Around The NHL XV: Hipchecks, Meltdowns and Old Goalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
IncredibleGrandioseCrocodileskink.gif

Ballard rubs out Perry. Perry left the game, hasn't returned.

MacT holds a pointless press conference that only serves to further piss off Edmonton fans.

martin-brodeur.jpg

Martin Brodeur looks half decent in a weird uniform.

bryzgalov.jpg

Bryz is going back to where it started. (maybe)

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Bryan Little scores the first Jets/Thrashers hat trick since... Eric Boulton. :laugh:

Yes, that actually happened.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Heard a lot about the MacT conference today but just finished watching it

It really wasn't that bad in my mind

He said a few key things
- They are going to build through the draft and that means having more success in more rounds than the first one which means trading picks is not on the table. Hard to argue with this: Tambellini absolutely wrecked this team's prospect pool and now MacT is left trying to pick up the pieces; he can't do that if he trades all his picks away
- No point in changing coach and again, hard to argue this: after 4 coachs in 5 years at some point you have to stop throwing the coach under the bus and try to get the leadership group to pitch in and he singled out Hall and Eberle needing to get more out of their team mates. Management brought in Ference, Fayne and Pouliot who are tough players to help but it hasn't been enough so far but it's worth noting because it's a new strategy for the Oilers under MacT.
- Making a trade for a C or a D would create a hole elsewhere. Not very surprising and honestly I want to give kudos to MacT for being straight here: no trade will fix the Oilers so there's no point in doing one for the sake of it, especially considering how steep the prices are for top flight players and how everyone is going to be trying to take advantage of the Oilers' desperation

At the end of the day the team was run by incompetent, idiotic buffoons from 2006 to 2013 and it's hard for me not to feel a bit of sympathy for MacT when he gets frustrated at some reporter lumping him in with that group: the guy took a borderline garbage team to game 7 of the SCF but can't undo 7 years of damage in a year and a half. One thing that stood out is why the in hell is Bob Nicholson in charge of internal evaluations? The guy is part of the people who ran the organization into the ground! **** him.

The cold, hard truth is that fixing the Oilers is going to take a good 5 or 6 years and it's not something that PR wants management to tell the fans. You could argue that maybe they ought to but that's not the GM's call, it's the owners.

Last edited:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
LeBrun the past few days mentioned how MacTavish has had a little over 2 years and he was handed a garbage team...

I get where he's coming from - that in an ideal world, MacTavish deserves a "fair" shot - 5 years (so he's almost halfway through his 5 years).

That being said if you're an Oilers fan - MacTavish is basically part of the old boys network and many fans probably feel you need to clean house of the old boys.

If I was a fan after years of sucking - it would be easier to stomach a completely new management team rather than someone who was with the team when it was a failure.

WhiteLight*

LeBrun the past few days mentioned how MacTavish has had a little over 2 years and he was handed a garbage team...

I get where he's coming from - that in an ideal world, MacTavish deserves a "fair" shot - 5 years (so he's almost halfway through his 5 years).

That being said if you're an Oilers fan - MacTavish is basically part of the old boys network and many fans probably feel you need to clean house of the old boys.

If I was a fan after years of sucking - it would be easier to stomach a completely new management team rather than someone who was with the team when it was a failure.

He was a full out hypocrite during his press conference though

Preaching accountability when they clearly treat players differently at all levels of that organization. ''Our three best players'', it's clear who they're talking.

Pointing fingers everyone but himself. Accountability indeed

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
the majority of the players have been changed after MacT became GM, and by being at the cap, the current team is certainly his work

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I hadn't watched MacT's presser until now.

Why would you even.... it's generally pointless. But I guess at least he's laying it out there, and almost sounded like he was getting some things off his chest.

And he didn't say that there are two types of fans, so that's a plus.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
So Jagr is now #5 on the ALL TIME scoring leader chart.

That's ****ing impressive, jeez

He just passed Marcel Dionne, and should pass Ron Francis by the end of the year to take the #4 spot... and if he plays another season, he might have an outside shot to unseat Gordie Howe in the #3 position.

Just unreal that he has done what he has done while playing through the height of the dead puck era... AND TAKING 3 YEARS OFF TO PLAY IN THE KHL?

Ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad