Around The NHL XV: Hipchecks, Meltdowns and Old Goalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I'm astonished just how obvious it is the players have given up on the team. No heart at all....and to do that in a market like Toronto, where there's no place to hide from the fans? Must be something really horrible happening behind closed doors for this level of mutiny. I have a funny feeling the presence of Shanahan might be a significant part of it. He's not exactly on players' Xmas card list after holding the ban-hammer for so long.

The new coach is just killing Phil Kessel too. Playing him on the third line yesterday?! Come on Horachek, I know you've pretty much killed your career by coaching the Leafs but what are you trying to prove by treating the only real skilled player on your team like garbage?

Phil Kessel will leave TO and find a team that knows how to use him perfectly. He's a strange cat but he's not a bad person. Heck, I'd take him in Ottawa in a heartbeat to play with Turris.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Kessel can score 80 points playing with crap. I'd gladly take him on the Sens. Leafs :laugh:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
The new coach is just killing Phil Kessel too. Playing him on the third line yesterday?! Come on Horachek, I know you've pretty much killed your career by coaching the Leafs but what are you trying to prove by treating the only real skilled player on your team like garbage?

Phil Kessel will leave TO and find a team that knows how to use him perfectly. He's a strange cat but he's not a bad person. Heck, I'd take him in Ottawa in a heartbeat to play with Turris.

100% agree. Phil would be awesome on this team (pipe dream much?). I know that certain players shouldn't get special treatment over others, but Phil is an exception, because he flourishes if you do. Horachek's tough love thing is never going to work.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Interesting quotes,
B.Murray on trading for E.Kane said:
"It was more than I was willing to give up,"

Cameron on Wiercioch coming out of the lineup said:
"He didn't come out because of his play, he comes out because I'm rotating young guys and trying to get a handle on everybody," said Cameron. "Deadline is coming and I'm probably going to get asked a question. I want to get a handle on some players."

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Interesting quotes,

There was a VERY interesting quote before the game on the radio when Ian Mendes was interviewing Randy Lee about Binghamton.

As they were going player-by-player, they brought up Wideman and his stint up here. When he was asked why he didn't play, Randy Lee said he didn't know and that they didn't bring him up just to sit in the press box as some sort of token gesture.

Interesting to see why Cameron didn't insert him into the line-up and why him and management weren't on the same page re: Wideman.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
There was a VERY interesting quote before the game on the radio when Ian Mendes was interviewing Randy Lee about Binghamton.

As they were going player-by-player, they brought up Wideman and his stint up here. When he was asked why he didn't play, Randy Lee said he didn't know and that they didn't bring him up just to sit in the press box as some sort of token gesture.

Interesting to see why Cameron didn't insert him into the line-up and why him and management weren't on the same page re: Wideman.
Cameron said since they won the prior game he didn't want to mess with the lineup. I don't recall if there were any other lineup changes that game or not.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Not the kind of stuff that inspires confidence

Disconnets of this nature don't sound healthy even if they don't have serious consequences

Last edited:

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Kessel to Ottawa would give us an elite goal scorer. Got to think Toronto would hose us on any deal though.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Not the kind of stuff that inspires confidence

Disconnets of this nature don't sound healthy even if they don't have serious consequences

How hard can it really be to get on the same page... I mean do these guys not have some sort of weekly meeting to sort this kind of thing out.

Teleconferencing has been around for ages, ffs.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
How hard can it really be to get on the same page... I mean do these guys not have some sort of weekly meeting to sort thing kind of thing out.

It's something that usually happens in all offices. For some reason, maybe Randy thought it was "implied" that Wideman play when he was called up and Cameron didn't know.

Communication is key.

Still, too bad we didn't get to see what we had in Wideman at the NHL level. We've got so many middling defensive players (Cowen, Ceci, Gryba, Boro, Wiercoch) maybe there is something better than mediocre on the farm.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Kessel to Ottawa would give us an elite goal scorer. Got to think Toronto would hose us on any deal though.

Plus, the chances of getting burned by the player(s) you traded goes up exponentially in inter-divisional trades. Which is why Murray never does them.

Oh wait..

Edit - Glad we're going so off-topic and into a sens discussion near the end of this thread's existence.. :laugh:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
It's something that usually happens in all offices. For some reason, maybe Randy thought it was "implied" that Wideman play when he was called up and Cameron didn't know.

Communication is key.

Still, too bad we didn't get to see what we had in Wideman at the NHL level. We've got so many middling defensive players (Cowen, Ceci, Gryba, Boro, Wiercoch) maybe there is something better than mediocre on the farm.

(insert obvious "but Ceci is young he'll grow to be a top 3, not middling" statement)

I was disappointed too, like many fans I presume. However, we likely wouldn't have seen too much. I mean, how often can a rookie step in on a call-up and truly show what he has? Mind you, it would have been nice to get his feet wet and get some of the nerves out this time around so he can come back more prepared next time.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
(insert obvious "but Ceci is young he'll grow to be a top 3, not middling" statement)

I was disappointed too, like many fans I presume. However, we likely wouldn't have seen too much. I mean, how often can a rookie step in on a call-up and truly show what he has? Mind you, it would have been nice to get his feet wet and get some of the nerves out this time around so he can come back more prepared next time.

Obviously, we don't know the ceilings of any of the guys I've listed but right now, this season, none of those guys have stood out. And you're absolutely right that we probably wouldn't have seen too much out of Wideman's 10-15 minutes he would have played, but it would have shown whether or not he could make a few break out passes and skate in the big leagues.

He could very well be a big upgrade of Wiercoch. The bottom pair desperately needs a guy who can move the puck but also not be pushed off it as easily as PW is.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
How hard can it really be to get on the same page... I mean do these guys not have some sort of weekly meeting to sort this kind of thing out.

This happens when people take things for granted rather than going through the motions

This happens when the organization is a gong show and no one really knows how to run things (since Murray is obviously less involved than he would like to be)

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Obviously, we don't know the ceilings of any of the guys I've listed but right now, this season, none of those guys have stood out. And you're absolutely right that we probably wouldn't have seen too much out of Wideman's 10-15 minutes he would have played, but it would have shown whether or not he could make a few break out passes and skate in the big leagues.

He could very well be a big upgrade of Wiercoch. The bottom pair desperately needs a guy who can move the puck but also not be pushed off it as easily as PW is.

Weir has the same syndrome that Turris has. There's just not enough fight in those muscles of his, even at 6'5. Even though being in and out of the lineup for the past few years has done no favours to Patrick's game and consistency, I'm quite ready to move on from him. Now that you raised the idea, I guess I could see Wideman stealing Weir's job pretty easily.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

If management wanted Wideman to get a game, they need to do more than imply it when they called him up. We had a LD go down to injury, had an extra LD sitting in the pressbox, and they called up a RD. Sorry, but to me that screams him being an extra body just in case it's needed. Sure Wideman might be better than Wiercioch, but they don't play the same side, so it's moot point unless Wideman can play the Left side (certainly possible).

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Weir has the same syndrome that Turris has. There's just not enough fight in those muscles of his, even at 6'5. Even though being in and out of the lineup for the past few years has done no favours to Patrick's game and consistency, I'm quite ready to move on from him. Now that you raised the idea, I guess I could see Wideman stealing Weir's job pretty easily.

Yeah, Weir has had enough time to put on a few pounds of muscle. Not sure why he hasn't done it. As a defenseman, he can't slide by without that strength.

I view him as the lowest D on the roster quite easily. Doubtful he's a Sen next year. It's sad though....I had really high hopes for him a few years ago.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Leafs officially blowing it up.

I'm pretty certain the Sens fanbase wouldn't survive very long if the team here was the Leafs... Sens rebuild has been pretty soft and even cool compared to many others like the Leafs, Isles, Panthers, Oilers, Jackets (well build in their case)... Heck the team even made the playoffs the first 2 years and even won a round. Last year, they were "terrible" as you can often read but finished with 88 pts, 5 pts away from a playoffs spot. This year they are even more terrible! 21-22-10 and a -3 goal differential! Only the Leafs are a bigger joke than the Sens! :sarcasm:

I'll never understand the hate for PW here. He's not very good, but he's not bad either. Probably the 5th or 6th best dman on the roster. No worse than Gryba defensively and significantly better offensively. He doesn't play over him because of the L/R shot disparity on the roster.

Made a very solid play to stay with the rush and get into scoring position on the winning goal last game. Only one other dman on the team currently displays offensive instincts like that. He also remains one of the best dmen we have at exiting the zone. I wish he was the #6 dman on a regular basis and he's not worthy of the vitriol he sees here.

Wiercioch is fine as a 6th-7th guy for now, if sheltered for offensive situations (like Rundblad for Chicago for example). Not sure if he will ever be more though, the guy needs to be more athletic to reach another level... but doesn't seem like he's able to put on more muscle. I will not have more hopes for him unless he can do that, for his skating and overall strength.

It no longer just ex-backup goalies from Buffalo linking Richardson to the Buffalo HC job

Would be a terrible loss to our system. First KK, now Richardson.

Not sure it would be that big of a loss, depending on who replace him. But the next GM after Murray will be able to pick up his staff. Richardson did well when he had stacked teams, and nothing of note in the playoffs.

I'm more annoyed that Buffalo is constantly raiding our managerial staff. They should just go away.

But this board says that our management sucks... So, make up your mind. Whine for something, but not ALSO for the opposite. lol

Take a deep breath!

(Disclaimer : don't flame, it's just a general comment, I'm not targeting anybody in particular, 95% of those who annoy me are already on my ignore list anyway. Not sure why I desperately keep doing that, like if there was some kind of hope that the fanbase will change and grow a spine. So if you think the hat fits you, it's not my problem.)

This fanbase have the tiniest skin you could ever imagine. Everything turns into panic and paranoia, even rumours.

Interesting quotes,

Originally Posted by B.Murray on trading for E.Kane

"It was more than I was willing to give up,"

Thanks Murray... Would have sucked to lose Puempel, Paul and the two 2nds... and a veteran (MacArthur would compare but he is signed longer)

This happens when people take things for granted rather than going through the motions

This happens when the organization is a gong show and no one really knows how to run things (since Murray is obviously less involved than he would like to be)

100% speculation though. Just because it doesn't go like you would like, it doesn't mean you really have an idea of the reality. It's their business and I don't mind it, I'm just a fan and I have the right to choose to cheer for any team I want.

Last edited:

h2

Mar 26, 2002
But this board says that our management sucks... So, make up your mind. Whine for something, but not ALSO for the opposite. lol

I've never made the claim that our management sucks.

PS. Lol

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
100% speculation though. Just because it doesn't go like you would like, it doesn't mean you really have an idea of the reality. It's their business and I don't mind it, I'm just a fan and I have the right to choose to cheer for any team I want.

I don't understand what that has to do with lack of communication between different sections of management

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If management wanted Wideman to get a game, they need to do more than imply it when they called him up. We had a LD go down to injury, had an extra LD sitting in the pressbox, and they called up a RD. Sorry, but to me that screams him being an extra body just in case it's needed. Sure Wideman might be better than Wiercioch, but they don't play the same side, so it's moot point unless Wideman can play the Left side (certainly possible).
The fact they already had three right shot defencemen who were healthy is one reason & another could be that they had a guy in the pressbox who has been here all yr & should be the next guy into the lineup when there is an injury. I think it would have been very unfair to Wiercioch to have Wideman put into the lineup ahead of him. Hammond has been up for a while now & I doubt he gets into the lineup unless Lehner gets hurt.

Yeah, Weir has had enough time to put on a few pounds of muscle. Not sure why he hasn't done it. As a defenseman, he can't slide by without that strength.

I view him as the lowest D on the roster quite easily. Doubtful he's a Sen next year. It's sad though....I had really high hopes for him a few years ago.
Wiercioch is signed for next season so unless he is traded he will be in Ottawa next yr & given how little he has played this yr & his deficiencies, I'm not sure if anyone else would want him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad