NHL Around the NHL XXI - UPDATE 7/1 - Toronto and Edmonton chosen as hubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
If it has been answered, my apologies, but what's the deal with the NHL draft and free agency now? Are they pushed back? I assume July 1 will be since the teams will be playing, but is the draft still going to be held at the usual time?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
It wasn't that long ago that folks were proposing Pasta + McAvoy for Eichel.

I wouldn't trade either of them straight up for him.
Link?

I’d do McAvoy if they had to as much as I love him.

Eichel would slingshot their transition to the next generation while remaining a cup contender throughout.

No chance Buffalo trades him in the division. Also, he's stuck there for at least a few more seasons.
His no movement clause kicks in next year? Or is it the year after?

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Governor Baker has announced Boston Pro Teams can begin practicing soon. Of course with precautionary measures, getting closer by the day. I understand more important other things going on in the world. But hey, when I see something worth it. I post it.

WBZ NEWS/ CBS

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
If it has been answered, my apologies, but what's the deal with the NHL draft and free agency now? Are they pushed back? I assume July 1 will be since the teams will be playing, but is the draft still going to be held at the usual time?

The draft is definitely pushed back. They'll have the preliminary lottery on June 26, with 23 teams potentially eligible for the first pick: the Dirty Seven and the 16 teams who will play in the 5-game qualifying/preliminary/non-playoff round. Basically, everyone BUT the top 4 teams in each of the 2 conferences.

If the Dirty Seven get all three top spots, done. There are 8 placeholders for the 16 preliminary teams in the lottery - Teams A-H. The lottery will take place, with the weighted odds for the 15 teams (7 real teams and 8 placeholders) the same as last year. If no placeholders are drawn, lottery is over.

If any of the placeholder teams are drawn, a secondary lottery will happen AFTER the qualifying round, but before the first round of the real, official playoffs (ie the first round the Bruins play in ). The Eliminated Eight will each get an equal 1/8 shot to take one of those picks. If there are 2 or 3 spots, an individual team can get ONE of those picks, so their chances could be as high as 3/8 to get any of the top three picks.

As far as timing of the draft: Phase 3 (formal training camps) will not take place until the start of July. Phase 4 (PLAYOFFS!) will likely not take place until August, and that's optimistic. Let's say they start August 1 with the prelim round/round robin. You need to split the teams into even/odd days because you can't have 4 or 5 games in a hub on a single day. So, the first games for each team will be August 1-2. Assuming brutal every-other-day scheduling, that puts August 9-10 as the last set of Game 5s, and August 11 as a break day. Round 1 will start August 12-13, and if it's only 5 games, will end August 20-21. A courtesy break on August 22, and now we're in Round 2. If it's 5 games, it ends on August 31-September 1. Break on September 2, and we have Conference Finals on Sept 3. Conference Finals start play a full 7 games, and end on September 16. SCF on Sept 18, and ends on Sept 30.

So, interestingly, it takes almost exactly 2 months to run the SCF an at accelerated, every-other-day-forever pace. The schedule can be adjusted easily; they don't really have to worry about fans getting to the game, or TV stations adjusting their schedule. NBCSN will be happy to shelve any reruns they plan to run if the NHL wants to move games to an earlier date because, say, everyone in a conference finished their series by Game 5. This would allow for extra days of rest, too. Even flagship NBC will be happy to hold their SNL repeat for a new hockey game - Lorne Michaels has no reason to blow his stack over a taped repeat of SNL, and there won't be a live SNL to compete with.

With a September 30 SCF date, the Draft will likely take place in mid-October. That's my guess. Again, this assumes that there -IS- a playoff. Remember - we're not clear from COVID yet. It's good to plan, and nice to have something to look forward to, but if all the host cities have a secondary bump in COVID cases, this gets shelved.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Thought that just popped into my head thanks to @Fenway's comment in the Jack Edwards thread:

Any word yet on which network(s) are going to carry the round-robin, play-in games, and the playoffs in the US? I know traditionally it's NBCSN plus one of USA/CNBC each day, with NHLN taking overflow, and an occasional NBC afternoon or evening game - especially post-horses or whenever there's no SNL.

Would NBC/Universal be bringing in networks like Bravo/Oxygen (not a good fit, but they often had the Olympics), or Tennis/Golf (better fit, but fewer people have them)? Granted, mathematically there can only be two games simultaneously, so I guess they only need two networks max.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Link?

Eichel would slingshot their transition to the next generation while remaining a cup contender throughout.

McAvoy is the cornerstone of our defense, hopefully for many years to come. If he goes and we spend extra dough on Eichel compared to what's currently being paid to Bergy or Krej, as we'd inevitably have to, then what to the Bruins do about their top D pair? As it is Sweeney's facing a major challenge in that area when Chara retires, because there is nobody else in the league of his quality who will play for the relative pittance he is paid. Lose Chucky too and you've got an enormous hole and probably not a lot of cash to fill it with.

I agree we definitely need to look to the future of our top centers, but I see McAvoy as very much part of that next gen too unless some other very high calibre defenseman comes along in a really good deal.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Buffalo traded Ryan O'Reilly for Thompson, Sobotka, Berglund and picks. So a package of Bjork, Nordstrom, Clifton, and picks should get the B's Eichel. ;)

Kidding aside, letting an elite C go for that (and to a good team whose picks won't even be that high) can set a franchise back for years.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Jack going anywhere is likely not going to happen unless and until he is a year away from being a UFA

Given that Pasta is a non-starter the Sabres would probably want a package of young proven players. Just to spitball- something along the lines of Studnicka-DeBrusk- Lauzon plus a first

Assuming the Sabres were even willing to chat- would you do it?

probably. They probably wouldn’t.

Last edited:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
"If" being the important word there. If he just wanted to be traded to a contender the price would be much higher as the Bruins would be one of a few teams instead of just the one team.

Is there any basis for thinking he wants to come to Boston? :dunno:
He made statements in the past about how he was a Canadiens fan (etc) growing up .
I don't want him here. As far as OI'm concerned he took the money, is upset about the team and is ready to bail out. He has the talent but not the character that Chiarelli started building and that Don Sweeney has added to. WHAT if, in 2005-'06 or in the couple years after that Patrice Bergeron said the same thing? Would be have the love, admiration, and respect for him that we have today? Keep that Habs loving skunk away from the Bruins PLEASE!

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Nope! I have a great memory for things like this. When a Boston born and bred boy says that he would rather play for the Canadiens because he "loved their style of play, growing up" I NEVER forget it.

Ive read lots of articles and watched segments on tv where he talks about growing up a Bruins fan.

when asked about losing, he should smile and say he enjoys it?

Reactions: bbfan419

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Buffalo is a shit show, not sure you can blame Eichel for that.
Imagine being a hyper young player and ending up on a team like the Sabres? That organization just never seems to get their ducks in order.

Extremely unlikely they’d trade him to a division rival. He would be a great fit in Boston style-wise and at a great age.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Nope! I have a great memory for things like this. When a Boston born and bred boy says that he would rather play for the Canadiens because he "loved their style of play, growing up" I NEVER forget it.

Jack Eichel is a Habs fan

"I am a Montreal Canadiens fan. I know I probably shouldn't be saying this, but I really like their tradition and there's so much passion in Montreal. I really like their style of play. They've got so much speed and they're always attacking the opposing team. I'm a Bruins fan at heart, but I also really like the Canadiens."

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

"I am a Montreal Canadiens fan. I know I probably shouldn't be saying this, but I really like their tradition and there's so much passion in Montreal. I really like their style of play. They've got so much speed and they're always attacking the opposing team. I'm a Bruins fan at heart, but I also really like the Canadiens."

Whaaaaaaaaaaatt....????

For the love of God, kid... STFU.

I’m black and gold till I’m dead and cold, and I respect the Canadiens’ tradition and past accomplishments.

You will never hear me say I “like” them or that I’m a fan.

F*** off, Jack.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

So plays for Sabers
Is a Canadians fan
Is at heart a Bruins fan but likes the Canadians

Covid must be getting to this guy .

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

ADA3A77E-134E-4FC7-9008-2B61971817A9.jpeg

Reactions: rfournier103

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Link?

I agree with this, I make a McAvoy for Eichel trade all day long. Mac is a good defenceman, Eichel is a generational talent. The numbers he has put up on such a crappy team are unreal. Pencil in JDB and OK on his line and watch out. He could easily score 100 pts playing on our " second line". Then trade Krejci to get a decent 4th dee back for us, or stock up on draft picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad