NHL Around the NHL XIV: Marlies zamboni driver leads Whalercanes to a victory in Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Is it just me, or has there been an uptick in hockey on-ice near-death cardiac experiences in the last 5 or 6 years? Pevs, Bouwmeester, and Cunningham come to mind instantly. Maybe it's because hockey's the sport I focus the most on, but I don't hear that much in football about cardiac episodes.

I'm glad he seems to be doing well, and that he got taken care of quickly. He was a tough player to play against last June, and I hope he makes a good recovery and makes the right decisions for him going forward.

Reactions: BMC and Lady Rhian

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Confirmed, he had a heart attack on the bench last night.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but there's a slight difference between heart attack and cardiac arrest. Heart attack/myocardial ischemia is basically an imbalance between oxygen demand of the heart muscle and oxygen supply. Cardiac arrest means your heart stops beating - the most common cause being a heart attack, but arrhythmias and heart failure can do it too. Cunningham had arrest, and lost a leg - I think due to an infection from a bypass machine, but I could be misremembering.

Reactions: BMC

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Is it just me, or has there been an uptick in hockey on-ice near-death cardiac experiences in the last 5 or 6 years? Pevs, Bouwmeester, and Cunningham come to mind instantly. Maybe it's because hockey's the sport I focus the most on, but I don't hear that much in football about cardiac episodes.

I'm glad he seems to be doing well, and that he got taken care of quickly. He was a tough player to play against last June, and I hope he makes a good recovery and makes the right decisions for him going forward.
Peverley's condition was known to doctors as it was identified in pre season medicals. Cunnigham and Bouwmeester seem to be the two random ones.

I know McAvoy had a heart issue that they went in and fixed a few years ago that had been diagnosed prior to him coming to the Bruins.

There are probably others that have had similar procedures like McAvoy but we just don't know about them.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Habs statement out today saying Weber 4 to 6 weeks with ankle sprain.Was looked at in Minnesota report said.But Nick Kypreos tweeting out something way worse about career could be over.I have to believe habs here. Kipper credibility will be mud if he is wrong.Way out on a limb he went.

DGS

Jan 21, 2014
Portland, OR
I think the NHL should look at this Roenick situation as further evidence that the repeated head injuries are causing former players serious lifelong consequences.

I'm mean how stupid do you have to be to say things like that on one of the most widely heard hockey podcasts there is? It blows me away.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
NBC fires JR

He's always been an entitled DB...chickened out when he could have played for his hometown and signed with Philly.....part of one of the most unlikeable US teams ever in Nagano...he's one of those guys that thinks he's funny, and he's just cringeworthy... To talk about someone like KT the way he did threw her into a light that she never deserved to be in...She's worked hard to get to where she is and being a woman in sports in that kind of position it cannot be easy....and he should have known better....His Sharp comments were inappropriate as well. Good riddance.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I think the NHL should look at this Roenick situation as further evidence that the repeated head injuries are causing former players serious lifelong consequences.

I'm mean how stupid do you have to be to say things like that on one of the most widely heard hockey podcasts there is? It blows me away.

He's always struck me as the spoiled prep school, dumb jock type that's probably a lush and overestimates his self importance.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Well now that they have their savior Jack Campbell between the pipes . . .

Leafs being Leafs they will of course oversell what Campbell can do for them, but he is definitely an upgrade on Hutchinson and a good pickup. Gives them a reliable backup that should allow Andersen to play less games. Already we see his impact - had Hutchinson been in net then they lose that game to Arizona in regulation, rather than getting the 2 points in OT. For an organisation that's made a lot of bad decisions in recent years, this was a good one.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Leafs being Leafs they will of course oversell what Campbell can do for them, but he is definitely an upgrade on Hutchinson and a good pickup. Gives them a reliable backup that should allow Andersen to play less games. Already we see his impact - had Hutchinson been in net then they lose that game to Arizona in regulation, rather than getting the 2 points in OT. For an organisation that's made a lot of bad decisions in recent years, this was a good one.

And that's the whole point, not that Campbell isn't a decent backup :)

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He's always been an entitled DB...chickened out when he could have played for his hometown and signed with Philly.....part of one of the most unlikeable US teams ever in Nagano...he's one of those guys that thinks he's funny, and he's just cringeworthy... To talk about someone like KT the way he did threw her into a light that she never deserved to be in...She's worked hard to get to where she is and being a woman in sports in that kind of position it cannot be easy....and he should have known better....His Sharp comments were inappropriate as well. Good riddance.

spot on amigo

well earned termination.

gurianov with a quick goal on the laffs

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Gurianov is the guy I look at when I want to write Senny off. Senny can hopefully be him next year

*like*

Yup, sometimes these kids with all the tools take some time to find their tool box to put them in...but when they do they can be impactful

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Bob is having a very bad season.

The two 10+M G in NHL are certainly not making a good case for spending this much on a G.

Rask+Halak = 9,75M = Jennings = SCF

Price = 10,5M = overrated = 4th DNQ in 5 years

Reactions: BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad