Around the NHL XVIII: The Stanley Cup is won, everyone's offseason begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
If you had told me that Mike Richards would have his contract annulled before Slava Voynov's, I'd have called you a bunch of awful things, the least of which being "crazy".

The Kings sure are going through a very odd time in their history right now.

If it wasn't something major, but instead some minor loophole in the CBA that Dean Lombardi found, I'm having a hard time seeing any major free agent signing a long term contract with him for a long time.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If it wasn't something major, but instead some minor loophole in the CBA that Dean Lombardi found, I'm having a hard time seeing any major free agent signing a long term contract with him for a long time.

Agreed.

Not even limited to UFA's even... I imagine any RFA about to sign a long-term contract with Lombardi would think long and hard about what they were about to do.

... assuming it's not a major issue, and just Lombardi lawyering himself out of a buyout, that is. I imagine we'll just have to wait and see how this turns out. Definitely has my interest piqued.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Apparently, according to ESPN, there was an incident that the Kings were made aware of on Friday that this sudden "contract termination" is connected to.

"Several sources told ESPN.com the Kings were made aware of the situation Friday, approximately an hour after the first round of the 2015 NHL draft had begun.

The team was already in the process of trying to trade him -- discussions were in place with both the Edmonton Oilers and the Calgary Flames -- but Kings general manager Dean Lombardi immediately informed both teams upon learning about the situation that he had no prior knowledge of the incident and halted those talks, according to a source.

It is not immediately clear when said incident took place."

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
With the way reporters have been hinting at this Richards thing without actually saying what it is, I'm going to be so disappointed when it comes out that Mike Richards wasn't zapped by the Space Jam ball while saving the world from demons that came out of a Doom game that went sentient.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
They just cancelled the contract? They cited material breach but wouldn't expand?

Shenanigans I say

That Mike Richards could get screwed out of the money owed to him is pretty crazy

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

So many former HFBoards darlings being tossed to the curb by the 'Yotes today...

That Visentin cut seems especially sharp. Don't draft goalies in the 1st round, people.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Richards....had to be pretty bad if the Kings keep guys who are going through a domestic trial and the other dude caught with drugs.

Kinda strange. I mean, what can a player do (aside from being a serial killer) that would allow a team to terminate a contract just like that?

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Anyone else think its horse **** that Chris Pronger, despite still being on an NHL roster, is entering the HHOF?

There's no debating that the POS deserves to be in there, but the punishment for this blatant cap intervention should be that he needs to wait til he's OFFICIALLY RETIRED and the subsequent period of eligibility to make it in.

It just makes the NHL look like a joke.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
Anyone else think its horse **** that Chris Pronger, despite still being on an NHL roster, is entering the HHOF?

There's no debating that the POS deserves to be in there, but the punishment for this blatant cap intervention should be that he needs to wait til he's OFFICIALLY RETIRED and the subsequent period of eligibility to make it in.

Agreed.

He's also working for the NHLPA on top of being on the payroll of a team. BS.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Imo, you punish the team for cap circumvention, not the player. The NHL seems to have already condoned how Philly is handling his pseudo retirement, so I don't see why this would be any different.

All that said, I think how the CBA handles cap hits for players retiring due to exceptional circumstances (career ending injuries, legal troubles ect) is a problem. Imo, what should be done is an amendment to the CBA to allow cases like Pronger and Savard to retire without affecting cap hits (ie players who are no longer capable of being medically cleared to play can have their contracts paid out and terminated with no penalty to the team).

SelleckStache

Mar 12, 2007
Ottawa
Imo, you punish the team for cap circumvention, not the player. The NHL seems to have already condoned how Philly is handling his pseudo retirement, so I don't see why this would be any different.

All that said, I think how the CBA handles cap hits for players retiring due to exceptional circumstances (career ending injuries, legal troubles ect) is a problem. Imo, what should be done is an amendment to the CBA to allow cases like Pronger and Savard to retire without affecting cap hits (ie players who are no longer capable of being medically cleared to play can have their contracts paid out and terminated with no penalty to the team).

Suddenly, Richards has a concussion and can't play anymore.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Obviously the medical would have to come from a 3rd party doctor, ie League hired, and any fraudulent activities would have to be treated severely.

It's pretty obvious that both Savard and Pronger would still be playing today if they could. Richards on the other hand is a player who declined and the team has been trying to find a way to get rid of.

Heck, you could make it Commisioner's decision; Bettman would have to approve the buyout.

Nothing is going to be perfect, but there is clearly an issue with how the current arrangement works (or doesn't as the case may be).

Having guys like Pronger, Savard, and Voynov count against the cap is not helping parity, or making the league more profitable; it's just punishing teams for something that is out of their hands. Why punish a team for a players career being ended by POS Cooke, or a freak accident like Pronger had? Why punish a team because it turned out their player was allegedly wife beating POS (punish the player who is a POS, not the team)?

I mean, I'm all for the Sens competition having a tougher time, but it's not good for the league as a whole.

burf

Mar 27, 2012
Agreed.

He's also working for the NHLPA on top of being on the payroll of a team. BS.

He's working for the league, not the PA. Big difference. There wouldn't be an issue if he was just working for the union while on a team payroll.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

coyote_acme_anvil.jpg

costermonger

sans classe
Nov 4, 2007
Kitchener, Ont
Richards....had to be pretty bad if the Kings keep guys who are going through a domestic trial and the other dude caught with drugs.

Kinda strange. I mean, what can a player do (aside from being a serial killer) that would allow a team to terminate a contract just like that?

Lose the right to enter and work in the USA.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Sharks are gonna regret that trade. A unknown 1st is too much for Jones.

Especially since it's hard to believe they'll do much better next season and with the new lottery format they may regret big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad