NHL Around the NHL XXI - UPDATE 7/1 - Toronto and Edmonton chosen as hubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
NHL players’ union wants to negotiate further on playoff format - The Boston Globe

The players’ union released a statement Friday night saying it has authorized further negotiations, however.

There appears to be significant work to be done.

Pierre LeBrun of TSN in Canada reported that the format was agreed upon, but other issues remain unresolved.

The NHLPA executive committee conference call Thursday night got “a little heated at times,” TSN’s Bob McKenzie tweeted earlier Friday. McKenzie added that the vote was expected to have 18 of the 31 needed for approval.

The setup was proposed by the NHL’s return-to-play committee, which includes top league and union executives and several prominent players. The top four teams in each conference would receive byes and warm up with a round-robin tournament, and the lower eight teams per conference have a play-in round for the final four spots. The play-in could be a round-robin, best-of-three, best-of-five or best-of-seven format.

The 16 remaining teams would conduct the playoffs, which would be traditional, four-round, best-of-seven series for the Stanley Cup. By the start of the Round of 16, it is hoped the players, who had been off 72 days as of Friday, would have their pistons firing properly.

This plan would mean the scuttling of the final 189 games on the regular-season schedule.

Possibilities for host cities include Las Vegas, Columbus and Minneapolis/St. Paul in the United States, and Edmonton, Calgary and Toronto in Canada. Commissioner Gary Bettman said this week the league was looking at eight or nine cities to serve as hubs.

Bruins team president Cam Neely told the Globe this week that TD Garden was submitted for consideration. But Boston, given its status as a COVID-19 hot spot, would be an unlikely choice.

The first pucks could be dropped in early July. The 2020 Stanley Cup could be awarded in early September.

On Tuesday, Canada and the United States agreed to keep their borders closed for nonessential crossings until June 21, which could impede the flow of players returning to their NHL cities to train. However, governmental leaders in both countries have expressed great interest in pro sports restarting, so it’s likely the ban could be relaxed.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Gee Wally, Bob McKenzie said it passed by enough votes not by the majority but they had enough. The rumor out there was the Pittsburgh Penguins voted against it. But Kris Letang has said that wasn’t true. They voted yes.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
24 teams and the Habs get the final spot. It's almost as if a hab fan drew up the playoff scenario and stopped at 24 to get them in.

I expect if they win they'll celebrate the cup win forever having as many celebrations as possible

Actually Legault has already said no parade.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
No one is forcing you to watch it.

That's unnecessary. She's not saying she will, or if she does she still reserves the right to have issues with the format.

Personally while I have reservations I'm not completely against the 24-team concept or the league at least trying to get a viable PO series happening. I tentatively think it's the right move. But I respect the right of others to think differently and voice those opinions.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I miss hockey as much as anyone, and will watch the tournament if it happens, but I hope they don't play. Focus on having a normal and full next season (fingers crossed) with well-rested and healthy players. Even if Boston wins the tournament and is awarded the Stanley Cup, it will not be all that meaningful to me. 24 out of 31 teams competing in a summer tournament, far removed from the regular season, is not going to produce a legit Cup winner based on the actual past season. It will basically be a stand-alone tournament that is played so that some of the lost revenue can be recouped. Then there are the logistics and health implications. We are still very much in the middle of a pandemic that is still not fully understood, especially in terms of silent carriers, superspreaders, length of time someone is contagious, etc. The NHL has players from a lot of different countries with varying rates of infection and protocols. The whole thing seems a bit ambitious for an organization with a track record of poor decision making to pull off competently.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
If going to 24 teams my personal wish would be to start with 6 team round Robin's. so all teams play meaningful games but not life and death . Plus seeding isnt really too important except for last change . Five games to seed four teams in each group of six and eliminate two . Any tie in the standings would go to higher team in regular season standings .

Now in a normal NHL season I would die for a bye but this year I believe it is almost a death sentence . Playing games for some seeding well teams play for their lives will be big trouble for bruins and all the bye teams . Does anyone really think we are winning game 1 against leafs or b.jackets if that is the case I sure dont .

You can say oh well it is best of 7 one game doesn't kill you but having to win 4 of 6 is no picnic . You can say round robin forc1 round ruins the integrity and sure it is different but anyone thinking Mobtreal getting in doesn't do that already is silly . If the habs ever won the cup it would be a nightmare . Although I would be pretty surprised if they did it isn't impossible and there are a lot of teams like winnipeg florida Chicago Minnesota who actually could . My guess is you will see more upsets than ever before .

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I miss hockey as much as anyone, and will watch the tournament if it happens, but I hope they don't play. Focus on having a normal and full next season (fingers crossed) with well-rested and healthy players. Even if Boston wins the tournament and is awarded the Stanley Cup, it will not be all that meaningful to me. 24 out of 31 teams competing in a summer tournament, far removed from the regular season, is not going to produce a legit Cup winner based on the actual past season. It will basically be a stand-alone tournament that is played so that some of the lost revenue can be recouped. Then there are the logistics and health implications. We are still very much in the middle of a pandemic that is still not fully understood, especially in terms of silent carriers, superspreaders, length of time someone is contagious, etc. The NHL has players from a lot of different countries with varying rates of infection and protocols. The whole thing seems a bit ambitious for an organization with a track record of poor decision making to pull off competently.

If Boston or a high team wins it will be a lot more legit than you think . Well I do agree with you that this is tens time more a coin flip than a strike shortened season it still is something.

Bottom line is as well if you don't want to play now you might as well scrap next season as well . If you want to sit back till there is a vaccine or it basically disappears so you can get a full normal season in we will probably see you fall of 2021 .

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
The 24-team concept certainly seems to be an attempt to get large-market teams like NYR, CHI & MTL into the postseason, even if for three games. But it’s basically similar to the days of the NHL after the WHA expansion in 1979, when 16 of 21 teams made the postseason (76% of teams. 24/31 is 77%).

Thinking out loud here, but I’m wondering if the NHL is using this as a test run for the addition of a potential play-in round in the future and possible expansion to maybe 10 teams per conference.

I am happy to see the conference format resumed, but would prefer reseeding. However, TV partners likely prefer a bracketed system because one round can start before another ends (e.g., if the 1/8 and 4/5 series are sweeps and the 2/7 series goes 7, the winners of the first two can go ahead and start the second round and fill a national TV window ... rather than wait for the outcome of the 2/7 series to find out the next foe and start the next round).

Reactions: bbfan419

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
That's unnecessary. She's not saying she will, or if she does she still reserves the right to have issues with the format.

Personally while I have reservations I'm not completely against the 24-team concept or the league at least trying to get a viable PO series happening. I tentatively think it's the right move. But I respect the right of others to think differently and voice those opinions.

It wasn't the format she was protesting, it was the resumption of hockey.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
If Boston or a high team wins it will be a lot more legit than you think . Well I do agree with you that this is tens time more a coin flip than a strike shortened season it still is something.

Bottom line is as well if you don't want to play now you might as well scrap next season as well . If you want to sit back till there is a vaccine or it basically disappears so you can get a full normal season in we will probably see you fall of 2021 .

Exactly, there is a strong chance this virus ramps up again next year, we might as well complete a season in which 85% of the regular season is done, if not 2 seasons could be wiped out.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
No one is forcing you to watch it.
No one is forcing you to respond this way.

And no, I never said I wouldn’t watch. I don’t care for the format and I’d rather them cancel the season than have a team who wouldn’t have made the playoffs win the cup.

I’m also apprehensive about the virus and also injuries.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario

I feel the same way. I would rather the players didn't risk their health. I wonder about players like Charlie McAvoy who has had heart issues, maybe he would be fine if he got it, maybe he wouldn't. What about Max Domi who has Type 1 diabetes? Is that worth risking if he gets it? The flu runs rampant through teams when one member gets it, this seems even more contagious. It is too dangerous in my eyes.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I feel the same way. I would rather the players didn't risk their health. I wonder about players like Charlie McAvoy who has had heart issues, maybe he would be fine if he got it, maybe he wouldn't. What about Max Domi who has Type 1 diabetes? Is that worth risking if he gets it? The flu runs rampant through teams when one member gets it, this seems even more contagious. It is too dangerous in my eyes.

Well if that is your opinion of course that is reasonable and valid . I just want to see consistancy in this opinion . That means no sports till we have at least a ninety percent vaccine or the virus basically disappears. In that scenario the very best case for hockey is fall of 21 but hey you may have to wait several years

Reactions: SPLBRUIN

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Well if that is your opinion of course that is reasonable and valid . I just want to see consistancy in this opinion . That means no sports till we have at least a ninety percent vaccine or the virus basically disappears. In that scenario the very best case for hockey is fall of 21 but hey you may have to wait several years

Not necessarily, we need testing and evidence that someone having it can become immune. We need something to treat it if someone gets it. Those can come before a vaccine but right now is too early in my opinion. Waiting until the Fall will still be short but maybe there will be some better options than making a sham of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Reactions: Estlin

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
The 24-team concept certainly seems to be an attempt to get large-market teams like NYR, CHI & MTL into the postseason, even if for three games. But it’s basically similar to the days of the NHL after the WHA expansion in 1979, when 16 of 21 teams made the postseason (76% of teams. 24/31 is 77%).

Thinking out loud here, but I’m wondering if the NHL is using this as a test run for the addition of a potential play-in round in the future and possible expansion to maybe 10 teams per conference.

I am happy to see the conference format resumed, but would prefer reseeding. However, TV partners likely prefer a bracketed system because one round can start before another ends (e.g., if the 1/8 and 4/5 series are sweeps and the 2/7 series goes 7, the winners of the first two can go ahead and start the second round and fill a national TV window ... rather than wait for the outcome of the 2/7 series to find out the next foe and start the next round).
I hate brackets and the NBA does that which is stupid, you have round 1 and round 2 happening at the same time.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
No one is forcing you to respond this way.

And no, I never said I wouldn’t watch. I don’t care for the format and I’d rather them cancel the season than have a team who wouldn’t have made the playoffs win the cup.

I’m also apprehensive about the virus and also injuries.
Same here Alli, I don't like the format and would prefer re-seeding after each round, but the main thing is the health and well being of people. I know it sucks not to have our sports we all love and yeah it could cost us more than 1 season, but if that means keeping people safe and virus free then so be it. Health will always come before sports/entertainment.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I don't get the point of the top 4 round robin tournament. Just seed them 1-4 based on points Even if you want to add 2 points to WSH and PHI so all 4 teams have the same amount of games played, BOS and TB still would be 1 and 2 based on points and tiebreakers. Just makes no sense to me outside of getting those teams some game action.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If Boston wins total legit

they been the best team for 2 years (I still can’t fathom they outscored St Louis 12-3 IN ST LOUIS games 3 & 6) and didn’t win

they are skilled and know they are the best team in hockey- physically & mentally they are at the top

They win totally legit anyone with intelligence will know this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad