who, for al, of his warts, is at the very least an AVERAGE defender, in exchange for Ceci, who was never good defensively, and then got objectively worse under Boucher's insistence on turning him into a shutdown defender in a system that he could never fully adapt to.
Their not stuck with Zaitsev or Ceci after this season though.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Mind boggling.... How come St-Louis didn't contest Montreal's 5th goal? Even Stephane Auger think it was GI...

It's like they want to lose lol. I mean it was 4-3 with less than 8 minutes left, so now 5-3 game over. Weird

But I almost want the Habs to make the playoffs. Don't want them to get a top-12 pick this year.

Last edited:

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Lucic must be the most washed up player in the league. I still can't believe Calgary let their biggest rival out of that contract.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
So was it made clear if the trade for Brannstrom and a second was only for a signed Stone?

Allegedly so.

Ottawa asked for Glass, and Vegas said he was off the table.

Ottawa asks for Brannstrom, and Vegas insists on an extension.

Ottawa asks for a 1st + Brannstrom and Vegas counters with a 2nd but Stone must be signed.

Ottawa says they will circle back if no other offer beats it.

Pierre LeBrun writes:
According to sources familiar with how it all went down on Monday, the Golden Knights and Senators agreed to the trade parameters around 2:15 p.m. ET, or about 45 minutes prior to the deadline. Except the Knights weren’t going to sign off on the trade unless they had an agreement in principle on an extension with Stone… Around 2:20 p.m. ET, Vegas made an offer which was rejected by Newport but the agency made a counter-offer while both sides remained on the phone hashing it all out in real time.​

Reactions: Pierre in Orleans

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
There was talk that GMGM agreed to a trade and then decided that Stone had to be signed or else no deal, I believe that was reported by Lebrun.

He also made it sound like this was GMGM getting back at Dorion for jerking him around since the thought he got Karlsson but Dorion walked it back on two separate occasions.

Just like Gorton correctly identified how badly Dorion wanted Brassard/to save money, GMGM knew he had the best offer for Stone and he knew he could bleed Dorion dry. We aren't the only ones who know how Dorion has no maneuvering room. We like to crap on Dorion for bad deals but, in a trade, there is another party who can exercise their leverage and since Dorion is all alone (no administrative support, no money and a meddling owner) he is an easy prey.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I just had the most sickening thought...

What if this years nominees for the Hart trophy are as follows;

Mark Stone, Matt Duchene, Erik Karlsson

There’s a legitimate possibility all three have career years this season.

Like - collectively as fans, what did we do to deserve this? What did we all do as a group in a past life? This is torture.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Did they actually play well?

I didn't watch, but they were outshot 33-20.
I watched the whole game, Calgary definitely outplayed them. But there's just too many guys that can put the puck in the net on San Jose for them not to at least be a middle of the pack team.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I just had the most sickening thought...

What if this years nominees for the Hart trophy are as follows;

Mark Stone, Matt Duchene, Erik Karlsson

There’s a legitimate possibility all three have career years this season.

Like - collectively as fans, what did we do to deserve this? What did we all do as a group in a past life? This is torture.
I’m not seeing anything to suggest Karlsson or Duchene would have a career year this year. Karlsson especially. Why do you think that? Just curious.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I am impressed with Brannstrom's defensive play. I guess we all assumed he was going to be some slick offensive defenseman in the mold of a Karlsson but I would argue that he is probably our second best defenseman in the defensive zone.

Edit: wrong thread, should be in the GDT.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Looks like Stone is on his way to another good season.

4 goals, 5 assists and 9 points in 6 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad