Around the NHL XL: Extra Large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
No experience at all. What has Leetch done to warrant a spot on the coaching staff? He is the worst captain we've had in the last 30 years. He can't lead. That's not a good sign for an assistant coach. Let him start in the ECHL. I am so tired of people giving free passes to former great players. No Messier or Leetch in the coaching staff please

They have the only Stanley cup since color TV. They deserve what ever the hell they want.

*Bob Richards*

The Sharks have to figure something out. They can't expect to score 3 goals on their first 7 shots and for Martin Jones to stop 40+ for another two games.

Or can they? I'm not saying its impossible but man is it such an awful way to muscle through it. :laugh:

They have the only Stanley cup since color TV. They deserve what ever the hell they want.

Could not disagree with this logic more.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Players should earn the spot on the coaching staff by showing they can actually coach. Beukeboom has done a good job in Hartford and can get the job. Leetch should start at the bottom, just like everyone else.

We all saw what happened when Gretzky was coaching.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Players should earn the spot on the coaching staff by showing they can actually coach. Beukeboom has done a good job in Hartford and can get the job. Leetch should start at the bottom, just like everyone else.

We all saw what happened when Gretzky was coaching.
Maybe we bring in leetch to do Special skills coach for the defense.. Kinda like what gonchar is doing in Pittsburgh.. Have him work with all the dmen in the system... Help mcdonagh skjei and graves develop a more offensive game. Help staal mcilraith girardi Klein with stick handling and passing from the backend

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
This expansion draft is just the cherry on top of a frustratingly declining league for me. It might just be because I'm getting old, but the salary cap and the rule changes and the general desire to perpetuate mediocrity (by preventing money enabled dynasties) has nearly ruined the sport for me. If the Rangers are forced to part with a key player in the expansion draft, after already having been forced to part with several because of the cap, so that an otherwise doomed team in an awful market can be propped up from day one I'll be pissed.

Well, maybe I would have been pissed if I still cared. I'm just like meh at this point.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
This expansion draft is just the cherry on top of a frustratingly declining league for me. It might just be because I'm getting old, but the salary cap and the rule changes and the general desire to perpetuate mediocrity (by preventing money enabled dynasties) has nearly ruined the sport for me. If the Rangers are forced to part with a key player in the expansion draft, after already having been forced to part with several because of the cap, so that an otherwise doomed team in an awful market can be propped up from day one I'll be pissed.

Well, maybe I would have been pissed if I still cared. I'm just like meh at this point.
the worst thing is we get screwed because the league already over expanded...
there are already like 10 teams with "internal caps" aka the president says i refuse to put my own money into it, only spend what the team can make back...

they keep the salary cap low and it hurts teams like us and chicago.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
the worst thing is we get screwed because the league already over expanded...
there are already like 10 teams with "internal caps" aka the president says i refuse to put my own money into it, only spend what the team can make back...

they keep the salary cap low and it hurts teams like us and chicago.

All so that we the fans can have the pleasure of watching a watered down product whose outcome is often decided by poor refereeing and/or lucky bounces. Man, I'm even more cynical than I thought I was.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I also miss the dynasty years where we got to pay guys like Holik $9m a year. And yeah, the league making us sign guys like Redden and Richards, as well as overpaying guys like Girardi and Glass, what a bunch of jerks...

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I guess the English soccer league and its 5 powerhouse teams surrounded by a bunch of garbage is the better way of doing things.

In before someone brings up Leicester City.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I guess the English soccer league and its 5 powerhouse teams surrounded by a bunch of garbage is the better way of doing things.

Opposing viewpoints, who knew? And yes, I actually prefer that system in just about every way including no playoffs and relegation.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Salary Cap was the best thing to happen to the Rangers in the last 20 years. Remember here in 05 before the league rebooted when people were flipping their lids when the Rangers didn't sign Forsberg and Khaubeboulin? Does Lundqvist develop the same with Khabby in net? They already had Weekes and you know Henrik would have started in the minors no mater how well he played. Whose to say he doesn't get a Cherneski like injury there?

Hawks and Kings have been competitive and Dynasty-esque for the last six years. You gotta draft the right players with killer instinct who can step it up and perform under pressure. These aren't always first rounders; Justin Williams, Joel Ward, Nikita Kucherov, Connor Shearey. Esa Tikkanen and Claude Lemeiux are known for their playoff legends.

Rangers have been much better since the lockout, not perfect but much better. Only two issues are making two drafting blunders (Giroux and Tarasenko) and at times signing the wrong UFAs. Talent can be found, just have to make the right decisions.

I cannot stand this whole "Hey, they gave us 1994 so let's give them the keys to the kingdom" thing in reference to Leetch or anyone else. Yeah, Bryan Trottier worked out real well here because of his Cups, and Nystrom was also an assistant coach in the 80s for crying out loud.

Beuk has put in the work, Housley has put in the work, Brad Shaw has put in the work, etc. These guys are professional coaches. Any of them would be fine. Rick Bowness, John Paddock....guys that were coaching when I was a kid.

I love 1994 as much as the next guy but work to win a Cup every 20-30 years with a different core and not leftovers. That's reasonable to me.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Not just Leicester, but the no 6 - 10 teams in the Premier League would be top4 teams in countries like Portugal, France, Russia, Greece, Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden and many other leagues.

More often than not, players from these countries' top-3 teams go to clubs like Everton, Southampton, Swansea, West Ham and Sunderland and struggle to keep up.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Opposing viewpoints, who knew? And yes, I actually prefer that system in just about every way including no playoffs and relegation.

No playoffs? No comment.

Relegation? Never gonna happen. No one in the world gives a **** about the AHL. Once a team is relegated, they would financially collapse.

And I guess I like a league where I don't know who'll win the game before it even starts.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
it's not the same thing but it generally accomplishes the same thing. a knockout tournament that generally ends with top teams.

In a best-of-7, yes. But the FA Cup has a 1-game knock-out in most rounds which means the big teams are less likely to win it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad