Around the NHL XX: The Post-Season Looms Near

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2012
NY
Does Montreal remind anyone of the 11-12 Rangers? Great goalie and a defense that is primarily concerned with blocking shots instead of dictating play.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Montreal does a good job of forcing low percentage shots and clearing second chance opportunities but they don't score. They don't block shots to the extreme that the Rangers did 3 seasons ago, but those Rangers scored at a higher rate and were a much grittier group all around.

The 2011-12 Rangers would mop the floor with this years edition of the Habs. I don't expect Montreal to get out of the first round, most overrated team in the league IMO.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Montreal does a good job of forcing low percentage shots and clearing second chance opportunities but they don't score. They don't block shots to the extreme that the Rangers did 3 seasons ago, but those Rangers scored at a higher rate and were a much grittier group all around.

The 2011-12 Rangers would mop the floor with this years edition of the Habs. I don't expect Montreal to get out of the first round, most overrated team in the league IMO.

Maybe Price can steal them a series, but I agree - they're not going far.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
The 11-12 team looked a lot slower than it actually was. That is pretty common with teams that do not have a transition game.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
The 11-12 team looked a lot slower than it actually was. That is pretty common with teams that do not have a transition game.

They really did. They were never given the OK to transition out of the defensive zone like a normal hockey team. That entire team's idea of a transition game was to either chip the puck to center ice and dump it in, or try a long stretch pass from behind their net. That roster, while not nearly as skilled as the one we currently have, certainly had a lot more skill than they showed most nights.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We have 24 games left. If we win 16 of them, we're looking at 110-113 points depending on OTL. That might not do it unless Nashville drops their pace a lot. If we win 18 of them, that's 114-117 depending on OTL. That should do it.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
We have 24 games left. If we win 16 of them, we're looking at 110-113 points depending on OTL. That might not do it unless Nashville drops their pace a lot. If we win 18 of them, that's 114-117 depending on OTL. That should do it.

Think about that for a sec. If we win 2/3 the rest of the way we're getting 110-113 points. 110-113 points! That's an amazing season! I think a lot of us don't realize how good of a season we're having. And that's with a terrible start/injuries.

CaptainMcD

Jan 30, 2012
I know i'm gonna get **** for this but I don't want the President's Trophy. It seems to put a monkey on the back of teams. It scares me. i'd like to finish first in the East but let Nashville win the President's Trophy.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
They really did. They were never given the OK to transition out of the defensive zone like a normal hockey team. That entire team's idea of a transition game was to either chip the puck to center ice and dump it in, or try a long stretch pass from behind their net. That roster, while not nearly as skilled as the one we currently have, certainly had a lot more skill than they showed most nights.

Yeah that about sums it up.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I know i'm gonna get **** for this but I don't want the President's Trophy. It seems to put a monkey on the back of teams. It scares me. i'd like to finish first in the East but let Nashville win the President's Trophy.

There's nothing scary about being the best team in the NHL. Whatever happens in the playoffs can't take that away. The Cup is great and all, but tournaments are a terrible measure of who the best team is. I'd love to win the Cup but that's a completely separate thing.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Habs won two games against us last year in the playoffs without Price . They have a decent club....never underestimate them in the post season .

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Habs won two games against us last year in the playoffs without Price . They have a decent club....never underestimate them in the post season .

If the refs correctly assess Prust a 5 minute major in game 3 they likely get swept.

Lets not forget the 16 posts the Bruins hit against them in a 7 game series. Price had the biggest horseshoe on the planet wedged up his ass until Kreider knocked it out.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I don't see how being the Presidents Trophy team is a detriment to the playoffs. The Rangers went to the SCF last year: the pressure will be on them again this year, Presidents team or not.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
If the refs correctly assess Prust a 5 minute major in game 3 they likely get swept.

Lets not forget the 16 posts the Bruins hit against them in a 7 game series. Price had the biggest horseshoe on the planet wedged up his ass until Kreider knocked it out.

I am not going to get into " if "....the facts are enough . We lost 2 games to an unknown goalie and just barely beat him in Game 6 . It was far from a walk in the Park....they have a good club and possibly better than last season . Respect the opponent....:nod: Plus they beat us 2/3 so far this season . :)

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
There's nothing scary about being the best team in the NHL. Whatever happens in the playoffs can't take that away. The Cup is great and all, but tournaments are a terrible measure of who the best team is. I'd love to win the Cup but that's a completely separate thing.

The Cup is the only thing, man.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Rangers are going to have to be pretty flawless to even talk about President's Trophy or Division. They still have one game left with the Islanders and what, three with the Caps?

As for the people who don't want the President's Trophy or Division. I'd love to see more banners go up in the Garden. I'm tired of all these teams like the Penguins and Devils having Division Titles during the Dark Years or even post lockout. It just looks cooler and makes the arena look fuller. Plus this team has never won back to back Divisions or gone to the SCF twice in a row. Closest was 89-90, 91-92, and 93-94. If they could pull that off and win all four rounds, this truly might be the most memorable era of Rangers hockey.

Plus T-Shirts :yo:

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
SmallGreenIchthyosaurs.gif

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Watching the Devils game right now. Seems like more than 50% of the seats are empty. HAHA

Jan 8, 2012
NY
What a terrible schedule for tonight. Two teams no one cares about or wants to watch and then only one game at 10pm. Wish the NHL had more Monday games.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I think Habs are definitely a threat in the East. Never underestimate a team with an elite goaltender. Probably 3rd best team in the East behind Isles/Rangers. I'm not sold on Tampa. I also think Caps are much more dangerous than Tampa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad