NHL Around the NHL XXI - UPDATE 7/1 - Toronto and Edmonton chosen as hubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
It's interesting that only 3 of the 10 potential hub cities correlate to Eastern Conference teams. You'd think it would be a huge thing to stagger the games in different time zones for viewing purposes.

If the eastern hub is in Chicago, why NOT play games at 6 PM CDT (7 PM EDT)? Players and staff can keep an Eastern time zone schedule, which isn't too bad - 11 AM practice becomes 10 AM. It's not like 20,000 people in Chicago are going to have to make it from work to the stands before puck drop.

I thought I heard something about making sure that nobody gets any form of home ice advantage, which might mean that if the Scotiabank Arena in Toronto were picked, it would have to be a Western hub because of the Leafs. Although thinking about that, it makes absolutely no sense, because you'd have Eastern teams potentially playing way out west for the ENTIRE run of the series. The SCFs will undoubtedly start at 8 PM EDT, but the prelim games, particularly in big markets like Toronto and Boston, shouldn't be held at 10 PM EDT.

They might even get creative and hold daytime games to speed up the series. Again, it's not like they have to sell tickets. People can either rearrange their work schedule thanks to WFH, or they can DVR a 3 PM game to watch at night.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
You all won't believe the little gem I just heard on TSN690 Montreal

Some texted to the station , and I quote " This is all to please Jeremy Jacobs"

Yes allowing the Habs to participate in the play-in round is to please Jeremy Jacobs .

I live among some really smart people :help:
Well calling 911 isn't really an option these days

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I don't really get it.

Who cares where they are seeded, there is no home ice advantage. Still need to win 4 series.

There is no home ice.

No crowd.

If they do brackets, you could play a higher seed in round 1 than seed 2-3-4 if there is some upset in the play in.

That leaves the last change as the only advantage for the higher seed.

In the end, don’t care where they seed. They were the better team in NHL all year and hopefully, they keep dominating any 4 opponents they get on their way to a 4th SCF and 2nd Cup in 10 years.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

Yes allowing the Habs to participate in the play-in round is to please Jeremy Jacobs .

WTF...?

Where do some people get these STUPID ideas?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
With no fans and fewer arena workers, start times matter less. There's no reason you can't stagger the games to start at 6 PM, 8 PM, and 10 PM EST regardless of where they're taking place.

Reactions: bbfan419

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
There is no home ice.

No crowd.

If they do brackets, you could play a higher seed in round 1 than seed 2-3-4 if there is some upset in the play in.

That leaves the last change as the only advantage for the higher seed.

In the end, don’t care where they seed. They were the better team in NHL all year and hopefully, they keep dominating any 4 opponents they get on their way to a 4th SCF and 2nd Cup in 10 years.

If anything the bruins do better in an away type environment playoffs wise

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Hope I`m wrong but I predict we are about to witness some of the worst hockey any of us have seen in a long time. Maybe I`ll come around and get excited about the NHL returning but for right now, just can`t do it

Eh... By the time all is said and done it's going to be a little longer than a regular off season.

It won't be the best hockey in the world early on, for sure. But by Round 2/3? Could be real interesting. Playoff intensity with everyone fully rested.

Reactions: BMC

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

I believe I heard that particular text sent in a few times over the years

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Running a very advanced simulation (sarcasm) looking at each teams head to head results, GF/GA and style I've come up with....

VGK is your 2020 Champions beating PHI in the Finals. PHI beat NYI, BOS and NYR to reach the finals. VGK beat STL, CHI and ARZ to reach the finals.

Now with that said, my prediction...

Bruins 2020 Stanley Cup Champions :stanley::hockey:

Reactions: bbfan419

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
It's still a nice break from Coronaphobia around the clock. Any sports on TV is a blessing.
no kidding. I found myself watching the friggin cornhole tournament they had on over the weekend.

youtube the Marblelympics.
Super fun to watch but also a little sad as you realize what fandom is as you find yourself cheering for marbles.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Even though I hemmed and hawed about the round robin tournament with the top four teams in each conference, I will say that Gary Bettman has done a great job with this unlike MLB.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
EY-v6t-WoAAXKDt

Reactions: EvilDead
Status