Around the NHL XIV: Game on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I think they are the two best goalies. Only reason I think Rinne has a big edge is because Nashville went from a bottom team to one of the top in league, plus Rinne had some pretty serious injuries last year

Interesting thing though... there's a stat on hockey-reference called GSAA, which is goals saved above average.

I think with the exception of the year where Brodeur robbed Luongo of the Vezina, for something like 15 years straight the leader in that category won the Vezina. Right now Quick has a 10, Rinne has around 7.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
...for those who can watch it.

Stupid damned Sportsnet. Bought Center Ice, got the 4 regular Sportsnet channels, paid extra for the SportsNet One.....but oh no, they just had to put that freaking game on SportsNet 360. :rant: :rant: :rant:

I hate, hate, hate this new TV setup.

Firstrowsports...for those of us who are too poor for real T.V.

BigBush*

Interesting thing though... there's a stat on hockey-reference called GSAA, which is goals saved above average.

I think with the exception of the year where Brodeur robbed Luongo of the Vezina, for something like 15 years straight the leader in that category won the Vezina. Right now Quick has a 10, Rinne has around 7.
Wow that's pretty cool. Never heard of that stat before

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
...for those who can watch it.

Stupid damned Sportsnet. Bought Center Ice, got the 4 regular Sportsnet channels, paid extra for the SportsNet One.....but oh no, they just had to put that freaking game on SportsNet 360. :rant: :rant: :rant:

I hate, hate, hate this new TV setup.

I think I got very lucky with Telus. Their one Sports package ($9/month) literally has ALL the hockey channels (TSN1-5, SN, SN1, SN360) except for FX, which only shows 1 game (American teams) on Saturday.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think I got very lucky with Telus. Their one Sports package ($9/month) literally has ALL the hockey channels (TSN1-5, SN, SN1, SN360) except for FX, which only shows 1 game (American teams) on Saturday.

Lucky.

Videotron sucks. The won't sell Center Ice separately, you need to buy their "Sportsmax" Package at $39 per month, then SportsNet one and SportsNet 360 must be bought separately also. Ends up being nearly $50 per month to get all of it. Only one I skipped out on was SN 360.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
:laugh:

You know though, for all the flak that Edmonton gets now... I have a vague recollection of LA being this bad between the Gretzky era and the emergence of Quick and Doughty... Heck, Labarbera was their starter for a season or two iirc.

Just trying to remember what the difference between the two franchises is that everyone seems to have forgotten how terrible LA was just a few years previous

I don't forget these things... Chicago and Pittsburgh were very bad for a while too. For me, it takes away a lot of the "shine". How hard it is to ice good teams when you have Crosby and Malkin? Toews and Kane?

To me a true model of success are the Detroit Red Wings

I don't think Stewart is a slow skater but would admit he isn't as fast as Hoffman, few are but I think there is room for both on a team if they both can contribute something to a roster in need of what they bring. Hoffman brings speed but so did Conacher, the difference IMO is that Hoffman is scoring which is why he is sticking. Stone doesn't bring speed but he does score & set up plays which is why he sticks. Both are different but both contribute to the success of the team. While I still like Stewart I now think that Stafford would be the better acquisition at this time.

Stafford is contributing, has decent speed, decent size, good two way defensive forward & has 12 pts last time I looked. He wouldn't cost all that much since they were basically trying to give him away not all that long ago. I know he is not a sexy young elite player but he would add experience, leadership, some grit & scoring to the lineup & would allow Ryan to move back up with Turris & MacArthur.

We may have a different opinion on what it is Ottawa needs but I don't dismiss speed, I do dismiss small & soft though basically because of what we saw in that St Louis game where it became a very rough game. If they can score consistently though that's another story. On the other hand, they are trying to take fighting out of the NHL unfortunately IMO the result is more guys like Laperriere & stick play. Interesting though that over the last few yrs Ottawa along with Montreal & a couple of other teams have all gotten bigger. ;)

Ottawa has been among bigger teams for a while (however EP doesn't keep track of that)... I'm not sure why you're putting Montreal and Ottawa in the same sentence ;)

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league_home.php?leagueid=7&sort=ht

Ottawa : 3rd in height, 8th in weight, 5th in age
Montreal : 30th in height, 10th in weight, 29th in age

Anyway, my point was if we acquire Stewart or Stafford, where do they fit?

MacArthur-C-Ryan
Hoffman-C-Stone
Michalek-C-Chiasson

I want those guys to be the top-9 wingers. I'm sure all of these rumours are just somehow sticking from the past. That's before Stone, Hoffman and Chiasson proved their worth.

The only trade that's worth to do on forwards is some kind of Bobby Ryan trade...

Wow that's pretty cool. Never heard of that stat before

Yeah cool Caeldan, I feel weird as a goalie not having heard about that

http://ingoalmag.com/analysis/gsaa-essential-statistic-evaluating-goaltenders/

However, I'm not sure it's the perfect stat as it relies to the number of shots faced... What does it tell about the Quality of shots?

Lucky.

Videotron sucks. The won't sell Center Ice separately, you need to buy their "Sportsmax" Package at $39 per month, then SportsNet one and SportsNet 360 must be bought separately also. Ends up being nearly $50 per month to get all of it. Only one I skipped out on was SN 360.

lol what? I was paying like 360$ per year before so now it's up to 468$? freaking thieves. I'm not talking 20 years ago... maybe 6 years the last time I subscribed.

I don't know where you live but where I am (St-Bruno currently, but going back to Mexico soon) the coverage is pretty good (don't need GCI anymore). RDS + TSN + TVA + Sportsnet + NHLN is pretty much all you need to get all Sens and Habs games plus a ******** of other NHL games.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
lol what? I was paying like 360$ per year before so now it's up to 468$? freaking thieves. I'm not talking 20 years ago... maybe 6 years the last time I subscribed.

I don't know where you live but where I am (St-Bruno currently, but going back to Mexico soon) the coverage is pretty good (don't need GCI anymore). RDS + TSN + TVA + Sportsnet + NHLN is pretty much all you need to get all Sens and Habs games plus a ******** of other NHL games.

Yep. I tried to get just the Center Ice on it's own, but they don't seem to want to do that, at least not for the Ontario subscribers (about an hour and a half east of Ottawa...closer to Montreal along the 174 than Ottawa). Now it's part of a bundle called "sportsmax"....like I want to watch basketball or college football. That junk is already on a ton of basic US channels.

They will package up TSN 1-5, RDS, and the basic Sportsnet (East, Ont, West, pacific), but all the other channels are pretty much separate purchases. So you need to shell out for TVA, Sportsnet 1, Sportsnet 360...and whatever else comes up. And the rates have gone up this fall as well. Really sucks.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Yep. I tried to get just the Center Ice on it's own, but they don't seem to want to do that, at least not for the Ontario subscribers (about an hour and a half east of Ottawa...closer to Montreal along the 174 than Ottawa). Now it's part of a bundle called "sportsmax"....like I want to watch basketball or college football. That junk is already on a ton of basic US channels.

They will package up TSN 1-5, RDS, and the basic Sportsnet (East, Ont, West, pacific), but all the other channels are pretty much separate purchases. So you need to shell out for TVA, Sportsnet 1, Sportsnet 360...and whatever else comes up. And the rates have gone up this fall as well. Really sucks.
Good. These greedy ******** are digging their own grave quick.
Cable is doomed. You already can just ditch it all together and for $10 a month watch all hockey games whenever you want with GCL or Hockeystreams. I use Roku3 + HS combo and it offers me so much more than most expensive cable package ever could.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Here's the current top 3 (28 Nov 2014):
Player|GP|Sv%|GSAA
Jonathan Quick|18|.932|10.20
Pekka Rinne|19|.932|9.56
Craig Anderson|12|.932|7.79

One thing to point out, this stat basically inflates based on how many shots you've faced. So with both Quick and Rinne having a lot more games played, they move up the list. Anderson is as high as he is because the team faces tons of shots (and he has a high sv%). If Anderson had played the same number of games as Quick or Rinne, he'd have face more shots than either and with the same sv% would be ahead on the metric. Elliot for example is well back of Anderson with near the same sv% (.931) despit playing two more games because he faced 70 less shots.

Top 10 base on per 60 mins:

Player | GP | GA | SV% | MIN | GSAA | GSAA/60
Michael Hutchinson | 7 | 8 | 0.947 | 321 | 4.89 | 0.9140
Calvin Pickard | 5 | 10 | 0.933 | 268 | 2.89 | 0.6470
Craig Anderson | 12 | 29 | 0.932 | 732 | 7.79 | 0.6385
Martin Jones | 6 | 9 | 0.938 | 322 | 3.38 | 0.6298
Jonathan Quick | 18 | 40 | 0.932 | 1082 | 10.2 | 0.5656
Pekka Rinne | 19 | 36 | 0.932 | 1160 | 9.56 | 0.4945
Brian Elliott | 14 | 25 | 0.931 | 824 | 5.95 | 0.4333
Roberto Luongo | 17 | 37 | 0.927 | 954 | 6.67 | 0.4195
John Gibson | 4 | 9 | 0.927 | 237 | 1.57 | 0.3975
Devan Dubnyk | 7 | 15 | 0.926 | 385 | 2.45 | 0.3818

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Well, this "sportsmax" bundle existed for a while, like eight years ago. IIRC, the first few years I had GCI on it's own but then they "forced me" to pay the whole package of sports. Since I don't like that kind of way of making business, I said "go to hell". Thankfully now there's TVA

Good. These greedy ******** are digging their own grave quick.
Cable is doomed. You already can just ditch it all together and for $10 a month watch all hockey games whenever you want with GCL or Hockeystreams. I use Roku3 + HS combo and it offers me so much more than most expensive cable package ever could.

Is it what I should do when I'm back to Mexico?

If not what's the best option? Ideally, I'd like to get it on TV but at worst I'll just an HDMI cable and link my laptop on a TV

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Hockeystreams is the best thing to watch HD hockey but it might get shutdown so there's a risk but it's 100$ a year I think so it isn't a huge risk

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Here's the current top 3 (28 Nov 2014):
Player|GP|Sv%|GSAA
Jonathan Quick|18|.932|10.20
Pekka Rinne|19|.932|9.56
Craig Anderson|12|.932|7.79

One thing to point out, this stat basically inflates based on how many shots you've faced. So with both Quick and Rinne having a lot more games played, they move up the list. Anderson is as high as he is because the team faces tons of shots (and he has a high sv%). If Anderson had played the same number of games as Quick or Rinne, he'd have face more shots than either and with the same sv% would be ahead on the metric. Elliot for example is well back of Anderson with near the same sv% (.931) despit playing two more games because he faced 70 less shots.

Top 10 base on per 60 mins:

Player | GP | GA | SV% | MIN | GSAA | GSAA/60
Michael Hutchinson | 7 | 8 | 0.947 | 321 | 4.89 | 0.9140
Calvin Pickard | 5 | 10 | 0.933 | 268 | 2.89 | 0.6470
Craig Anderson | 12 | 29 | 0.932 | 732 | 7.79 | 0.6385
Martin Jones | 6 | 9 | 0.938 | 322 | 3.38 | 0.6298
Jonathan Quick | 18 | 40 | 0.932 | 1082 | 10.2 | 0.5656
Pekka Rinne | 19 | 36 | 0.932 | 1160 | 9.56 | 0.4945
Brian Elliott | 14 | 25 | 0.931 | 824 | 5.95 | 0.4333
Roberto Luongo | 17 | 37 | 0.927 | 954 | 6.67 | 0.4195
John Gibson | 4 | 9 | 0.927 | 237 | 1.57 | 0.3975
Devan Dubnyk | 7 | 15 | 0.926 | 385 | 2.45 | 0.3818

Even on the /60 basis... It's Quick and Rinne as the top options with enough starts/wins (13/8 based on 20gp per team) to be considered.

I just thought it crazy how reliable that stat was to identify the Vezina winner.

BigBush*

Hockeystreams is the best thing to watch HD hockey but it might get shutdown so there's a risk but it's 100$ a year I think so it isn't a huge risk

do you ever have problems with it being choppy? the last few sens games ive watched have been choppy to the point i cant watch the game. so damn frustrating

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Going to shut down the HS discussion for now.. Is taking over the thread and is OT...

We're not to have threads devoted to 'illegal streams'

I'd say to discuss your cable options, the lounge thread is slightly more on topic for an extended conversation

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Well you can now probably add the Flyers as another team that will most likely be competing for a bottom 5 draft pick.

So how many teams seem to be currently battling for a top 5 pick?

Sabres, Oilers, Hurricanes, Jackets, Flyers, Avs and Coyotes. Then there is the Stars and the Devils who also may end up battling for a top 5 pick as well.

BigBush*

Blues are going to score at least 5 tonight. They are playing keep away in the Oilers zone

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Well you can now probably add the Flyers as another team that will most likely be competing for a bottom 5 draft pick.

So how many teams seem to be currently battling for a top 5 pick?

Sabres, Oilers, Hurricanes, Jackets, Flyers, Avs and Coyotes. Then there is the Stars and the Devils who also may end up battling for a top 5 pick as well.

Going to be a lot of unusual finishes to the end of the season from now on.

This year any team missing the playoffs has a chance at first overall.

After this year pick numbers 1, 2, and 3 will be up for grabs. I'm sure a lot of teams on the cusp of making the playoffs will likely have strangely poor efforts at the end of the season, especially if they have a high need for a position player available in the top 3.

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007
Going to be a lot of unusual finishes to the end of the season from now on.

This year any team missing the playoffs has a chance at first overall.

After this year pick numbers 1, 2, and 3 will be up for grabs. I'm sure a lot of teams on the cusp of making the playoffs will likely have strangely poor efforts at the end of the season, especially if they have a high need for a position player available in the top 3.

I seriously doubt a bunch of professional athletes are going to put forth a poor effort to get a high pick as opposed to making the playoffs. Making playoffs>getting a high pick is the mindset of every player in the league.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I seriously doubt a bunch of professional athletes are going to put forth a poor effort to get a high pick as opposed to making the playoffs. Making playoffs>getting a high pick is the mindset of every player in the league.

Not much players can do when an owner or GM trades away core guys for futures, prospects and picks. Players may not tank, but organizations sure do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad