NHL Around the NHL XXI - UPDATE 7/1 - Toronto and Edmonton chosen as hubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The fact that they would actually still present the cup the the tourney winner is but another reason this is a joke.

The league doesn’t have the integrity to call this what it is.

Just Putting lipstick on a pig.
If I’m on the Bruins my attitude would be give me the f***ing thing and I’d hold it high to the heavens and to those who think it’s an asterisk I got something between my legs you can suck on

member 96824

No team in the history has won a 24 team playoff. Asterisk? Nah, f***ing bold that puppy.

Oh that’s cute Montreal how many teams did you have to get through in your last cup? 15? That’s cute, we had to go through 23.

Reactions: bbfan419 and DKH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
No team in the history has won a 24 team playoff. Asterisk? Nah, f***ing bold that puppy.

Oh that’s cute Montreal how many teams did you have to get through in your last cup? 15? That’s cute, we had to go through 23.
Montreal is pissed they can’t win the lottery and get the hometown kid

I will certainly be rooting for them in the playoff round

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
If I’m on the Bruins my attitude would be give me the f***ing thing and I’d hold it high to the heavens and to those who think it’s an asterisk I got something between my legs you can suck on
I don’t have a problem with this but I don’t like the receding but I’m still all in. When your in the middle of a pandemic nothing in life let alone sports will be normal. A normal set up that is. I agree with the players this best of three stuff I agree should be squashed. The only thing that’s confusing if the Bruins have a Bye why are they in the all do it over again mode. A Bye is a Bye .

Reactions: bbfan419

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
All the NHLPA voted for was an agreement on the 24 team format and to continue negotiations. That doesn't include byes, play-ins and length of series. All that still needs to be negotiated.

Nothing is set in stone, other then it will be 24 teams and discussions will continue on how that will work.

NHL still wants brackets, and the vast majority of the NHLPA wants reseeding after each round.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
We are not whining, and frankly I find your use of that word insulting. In case you haven’t noticed, there’s a global pandemic going on. This is a deadly virus that kills indiscriminately. People are being told to follow guidance not to gather in groups and told to wear masks and maintain physical distancing as best they can in order to protect themselves and others. Why should we clamor for hockey when doing so puts the lives of players, coaches, training staff, their families and others at risk? For our selfish viewing enjoyment, those players and personnel will effectively be flouting the guidance to stay safe.

Sure, the Bruins were having a great season. But a global health crisis emerged a few months ago, and combating that takes precedence over foolishly trying to finish the season, don’t you think? I can speak only for myself, but the emergence of COVID-19 has really put things into perspective, and for me that means staying healthy and ensuring that those whom I love and value as family and friends are also healthy and not affected by the virus. Hockey just doesn’t matter right now.

Schools have open back again here. Some stores too. They are opening things up on health department guidance.

If NHL open up, it will be with some guidance and with the fact that it’s believe « safe » to do so.

I know you have stated many times that the 19-20 should be canceled and to concentrate on 20-21.

That’s where we disagree. I don’t care about 20-21. Finish 19-20 before even thinking about next year.

That’s what I meant.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
It’s a matter of perspective, no?

If I’m a player, I wanna play, I want a chance to win it. I may have a view on how to conduct the “playoffs” but in the end I’m after the title and I’m going to battle to get it.

As a Bruins fan, even if I may not like the format (I don’t, 80% of teams in (although if I’m the bottom team and I win it, I don’t give a rats ass) A team out Largely because they played 2 less games? Etc. ) but I will watch every game, I will hope they win it (not because it’s for “the cup” but because they won the post season whatever-you-want-to-call-it).

And the league is doing what they think is right to maintain as close to the “normal” conclusion of the season as can be. As I reflect on the options they might have, Yeah there is no perfect approach...there are degrees of imperfection of course, and some aspects of this are pretty imperfect.

Some purists really hate it, I respect that view. Some rabid fans would take hockey in essentially any form and with any consequences vs. no hockey. Others think there shouldn’t be any hockey/large gatherings of any sort due to potential health issues, another fully legitimate view. We’ve seen all of those views and others expressed here, some eloquently, some not so much, and they all are legitimate. Personally I like the concept, not the proposed execution, but can certainly live with whatever they do and whatever the outcome.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

If I’m a player, I wanna play, I want a chance to win it. I may have a view on how to conduct the “playoffs” but in the end I’m after the title and I’m going to battle to get it.

As a Bruins fan, even if I may not like the format (I don’t, 80% of teams in (although if I’m the bottom team and I win it, I don’t give a rats ass) A team out Largely because they played 2 less games? Etc. ) but I will watch every game, I will hope they win it (not because it’s for “the cup” but because they won the post season whatever-you-want-to-call-it).

And the league is doing what they think is right to maintain as close to the “normal” conclusion of the season as can be. As I reflect on the options they might have, Yeah there is no perfect approach...there are degrees of imperfection of course, and some aspects of this are pretty imperfect.

Some purists really hate it, I respect that view. Some rabid fans would take hockey in essentially any form and with any consequences vs. no hockey. Others think there shouldn’t be any hockey/large gatherings of any sort due to potential health issues, another fully legitimate view. We’ve seen all of those views and others expressed here, some eloquently, some not so much, and they all are legitimate. Personally I like the concept, not the proposed execution, but can certainly live with whatever they do and whatever the outcome.

Well said.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

If I’m on Montreal I don’t want to play. If I’m on Boston I want to assuming safety issues acceptable

a member of one of those couple of teams like Montreal who really had no chance of making I would be laying in bed last night thinking, ‘you gotta be shitting me’

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
What a mess. Ill take whatever at this point but they're really making this whole thing way more complicated than it needs to be.

Everyone worried about Montreal and the "Carey Price factor" is gonna be laughing when they give up 8 goals in 2 games or whatever. They're not a good team and Carey Price is a run of the mill goalie at this point. Its the Rangers everyone should be sweating over.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
We're not dealing with a large population here, we're looking at particular small groups of individuals. This allows a certain level of control. Here in Australia the National Rugby League is resuming next week, and the Australian Football League two weeks after that. Here's how it's going to work - every player, official and staffer will be tested regularly, at least a couple of times a week. If someone gets the virus it'll be known very quickly, regardless of whether they're symptomatic. There will be strict rules in place around locker room hygiene, cleaning and personal interaction. If someone lives with a person who is deemed particularly vulnerable, on account of their occupation, health or whatever else, they're being strongly encouraged to sort out temporary alternative arrangements. Players will also be required to limit and be sensible about their day-to-day movements and social interactions.

Between all that the top health experts in the country believe there is a reasonable chance we can get both leagues back to playing week in week out with minimal disruption, with any infections being identified, isolated and treated before they can spread too far.

Australia has one massive advantage - our current COVID caseload is tiny, we're talking under 400 active cases in the whole country at present. However on the flip side these leagues are planning to carry on for around 4 months, whereas a NHL playoffs tournament only needs to go for 2. There are other potential mitigating options too - for example Edmonton is being discussed as a potential playing hub for the Western teams, which the number of active virus cases is reported to currently be under 100. Much less chance of anyone associated with the clubs becoming infected up there.

Of course there are risks. Despite all precautions there may be an outbreak that spirals out of control and the whole show falls apart. But I don't believe that's inevitable, either for our leagues here or the NHL. As for the players and everyone else involved, it's up to them to weigh up the risks and decide whether they're willing to accept them, the same way many of us do every day we go in to work.
I'm of the opinion that when it gets in, it will be uncontrollable.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I could still see lots of rioting going on, just wait till a 1st round win

The chances are slim I would think . Rioting would require a lot of people in the downtown core. With the games not likely being played here and even if they were they would he played without fans that density of people in the Streets just won't occur as it has in past riots.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
If I’m on Montreal I don’t want to play. If I’m on Boston I want to assuming safety issues acceptable

a member of one of those couple of teams like Montreal who really had no chance of making I would be laying in bed last night thinking, ‘you gotta be shitting me’

Assuming all this goes down like it looks at the moment, most likely, we won’t be able to tell whether that attitude is affecting their play or it’s that they suck.

I make no prediction here, But I can’t see them having success whether they want to play or not.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I’m also apprehensive about the virus and also injuries.

This is what worries me, too. I mean, say a player has hypertension. Yes, these are elite athletes, but high blood pressure is so common that you'd have to figure many of them have it. And, unfortunately, hypertension has been shown to be a pretty good predictor of who will NOT do well with the novel coronavirus.

Not to mention the families, and the staff. Hopefully, anyone over 65 will be actively discouraged from working the tourney in any capacity, and I checked a smattering of head coach ages, and they all fall under. Some are just over 60, which isn't ideal, but I guess we can fudge that.

The other thing I worry about is the pressure to conform. Hockey is extremely homogeneous - all for one, one for all. Everything is done for the team. And even if it's explicitly stated "stay home if you have family members who may be in danger and you feel like you should be with them", some are going feel pressure to come. Imagine a European player who lives in Europe with a kid with cystic fibrosis. He's got to come two weeks early to quarantine, I presume. He has to play, possibly for two months. THEN he has to isolate another two weeks once he flies home - or even if his family joins him in the states. And even so, it's an iffy situation - you're always going to be nervous about transmitting the virus asymptomatically. Add to that the extra stress that places on the family to take care of the theoretical child with CF, and you're really asking a lot of a player, particularly if it's a fourth-liner making the league minimum, or even a Black Ace.

Granted, that's a theoretical situation. But you can't tell me with the 1,200 or so people who will be directly involved in the game (players, Black Aces, coaches, trainers, doctors, etc.) that SOMETHING won't come up where someone's less than comfortable playing. And it's reasonable to be uncomfortable. The reason they're going to be tested frequently is that they're putting themselves - and possibly their families - at higher risk.

Not to mention that this will take away some testing capacity. Massachusetts has been reliably near or under 10% positive for awhile, which I take to be a good sign, and I trust our stats. But other states may need those tests - I don't think we're there nationally, yet. Maybe we will be in 6 weeks, when this is all planned to start.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I'm of the opinion that when it gets in, it will be uncontrollable.

You may be right. But the health officials advising our leagues believe that may not happen as long as a strict and thorough testing regime is enforced.

For the sake of both the health of all involved and the reputation of the league, what we have to hope in the NHL's case is that they're genuinely taking on board the best expert advice in the context of North America and the manner in which they want to run the POs. If the medical people believe there's at least a reasonable chance the series can go ahead safely without major infection outbreaks then I think the administrators are entitled to rely on that advice, but if their opinion is otherwise then they absolutely shouldn't proceed.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
The vote essentially closes the book this season on the bottom seven teams: Buffalo, New Jersey, Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose, Ottawa and Detroit.
Everyone else still has a chance to lift the Stanley Cup.

Everyone seems to think Edmonton will be the West pod but nothing clear in the East.

Boston is still in the mix because of hotels and practice rinks and TD Garden has 4 dressing rooms. Mayor Walsh is on board as long as there are no fans. Since TD Garden will be sealed off to fans the ice is not expected to be an issue.

Not be argumentative on a minor point, but doubt EDM would be the Western "node." Heard it will be Vegas. FLA has been floated for the Eastern conference.

Regardless, this 24 team "play in" is garbage. And now the Bruins, who had the best record in the league, can lose whatever advantage that affords through this equally stupid "roudn robin" of top teams.

Again, garbage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Strafer

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Truth is the NHL is trying to give a lifeline to TVA Sports and engaging the francophone TV market. TVA Sports will carry the games - not RDS

You know more about this sort of thing than anyone on the board. Yet I have to ask, "And?" Throwing a lifeline to TVA is more important that playing it square. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad