Around the NHL XXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa

Carter Hart is going to be the best goalie in the NHL for the next 15 years. Plus he’s only 21 years old. Insane save last night.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
both had great rookie seasons and seem to have taken another step forward. yet to see that from Tkachuk.

Tkachuk doesn't have a ton of help on this roster, but that's also what makes Svechnikov's start all the more impressive. The guy plays on the 2nd (honestly looks like more of a 3rd line without Svech) with Jordan Staal and Brock McGinn and also doesn't get the benefit of playing on the top PP unit with Aho and yet he's STILL producing at a PPG+ rate.

He's big, he's fairly physical for a big guy, he sees the ice so well for a guy that was labelled as more of a shooter coming out of junior. He's just genuinely a jot to watch. I've been beating the drum for this guy for a long time and it's nice to see him taking another step this year.

The 2018 draft will always be known as the year Dahlin got taken cause that kid id going to be an absolutely generational defensive talent, but I really think Svech will start to pull away from the rest of the forwards to be considered "The offensive guy" from that draft.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Tkachuk doesn't have a ton of help on this roster, but that's also what makes Svechnikov's start all the more impressive. The guy plays on the 2nd (honestly looks like more of a 3rd line without Svech) with Jordan Staal and Brock McGinn and also doesn't get the benefit of playing on the top PP unit with Aho and yet he's STILL producing at a PPG+ rate.

He's big, he's fairly physical for a big guy, he sees the ice so well for a guy that was labelled as more of a shooter coming out of junior. He's just genuinely a jot to watch. I've been beating the drum for this guy for a long time and it's nice to see him taking another step this year.

The 2018 draft will always be known as the year Dahlin got taken cause that kid id going to be an absolutely generational defensive talent, but I really think Svech will start to pull away from the rest of the forwards to be considered "The offensive guy" from that draft.
Canes run their PP extremely weird.

Their 2nd unit is better than their 1st.

Nino-Staal-Necas
Gardiner-Aho.

vs.

Dzingel-Haula-Svechnikov
Hamilton-Teravainen

Teravinen is very clearly their 2nd best forward, and then 3/4 of their most dangerous forwards are on the 2nd unit.

That will be fixed in the coming games, can’t see them wasting Aho like that. He or TT will move back to the half wall.

Reactions: stempniaksen

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Canes run their PP extremely weird.

Their 2nd unit is better than their 1st.

Nino-Staal-Necas
Gardiner-Aho.

vs.

Dzingel-Haula-Svechnikov
Hamilton-Teravainen

Teravinen is very clearly their 2nd best forward, and then 3/4 of their most dangerous forwards are on the 2nd unit.

That will be fixed in the coming games, can’t see them wasting Aho like that. He or TT will move back to the half wall.
Maybe it depends on which defenders are placed on the ice. Putting your best unit out there with the oppositions second PK unit isn't such a bad idea.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
Well, you can't plan for freak injuries.

I don't see how you can either praise or condemn New Jersey or Vancouver for not having the ability to predict the future regarding something that was entirely unpredictable.
Oh, I'm not. I just find it funny that in hindsight, a trade that was rightly condemned by nearly everyone turned out out to be no where near as bad as we thought.

Reactions: BonkTastic

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Our forward group would be even worse and even further away from being any good than it is now.

Quinn Hughes would facilitate the offense more anyway. He has has elite skill in a way Brady will never have.

Besides we're gonna draft top 5 for the next 3 or so years anyway and the next few drafts seem super forward heavy.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Too bad the Hawks are starting Crawford tonight. Sharks should get their first win lol

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Quinn Hughes would facilitate the offense more anyway. He has has elite skill in a way Brady will never have.

Besides we're gonna draft top 5 for the next 3 or so years anyway and the next few drafts seem super forward heavy.

I don't think the goal is to draft top 5 three years in a row though.

We couldn't even afford to keep those 3 top 5 picks :laugh:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Forget Hughes, I'm still pissed we passed on Dobson.

Chabot - Dobson could have been the top D pairing in the league for the next 10 years.

Actually pissed is too strong of a word. Brady has been awesome for us, I just don't think he ends up being the 4th best player from the draft 10YRs down the road.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Maybe it depends on which defenders are placed on the ice. Putting your best unit out there with the oppositions second PK unit isn't such a bad idea.
Then you should have your best player on the second unit. They have Aho QBing the 1st unit without Teravainen, Svechnikov, Hamilton or Dzingel. Doesn’t make much sense.

I don’t agree with that either, put your top unit out first for 1:20 and the 2nd out for the ending, regardless of the unit your facing.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Forget Hughes, I'm still pissed we passed on Dobson.

Chabot - Dobson could have been the top D pairing in the league for the next 10 years.

Actually pissed is too strong of a word. Brady has been awesome for us, I just don't think he ends up being the 4th best player from the draft 10YRs down the road.
Yeah, Dobson is my biggest regret/want. What a monster.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
And Svechnikov has 6 in 4 games.

I'm obviously still (very) happy we got Tkachuk, but I think Dahlin and Svechnikov (Dahlin especially) will show people why they were viewed as the consensus 1/2 picks. Both of these guys are primed for a BIG step forward on really talented young teams. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dahlin flirt with 60 points and Svechnikov to flirt with PPG this upcoming season.
You set XSpirit off you better give HF db admins a heads up

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah, Dobson is my biggest regret/want. What a monster.
He’s going to be a very, very good and cerebral D. If he went to a worse team where he’d be getting more ice time we would be hearing much more about him. The Isles are going to need to make a trade to open up more ice for him. They had to healthy Boychuk (old and on big downswing, would likely be our 2nd best D) to get him into the lineup.

Getting out of his contract will be tricky, but that’s what they need to do.

Reactions: Viletho

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
He’s going to be a very, very good and cerebral D. If he went to a worse team where he’d be getting more ice time we would be hearing much more about him. The Isles are going to need to make a trade to open up more ice for him. They had to healthy Boychuk (old and on big downswing, would likely be our 2nd best D) to get him into the lineup.

I wanted Dobson, I'm still a huge fan. There is no coincidence why the Q won the mémorial cup 2 years in a row. He is a huge factor.
Our 1st pairing of the futur would have been set for at least a decade with him and Chabot.

Maybe at 4th overall, it was a big reach to select him. Tkachuk was kind of the easy choice at 4th and a good choice, also. I just loved Dobson way of playing the game. He would probably be our best defensive defenseman already. That with his offensive game, would complimented greatly Chabot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad