Around The NHL XV: Hipchecks, Meltdowns and Old Goalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Unfair to Weircioch? He's been unfairly horrible to us

I can remember when Wiercioch had one good season with Bingo as Wideman is having. You must be aware that Wiercioch has his fans on here & think he is getting a bum deal & is better than a few defencemen on this roster. IMO the only reason they have not yet traded Wiercioch is because Methot is still unsigned & until he is signed they will hang on to Wiercioch as insurance. If Methot does sign than I imagine they will start shopping Wiercioch alone or in packages. But that doesn't mean they will replace him with Wideman, I still don't see him called up over Claesson. It was pretty funny last yr when most on this board were calling for Claesson to be called up because he was having such a good yr in Bingo & instead they call up Boroweicki & then extend him for three yrs. That drove people nuts on here for a while. :laugh:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I gotta say - I don't like the Enroth for Lindback trade by Tim Murray.

Sure, Enroth isn't great but he was something. Murray has to hope like hell he can find a goaltending prospect and that his staff can develop him... or he has to hope he can build a juggernaut team like Chicago or Detroit back when they carried average goaltenders.

The full tank strategy is risky - just look at Edmonton.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I gotta say - I don't like the Enroth for Lindback trade by Tim Murray.

Sure, Enroth isn't great but he was something. Murray has to hope like hell he can find a goaltending prospect and that his staff can develop him... or he has to hope he can build a juggernaut team like Chicago or Detroit back when they carried average goaltenders.

The full tank strategy is risky - just look at Edmonton.

He could always go out and sign Niemi this off season.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I actually think Bettman should have stepped in and voided the Enroth trade. That kind of move is bad for the game, and the Commissioner has the ability to put a stop to it.

Like others, I think the Sabres are playing a risky game. They could end up being Edmonton 2.0 with a rebuild that goes on forever...

great1

Nov 13, 2009
Fergus, Ontario
I actually think Bettman should have stepped in and voided the Enroth trade. That kind of move is bad for the game, and the Commissioner has the ability to put a stop to it.

Like others, I think the Sabres are playing a risky game. They could end up being Edmonton 2.0 with a rebuild that goes on forever...

If he stopped that trade then where do you draw the line? Edmonton traded Perron for a 1st which clearly made them worse too.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

traded a ufa goalie for a 3rd and a young goaltender. what is he supposed to do with the ufa goalie he wasn't planning on re-signing?
We realize that there may be other deals TM is working on (as he said). It's not 2 trades and you're done. It may make more sense in time if we give it more than a couple days.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
traded a ufa goalie for a 3rd and a young goaltender. what is he supposed to do with the ufa goalie he wasn't planning on re-signing?
We realize that there may be other deals TM is working on (as he said). It's not 2 trades and you're done. It may make more sense in time if we give it more than a couple days.

They're the same age...?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Yeah, if TMurr intends on targeting a UFA goalie this offseason, and doesn't want to run with Enroth, sure. But that's a risky choice, as there is very little on the UFA market this year (Niemi, Ramo and Enroth probably top the list).

Maybe he trades for Reimer out of Toronto. That guy could use a new home, but I really don't see any good long term options.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
When/If the Sens don't make the playoffs, who will you guys be rooting for in the East?

I've always had a soft spot for the Islanders.. I don't think they will get past the second round but they have been pretty surprising this year.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com

How is a non-playoff team moving a UFA-to-be for a pick anything other than business as usual?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
How is a non-playoff team moving a UFA-to-be for a pick anything other than business as usual?

I don't think they'd have had any problems re-signing Enroth, so imo it's a bit odd. That said, Enroth isn't good enough imo to be irreplaceable but I would still say trading your starter without someone else showing the potential to steal his job is a bit unusual.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
I don't think they'd have had any problems re-signing Enroth, so imo it's a bit odd. That said, Enroth isn't good enough imo to be irreplaceable but I would still say trading your starter without someone else showing the potential to steal his job is a bit unusual.

True, but there are UFA goalies every summer as good as Enroth. Buffalo just snapped up an extra pick in a deep draft knowing full well they can replace the asset they lost.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
True, but there are UFA goalies every summer as good as Enroth. Buffalo just snapped up an extra pick in a deep draft knowing full well they can replace the asset they lost.

This year, there's Enroth, Niemi and Ramo topping the list of UFA goalies. If they miss on Niemi, I don't see anyone as good myself. I guess they could just sign Enroth as a UFA and be ahead Linback and a third.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
This year, there's Enroth, Niemi and Ramo topping the list of UFA goalies. If they miss on Niemi, I don't see anyone as good myself. I guess they could just sign Enroth as a UFA and be ahead Linback and a third.

I guess the other factor to consider here is that Buffalo will not be all that much better next season. It will take a while for Reinhard and McDavid/Eichel to come into their own. TM just may not care about goaltending all that much right now. The plan could be to make a serious pitch for a very good goalie once the team is rounding into form.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Fair enough, but that's not even a real third rounder he got - it's conditional based on Enroth hitting some fairly high targets for games and wins in Dallas. More to the point, the goalie he got back is a hot mess - there isn't a team in the NHL who would count on Lindback for anything but mop up duty at the end of a blowout.

I guess I'm old school in that I believe the Sabres owe their opponents, their fans and fans around the league a fair effort. It's got to be discouraging in that dressing room when your GM makes moves like this. There's more than a third of a season left, for God's sake. Trading for a guy in a sling is one thing, as that's a big trade with lots of moving parts. Dumping your starting goalie for peanuts, though, especially when you having nothing behind him, is a blatant tank job, and I find it really distasteful.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I thought it was a 3rd that turns into a 2nd if conditions are met. Could be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad