Around the NHL XXXIII - looking forward to 2018 offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
damn im gonna miss the Sedins. the 2010-11 playoffs were one of my favourite hockey moments haven't cheered so hard for a team that wasn't ottawa ever in my life.

Wish Alfredsson had a send off like that but Melnyk....

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Colorado gets Hammond and a 3rd round pick to take him off our hands. Could have been conditional. A lower pick perhaps if he plays... Maybe even something coming back our way

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

Giroux had an incredible season but when I watch the Flyers vs when I watch the Avs or Devils, I see a team that does it much more by committee. All of them are deserving but Mackinnon and especially Hall carried their teams to an insane degree this year, at least when I was watching.

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
This is the most excited I've been for a Sens-less (heh) post-season in a LONG time.

PIT-PHI, the TBL, NSH, and WPG juggernauts, potentially a BOS-TOR match-up...

On paper, these are some of the best post-lockout teams we've seen.

Too bad we can't be a part of it, but damn it's good to have the playoffs back!

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Going to be a fun playoffs I think. Completely wide open too.

As to the Sedins the league is less without them now, all the best to them in their retirement.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'd love to see PIT do a threepeat but at the same time we need their pick to be as low as possible.

Here's to hoping they get bounced in the second round (so we need Washington to lose in round 1 haha)

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I think it would be cool to see the Penguins win again because it would shut up a lot of the History of Hockey people who worship days gone by when competition sucked and the stars could easily exploit it.

Now guys like Crosby, Ovechkin compare rather poorly to past greats because they have played with tougher competition their entire careers.

The league has expanded by 1 team in their careers. Compare that to any other great who saw muli team expansions.
The bottom half of any NHL roster is magnitudes better than it was even in the 90s leading up to the first lockout.
Coaching is more systematic than ever and all about playing as groups rather than letting individuals dominate a less organized opposition.
Combine that with increased sports science and training... and everyone has closed the gap on natural talent like Crosby and Ovechkin (and others).

So that's why to me a three peat would be more impressive. Another Conn Smythe for Crosby would be impressive. I don't really like Crosby much but I dislike this concept that's just taken for granted and never challenged on the main boards of "oh suddenly there just stopped being great players like Lemieux, Gretzky, Orr around the time of the lockout".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad