Around the NHL XXXII: P. Kane Under Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
FWIW Kane and a buddy of his beat up a cab driver over something like 20 cents a few years ago. A couple years later he was accused of choking a woman. One of his main problems in the past---he'd go home when the year was done--hook up with some of his buddies and they'd all enable each other and act like they owned the universe. When the season is over for Mr. Kane it's party time and it's about past time he begins getting his act together. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's done what this accusation says he did. I just hope it isn't true. Blaming the woman though--not knowing a thing about her seems like the wrong tack. I suppose it is possible that she's gold digging but it's more than probable that Kane when he's not playing hockey is a classic example of an immature jerk. There is a little bit of history with Mr. Kane anyway. He continues to get in these off ice situations so why make excuses for him?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
A criminal case doesn't preclude a civil case later, but I don't know the story behind those other instances; I don't follow basketball or football.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
He continues to get in these off ice situations so why make excuses for him?

Because although we have access to more information than ever before, and although this information has supposedly made us less naïve and so enlightened, at most people's hearts they are still fans and they still want to seek heroes. It's why popular figures will always have the benefit of the doubt, probably to their own detriment.

As for Kane, I don't know one or the other. I will neither condone nor condemn him at this point. However, I will say that he may need to reconsider the company he keeps and the activities he chooses to partake in.

On that note (and somewhat separate from Kane) - when I was 19, I landed an internship with the NY Rangers that lead to a very successful career in and around the sport. That was nearly 20 years ago and my career has given me many wonderful and not so wonderful experiences. It's afforded me opportunities in other industries that I might not have received otherwise. But I will admit that I do see a change in the sport, I do see a difference in the generations and it's not just because I'm getting older.

I see a lot of young players in the sport, and in other occupations, who want to continue the teenage/frat boy mentality into their late 20s and even their 30s. In most cases, they are surrounded by enablers, and not just enablers in the usual sense of hangers on, in some cases it's their families. Hockey, which has typically been more "mild" when compared to a lot of other sports, is seeing the result of this as well.

Players have and always will party. That's not going to change. But behind the scenes, a lot of guys are doing some stuff that was unthinkable even just 20 years ago. In some cases it's not just a matter of "boys being boys". Some of these guys, in different sports, do some downright sociopathic stuff. And I'll say this much, the league knows it and is just waiting for that one story that really opens up Pandora's Box.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Because although we have access to more information than ever before, and although this information has supposedly made us less naïve and so enlightened, at most people's hearts they are still fans and they still want to seek heroes. It's why popular figures will always have the benefit of the doubt, probably to their own detriment.

As for Kane, I don't know one or the other. I will neither condone nor condemn him at this point. However, I will say that he may need to reconsider the company he keeps and the activities he chooses to partake in.

On that note (and somewhat separate from Kane) - when I was 19, I landed an internship with the NY Rangers that lead to a very successful career in and around the sport. That was nearly 20 years ago and my career has given me many wonderful and not so wonderful experiences. It's afforded me opportunities in other industries that I might not have received otherwise. But I will admit that I do see a change in the sport, I do see a difference in the generations and it's not just because I'm getting older.

I see a lot of young players in the sport, and in other occupations, who want to continue the teenage/frat boy mentality into their late 20s and even their 30s. In most cases, they are surrounded by enablers, and not just enablers in the usual sense of hangers on, in some cases it's their families. Hockey, which has typically been more "mild" when compared to a lot of other sports, is seeing the result of this as well.

Players have and always will party. That's not going to change. But behind the scenes, a lot of guys are doing some stuff that was unthinkable even just 20 years ago. In some cases it's not just a matter of "boys being boys". Some of these guys, in different sports, do some downright sociopathic stuff. And I'll say this much, the league knows it and is just waiting for that one story that really opens up Pandora's Box.

It is one of the things that turned people off on Lindros. There were some off ice incidents with him but nothing of great magnitude at least that I know of. His father had a bad influence on him. I remember Patrick Sullivan getting a restraining order for his own dad and then there's Jack Johnson's parents particularly his father. High school and college buddies can be just as bad. I get what you're saying.

I'm not really much of a cop or law and order person but rape is a pretty heinous thing and if it is true (and I hope it isn't) then the law coming down on Kane like a ton of bricks would be appropriate. These are the kind of things that can poison the lives of the victims. No one has the right to destroy someone else's life for their own aggrandizement. Because you are a celebrity should not get you special treatment--though quite often it does. Kane needs to get control of his life off the ice. These events in his life need to come to an end. He's not the only stud hockey player out there but he more than any other has found himself in more of these situations than any I can think of--at least hockey players.

I'm a big fan of certain players but I don't raise people up on pedestals--not ones I don't personally know anyway. People are people and there are no perfect ones. Generally the rule of 'doing no harm' should apply to everyone.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
In the 80s and early 90s, the NHL, like a lot of sports, had players who did cocaine. It wasn't what must would consider an epidemic, but it wasn't terribly uncommon either. The guys, typically between 18 and 25, played hard and partied hard. But they also grew up and held each other accountable.

You see significantly less than that now on a lot of clubs. Probably more than ever you see cliques and smaller groups and a lot of things that would've landed you an ass kicking from your teammates is now just kind of "ghosted" out. If you were a player approaching 30, you hung out with your younger teammates, but you served as more of a big brother. Now, you see a player approaching 30 and it's hard to tell them apart from the 21 or 22 year old.

I have to admit, it's becoming a little more prevalent every year and it's concerning. Not because players shouldn't have fun, but they need to be responsible and mature about the fun they have. If for no other reason, then for their own safety - they're easy targets.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
In the 80s and early 90s, the NHL, like a lot of sports, had players who did cocaine. It wasn't what must would consider an epidemic, but it wasn't terribly uncommon either. The guys, typically between 18 and 25, played hard and partied hard. But they also grew up and held each other accountable.

You see significantly less than that now on a lot of clubs. Probably more than ever you see cliques and smaller groups and a lot of things that would've landed you an ass kicking from your teammates is now just kind of "ghosted" out. If you were a player approaching 30, you hung out with your younger teammates, but you served as more of a big brother. Now, you see a player approaching 30 and it's hard to tell them apart from the 21 or 22 year old.

I have to admit, it's becoming a little more prevalent every year and it's concerning. Not because players shouldn't have fun, but they need to be responsible and mature about the fun they have. If for no other reason, then for their own safety - they're easy targets.

I don't really care about cocaine or marijuana or even getting drunk now and again. In the recreational leagues I played in we almost always went to a bar afterwards. A short digression/rant--speaking of marijuana as far as I'm concerned it should be legalized at least recreationally depending on voter ratification from state to state but should be legalized across the board for medical purposes. It's astounding to me that tobacco that has led to countless millions of deaths is totally legal and marijuana which has some real medicinal qualities and is used in many places to fight cancer has been illegal for so long and is still illegal even for medical purposes in many states.

Back on topic--I don't expect players to be saints. Guys are going to be guys. But as in anything there are certain lines that should not be crossed--by anyone. In the end it's a game--and just something that some people are better at than others. We can think they're special because of it--but all people are special in their own way.

You would think the Chicago team would have enough of a leadership structure. Apparently not. The quality of the people you bring to your organization reflects on your organization. That's supposed to be one of the purposes (at least for the Rangers) of the pre draft interviews. I'm kind of remembering the fuss made over the Rangers not wanting Robbie Schremp. OTOH we also employed Billy Tibbetts for a while.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
You would think the Chicago team would have enough of a leadership structure. Apparently not. The quality of the people you bring to your organization reflects on your organization. That's supposed to be one of the purposes (at least for the Rangers) of the pre draft interviews. I'm kind of remembering the fuss made over the Rangers not wanting Robbie Schremp. OTOH we also employed Billy Tibbetts for a while.

I think three things have helped keep Kane from feeling the heat to this point:

His team is winning and winning will always overshadow most transgressions.

Toews is generally seen as a "classy" player and so that draws a lot of positive attention.

As a society we tend to view anyone under the age of 30 as a "kid." I don't agree with that assessment, but you have a lot of people who seem to think "he/she is young and will learn" applies to a pretty broad range of stupidity and extends long past the expiration date of someone's early 20s. Lower that expectation and the person you're applying it to usually adjusts accordingly.

From a marketing standpoint, I'd be curious to hear the conversations EA is having right about now.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Does anyone know exactly what the accusation was? I get that it's rape, but nowadays there's whole list of things that could mean.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
sGl6fta.jpg

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The girl in Vegas made a rape allegation against Rothelisberger. You don't believe the police made an inquiry in that case. He paid that girl to get away.

But Croce told The News that he and several of his employees noticed a young woman “hanging all over” Kane at SkyBar for at least two hours that night, putting her hands on his arms and “being very forward, very flirtatious with him.” He said he does not know the woman and does not know her name.

“It was almost like she stationed herself near him and was keeping other women away from him,” Croce said. “I noticed it and kind of laughed about it.”

A bar manager that night also noticed the woman’s behavior with Kane, Croce said.

Croce said the woman and a female friend “followed” Kane as he left the nightclub with a couple of male friends around 3 a.m. last Sunday.

“I don’t know if this is the same woman who made the rape allegation against him,” Croce said. “I only know what I saw that night on my own premises. If you’re going to ask what happened between them after they left that night, how would I know?”

The News could not independently verify whether the woman Croce described is the same woman who made the rape complaint to Hamburg Police.

Croce said he has been asked by the Erie County District Attorney’s Office to make a statement, and he said he and bar employees will cooperate in the investigation.

“The DA’s investigator asked me for a list of all the people we had working that night, and their contact information, and I gave it to him,” Croce said.

For the past week, Kane, 26, has been the subject of an investigation conducted by Town of Hamburg Police and the DA’s office. Police searched Kane’s home last week, and the woman was examined in a hospital for signs of rape, but no charges have been filed.

Croce said he has been inundated with media requests for interviews. He said he decided to speak to The News on Saturday night because he is upset with media reports that “insinuate” that Kane was out of control during his time at SkyBar.

“I’ve got no skin in this game. I am only telling you what I observed,” Croce said. “(Kane) was acting like a typical young guy his age, out having fun with some of his buddies. A lot of people were coming up to him, asking to have pictures taken with him. He was a gentleman. Pat had a couple of drinks and maybe a couple of shots. He was having a good time, but he wasn’t stumbling or doing anything obnoxious.”

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/08/09/new-details-emerge-on-kane-allegations/?

When does she file her civil lawsuit against Kane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad